Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply PathWays
Asatru and Germanic Paganism Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:50 pm
Ulfrikr inn Hrafn
Heilsan Tea,

There was an exchange of hostages, which is a very common practice in the Germanic traditions, so much so that it seems to have been specifically mentioned in a few annals and other locations by outside parties. Indeed, one text I am reading at the moment mentions that trade would only take place once hostages had been exchanged. So, essentially it is a surety and lets face it, neither side was winning the war, even though the Aesir started proceedings. Although there is a lot of metaphor running through the whole episode too.

Ver thu heil
My point was more that what survives as religious source texts is centered upon one grouping of tribal deities, over a couple of the others.

Which is all well and good. I don't really care. But like so many other forms of tribal worship wherein one tribe and their lore dominated, I'm not in a position where I can denounce an entire group of divine beings as evil without first noting that it may well be a case of history (and thus justification) being written by the victor.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:32 pm
Synnthetika
What about Odinic sacrifice? Does it happen now? What does it entail? What did it entail in the era of our ancestors?

Depends on whether you're talking the "he'll take you" type of sacrifice or sacrifice a la "I gave myself to Odin, myself to myself" type.

The former, boom, smush, dead.

The latter, it's a lot more personal. Because you're not really sacrificing yourself to Odin - you are sacrificing yourself to YOURSELF.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:40 pm
TeaDidikai
Let's face it, depending on how you slice it there are over three different groups of what amounted to tribal pantheons in popular Norse myth.

I think we're seeing a lot of history being written by the victor.

of which i need to constantly remind myself. thank you, 3nodding

Ulfrikr inn Hrafn
Firstly, I have read a bit of Krassova's stuff, and frankly, most of it made me want to throw the book into the recycling, or fire. But, I still have it, if only as a reference if I need to stand up and give direct examples of things that I have issue with.

i used to carry SilverWolf for just that reason; i decided more Sagas and the like were more important for my own sanity when perusing my library.

Ulfrikr inn Hrafn
As to the ordeals, frankly, that's just masochism.

i believe there is significant energy and power in a number of the blood, pain and humiliation acts. the tattoo on my right inner wrist is testament to that, as well as the fact that i was continually reminded to stay present instead of "winging away" like i do with persistent pain.

i believe consent is required though, prior to the act.

Ulfrikr inn Hrafn
One of my big issues is that it seems that the Giants are continually considered to be the enemies of the Gods and Goddesses, it is written in our lore that our Gods and Goddesses have been aided, and indeed have married Giants, so for everyone to assume that all Giants are out to get us and the Aesir/Vanir is poor generalisation ala generic Viking Mythology books. Anyone whom knows our ancestral traditions should know much better.

agreed. Skadi gives the impression of aligning herself with the Aesir. Thor is son of a giantess.

my ease of mind is put to the test when i hear a festival or ritual is dedicated, without reservation, to all of the Etins, by those who profess to worship the Aesir.

godhi
I should mention that I've never had a very good relationship with Tyr. Maybe my connection to Odin makes it difficult to connect with him, but Tyr has always been cold and distant with me.

xd i wonder if the opposite might explain my hesitancy with Odin.

godhi
On the other hand, Loki is always offering to change my luck--but as the trickster, his offers of help always come at a cost to my sanity and sense of well-being.

that one...i don't know what to think or how to act. yes, he does bring about many a thing that i'd rather not experience. but everything seems to work itself out for the better once he's done.

godhi
I won't talk about my relationship with his daughter. sweatdrop

i can't get out of my head a friend who gets up to make her offerings. she's british and tends to slur quickly through the names of her Ladies. all i can ever hear is "Freya, Frigg 'n Hel" and i start giggling.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:37 am
saint dreya
TeaDidikai
Let's face it, depending on how you slice it there are over three different groups of what amounted to tribal pantheons in popular Norse myth.

I think we're seeing a lot of history being written by the victor.

of which i need to constantly remind myself. thank you, 3nodding
Happy to help. It can be kinda tricky to keep that in mind.  

TeaDidikai

PathWays

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces