Reply Painting and Modelling Discussion
Need help to start something new

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Chaos_Command_Magican

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:22 pm
I have played Orcs for the longest time, and they are so much fun, I want to start a Space Marine amy aswell.

Only thing is I am not so good at painting the maines as I am at painting Orcs, any helpful hints?  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:19 pm
well, marines are actually easier to paint than orcs, with large areas of armor easily painted... and lots of painting guides out there... even me who has proficiency in brush comparable to drunken ogryn, managed to paint army of them  

Van Evok

Dangerous Hunter

8,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Person of Interest 200

Caleidah

Eloquent Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:22 pm

Make sure that your paint doesn't get too thick. That's the best advice that I can give. The other thing to remember is that you can always add paint easily, but it's much harder to take it off.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:48 pm
get really good at painting straight edges sweatdrop  

RevlinHeartsblood

Chaos_Command_Magican

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:06 am
thanks, mrgreen

But my bigest problem is painting human faces, like scouts and some of the space marine HQ guys, it can really hard to make them look cool crying  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:11 pm
Use inks and washes, it's a real easy way to get shading on the faces.

Also, basecoat the Marines black and paint over that. It looks really bad to have stark grey plastic in all the crevices in their armor.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Shinobi_8745

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:43 pm
I pick the paint I want for skin (dwarf flesh, tallarn flesh, whatever), give it a soft wash of either devlan mud or ogryn flesh, and a slight highlight of the colour I used first, when doing more advanced looks I paint it from brown all the way to bleached bone highlights.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:45 pm
Van Evok
well, marines are actually easier to paint than orcs, with large areas of armor easily painted... and lots of painting guides out there... even me who has proficiency in brush comparable to drunken ogryn, managed to paint army of them

i wouldnt say that. my friend is a HORRIBLE painter, but his orks dont look half bad as messy as they are. orks are supposed to look messy.  

DakkaDevil

dustelemental

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:25 pm
personaly i try to avoid faces at all cost i can easilly do armour but i am terrible at faces lol.  
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games