Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Gods in the home.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Aeradia

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:59 pm
If you honor a particular deity, do you think it's possible for them to cause influence over your home, and especially over your family? For example, affecting the families actions and thought patterns? Or could the deity cause influence only through the individual honoring them? Mind you, I am not talking about total possession by a negative energy (even though it might be considered possession by some).

Thoughts?  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:58 pm
Aeradia
If you honor a particular deity, do you think it's possible for them to cause influence over your home, and especially over your family?
I should hope so. If not, all those petitions are quite a waste of time.
Quote:

For example, affecting the families actions and thought patterns?
~blinkblink~ I... I shudder at the idea of Saint Sarah affecting an Isakane.

That would be ******** horrific, with the English accent and everything...

Quote:
Or could the deity cause influence only through the individual honoring them?
Don't see why it would be limited unless such was a distinct part of the relationship between the deity and the worshiper.

Quote:
Thoughts?
I'm befuddled as to why we'd think that in a home, an honest to goodness home, that we could assume that we aren't intertwined so much that we could even tell where it began and ended- especially since most deities I'm aware of don't leave fingerprints and postit notes saying "By the way- your husband giving you a foot rub? My idea. You owe me a beer. ~ Frigga"

... sweatdrop
Damn. Now I want to see that happen.  

TeaDidikai

Chaos Blue

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:57 pm
Of course, now my question's going to be,
"What about if you worship a different deity than the rest of your family?"
Then what affects who?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:19 pm
Chaos Blue
Of course, now my question's going to be,
"What about if you worship a different deity than the rest of your family?"
Then what affects who?
It can't be both a subject and a transitive verb can it?  

TeaDidikai

Collowrath

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:28 pm
Aeradia
If you honor a particular deity, do you think it's possible for them to cause influence over your home, and especially over your family?

For sure. Some of my gods are not concerned with my family at all as long as they maintain their distance - it wouldn't be appropriate for someone who doesn't maintain a purity standard to go fudging up their sacred space.

On the other hand, the domovie don't appreciate laziness and I've never gotten the impression that they cared whether or not my partner noticed or cared about them. It's their house too, and they've been here longer than we have!

Quote:
For example, affecting the families actions and thought patterns? Or could the deity cause influence only through the individual honoring them?

I think my answer here is: "Just because I don't believe in cars doesn't mean I can't be run over by one."

*shrugs* I think for the most part, Tea has said pretty much what I would in this case.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:33 am
Collowrath
It's their house too, and they've been here longer than we have!
confused

Quote:

*shrugs* I think for the most part, Tea has said pretty much what I would in this case.
:angel:  

TeaDidikai

Collowrath

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:13 am
TeaDidikai
Collowrath
It's their house too, and they've been here longer than we have!
confused

We're renting. :/ Does this have any effect on your tradition and how you view house spirits and your etiquette toward them?  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:52 pm
Collowrath

We're renting. :/ Does this have any effect on your tradition and how you view house spirits and your etiquette toward them?
I think I was more confused with the assumption the spirit was an immigrant.

As for renting, my home moves with me, it's not embodied in the foundation, but in the collection of what makes it my home- house, apartment or otherwise.  

TeaDidikai

Collowrath

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:54 pm
TeaDidikai
think I was more confused with the assumption the spirit was an immigrant.

As for renting, my home moves with me, it's not embodied in the foundation, but in the collection of what makes it my home- house, apartment or otherwise.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by immigrant.

My understanding is that sometimes the domovie aren't necessarily concerned with the family living in their house. Other times, they become part of the family and move with them to new places (apparently, they like to travel in an old boot - I'm not sure if that's family tradition or a larger cultural tradition). We gave the invitation when we lost the house and moved here, but they were content to stay. I've only ever had dealings with the ones in this place when it gets dirty. xp Which is what I meant when I said they've been here longer than us - I forgot that I hadn't given much context.

Just as a note: I'm using domovie only in the sense of a house spirit - not necessarily in the strictly Slavic sense.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:24 am
Collowrath

I'm not quite sure what you mean by immigrant.
Just as a note: I'm using domovie only in the sense of a house spirit - not necessarily in the strictly Slavic sense.
This. This is why I was looking at you funny.  

TeaDidikai

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff