review: WD 354

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 4:38 am
Okay, why? Why not?! This place could use more activity and seeing as I've got a subscription until the end of times (thanks for nothing Viks) I might as well make the most of these printed pieces of crap and tell you what to expect for the June 2009 issue.

Generally speaking this is the UK* / NE** version however seeing as the WD is written centrally the content will be the same in the US*** and OZ****.

* United Kingdom / England / Dear Old Blighty
** Northern Europe = Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Denmark, Sweden, Norway and other countries able to speak and understand English because they don't dub everything they come across
*** United States / America / Yankee Town / The Good Ol' South
**** Oceania = Australia, New Zealand and other prison colonies of semi-importance

I'm not sure on the format for reviewing a rag like this so I'll be making things up as we go along.

+ + +

What does the cover promise?
The cover proudly shows an Empire army led by an Empire captain holding aloft a severed Beastman head. "THE EMPIRE MUSTERS FOR WAR" is the title of this issue so to say. The little box on the side tells us that the War of the Ring has the Galadhrim and 40k has a new Liber Apocalyptica article about Valkyries. Oh boy!

Editorial?
Mark is having the same drivel as always about how happy he is that GW has yet again released a new slew of FANTASTIC plastic kits, books and whatnots.

Monthly Releases
The Empire is getting a crapton of mixed bag plastic kit releases, some metals and a spiffy book about their uniforms. Chaos gets a terrain set dubbed the Temple of Skulls which is a ruin dotted with huge skulls. Surprisingly Blood Bowl gets a redesigned star player model, the MIGHTY ZUG and finally War of the Ring gets several boxed sets and blisters of Elves known as Galadhrim.

News
Not a whole lot but it can be summed up:
- Planetary Empires is revealed and officially announced as coming soon
- A new BL series is announced revolving around the Empire
- Space Wolves are hinted at as being the next 40k project

Articles
Most of this month's issue is dominated by the Empire and articles about historical campaigns involving surprise surprise the new models. Six pages about the new stuff, some background etc followed by the new Steam Tank kit, its rules and some simple tactics. Further in the issue we're treated to a massive 26 page article made up of background, several battle reports and other titbits. In the back of the issue another eight pages dedicated to some fun and useful examples of simple Empire conversions.

Twenty pages are dedicated to War of the Ring, mostly going on and on about the new Elf releases plus a battle report involving them.

As for 40k? Six pages of this issue are dedicated to 40k. Which is a let down as last month the Imperial Guard was released in all its glory and already its being dropped. These six pages detail the two new datasheets for Apocalypse involving the Valkyrie. One is about using Valkyries and Vendettas as flyers in Apocalypse while the second datasheet is of "Steel Eagle", a Catachan valkyrie with snipers instead of heavy bolters and other upgrades. Nice but really disappointing.

The monthly Standard Bearer is another pointless waste of space and yes, Jervis is still a c**t. Pardon the language here but that man has written nothing but pointless drivel in his article.

Other than that there isn't much else of interest.

NEXT MONTH
Planetstrike! This might be reason for the rather pathetic 40k presence in this issue. War of the Ring will publish rules for the newly released elven warriors and Warhammer is delving into magic as the 'Eavy Metal team paints an Empire wizard for each college of magic.

Verdict?
This issue is really for the Empire players or people who enjoy reading about how to add flavour to fantasy campaigns with little hooks and snares. Other than that I rate this issue "MEH" as it really puts a heavy focus on just two things this month (Empire and WotR Elves) with very little room for other things.

Granted, I am an Empire player so this was right up my alley but I doubt a lot of the 40k players will love this issue.

So let her rip boys and girls.  
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 6:25 am
Are there any good previews of that new Empire uniform book? I'd love to get something with lots of pictures in it of uniforms, but I don't feel committed enough to delve into the world of Osprey.

And what's so special about those two datasheets?  

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:12 am
There's no real preview to speak of sadly. It's just a book full of simple drawings with uniform designs from each part of the Empire. A bit like in the back of the Empire army book really. I've got it on my wishlist and I'll review it later if need be.

As for the datasheets, one allows Valkyries and Vendettas to be flyers that can hover etc. The formation is 150 points and grants the Blind Barrage asset. Formation is made up of one command flyer, 1+ Valkyrie squadrons and any number of Vendetta squadrons flying in support.

The "Steel Eagle" is a Catachan Valkyrie that costs 200 points, has BS 5, a lascannon, rocket pods and two snipers that can fire every turn. Each sniper can once per game fire a "Champion Shot" that hits at str 10 Ap 1and rolls 2D6 for armour penetration. Is also counts as a Regimental Headquarters strategic asset.  
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:56 am
So you pay 150 points for flying Valkyries? That's pretty weak.  

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 12:50 pm
Well, there is a little box that tells you that it's okay to just field Valkyries and Vendettas as flyers without using the battle formation datasheet.  
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:05 pm
That's a relief, I'd hate having to get a pile of Valkyries and use them as a battle formation just because they are better as flyers.

Sooooo, is the mag still as much a catalogue as it's said to be?  

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:25 pm
As always, though the articles are getting slightly better, I found the Empire articles enjoyable when you push past the new stuff they are throwing at you at every turn. The War of the Ring bits I always skip so I can't tell about those but from what I glimpsed it was more of the same "buy these new kits" stuff. They had several full page ads with prices but not as severe as it used to be.  
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:34 pm
Some things never change, I wish they'd bring back the old format. Chock full of good articles, tactica that made sense and hobby articles that didn't skim on anything.

I guess it is too much to ask for what Jervis is writing about this time? xp  

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:44 pm
Let me get back to you on that tomorrow, I don't like reading his crap at night, I fear what my dreams might bring me.  
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 1:52 pm
Are his articles that bad these days? xp  

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 12:52 am
Och, you have no idea. All he keeps blathering about is how HE sees the game SHOULD be played. He likes to use the word "elegant" a lot when talking about rules he wrote. This issue is about how he started a Vampire Counts army after painting a classic WHQ witch hunter as a Vampire. He then sniffles on about how fun is it to dig up old models and add those to your armies.

Clearly the man is a genius! rolleyes  
PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:47 am
Maybe this is a way to keep Jervis happy and away from actual studio work. surprised  

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100
Review Corner

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items