Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Gaian Art Mentors
Question on pseudo-anime heads?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

mascarpone pudding

Conservative Millionaire

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:38 pm
I hope its ok that I post this question, as IfearErrolyellingatme. . . >>

But to the point.
I've recently found it super hard to draw heads.
In any way, shape-or-form.
Even anime characters have faces that look like this;
( 9W9 )
And that 9 w 9 is two eyes and a mouth people D;

I'm trying to figure out how to draw faces more like this;
"For Adri" by Jinju@Deviantart.

I don't wanna trace because I won't learn anything, and with googling a tutorial its hard to find anything remotely near that.

I know, I'm probably incompetent and a 7 year-old will come in to this thread ready to bat me over the head. . . But I just don't understand it, and want to be able to do it so-very-badly.

So my questions are:
How do I draw heads much like that?
Would I start off with a basic egg shape?

And thank you everyone who had helped me with my computer problem and programs being slow on it, I got a faster one for my birthday.
smile

-Leeā™„

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:23 am
haha i wouldn't fret your problems with drawing heads. its is actually one of the most difficult things to draw. and that's because of the multiple and subtle shifts in planes on our faces. and that is especially dificult with the style you're going for.

there is no right or wrong way to draw a head really. just as long as you find a way that works for you. personally i use a semi complex method that Rodin used/taught. its similar to the sphere/jaw 3 lines approach

the hard part about what you're trying to do is that is not alot of info in the picture depicting plane changes. so you really need a good understanding of forms to pull it off. if you really wanna accomplish something similar i highly recommend learning to draw it normally (haha i know that really relative but i mean in a way that shows all the shadow and light information) then once you really understand the form you can start to develop your style from there

if you need any help on the drawing formulas let me know i have some drawing guides i made some where i could upload for you. thought it might be alittle different since i use the 5 eye techniques

i hope tha helped. i feel i came off kinda vague <_<  

Folken_Schezar
Crew

mascarpone pudding

Conservative Millionaire

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:25 am
Folken_Schezar
haha i wouldn't fret your problems with drawing heads. its is actually one of the most difficult things to draw. and that's because of the multiple and subtle shifts in planes on our faces. and that is especially dificult with the style you're going for.

there is no right or wrong way to draw a head really. just as long as you find a way that works for you. personally i use a semi complex method that Rodin used/taught. its similar to the sphere/jaw 3 lines approach

the hard part about what you're trying to do is that is not alot of info in the picture depicting plane changes. so you really need a good understanding of forms to pull it off. if you really wanna accomplish something similar i highly recommend learning to draw it normally (haha i know that really relative but i mean in a way that shows all the shadow and light information) then once you really understand the form you can start to develop your style from there

if you need any help on the drawing formulas let me know i have some drawing guides i made some where i could upload for you. thought it might be alittle different since i use the 5 eye techniques

i hope tha helped. i feel i came off kinda vague <_<

I'd love to see them :3

Ahhh. . . So do a lot of artists have problems drawing faces then?

If thats vague I wonder what very descriptive is from you o.o

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:06 pm
yea like i said its really hard sometimes i still have problems and i've been drawing for about 20 years. but its always a problem when i skip steps i skip some line some where and i can't make it look quite right you know.

haha i dunno i feel its vague cause there is just so much to keep in mind when you're drawing faces. brow cheek bones jawline subtle change of the front of the face to the side. but also i don't wanna like lecture for like 4 hours XD

did you look at the head/faces links in the tutorial section yet. mines pretty old and super simplified but i'll keep looking if you want or just make another XD  

Folken_Schezar
Crew

Jekkl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:04 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oijiDVVif4Y

Watch this for an answer on how to draw nice anime heads  
Gaian Art Mentors

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items