Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unashamed - A Christian Discussion Guild

Back to Guilds

Tags: Christian, Discussion, Religion, Theology, Philosophy 

Reply Bible Discussion {Get in the Word}
I would love it if someone could answer this question...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Felldew

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 2:38 pm
Genesis 2:24
For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.

It says that a man leaves his family to join his wife. So if he's leaving his family, why does he keep his family name? Why don't the two of them, having both departed from their families, take on their own family name? It makes sense to me.

Discuss. Answer. Ask. Add questions.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:36 am
who knows  

no_name_avalible

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:54 pm
This is a very interesting question.

One of the things to keep in mind however, is that during the time this was written, there was no such thing as last names. People and families were identified by their professions, their tribes, and their nations. The concept of last names has only been around for a few hundred years. Even with surnames though, you could say that people continue to be identified by their professions (or the professions of their fathers or mothers), their tribes, and their nations. Names like Smith or Johnson or Reyna convey profession or family tie, or even present the image of wealth or high class.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:31 pm
This is mainly a society thing, i don't think it has a relation to the bible.

The verse was meant that the man is no longer a child in the care of his parents, but he is now a father who is to care for his own child.  

Mental Self

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:19 pm
Mental Self
This is mainly a society thing, i don't think it has a relation to the bible.

The verse was meant that the man is no longer a child in the care of his parents, but he is now a father who is to care for his own child.

Pretty much. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:47 pm
It is a patriarchal tradition whereby a wife takes a man's name because he is the head of the new family. It also hints to a man's name being his mark, something that represents him, and his mark is placed upon the woman as a sign of belonging, ownership and responsibility. The wife accepts the name and replaces her name with his as a sign of her submission to and support of her husband. It has roots in the story Genesis, specifically the latter part of God's curse against Eve.
Genesis 3:16 NIV (emphasis added)
To the woman he said,
  • "I will greatly increase your pains in childbearing;
  • with pain you will give birth to children.
  • Your desire will be for your husband,
  • and he will rule over you."

• However, it is well worth noting that patriarchal culture is not limited to only the Jewish people.  

Priestley

Pirate Munke

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:20 pm
    Priestley
    It is a patriarchal tradition whereby a wife takes a man's name because he is the head of the new family. It also hints to a man's name being his mark, something that represents him, and his mark is placed upon the woman as a sign of belonging, ownership and responsibility. The wife accepts the name and replaces her name with his as a sign of her submission to and support of her husband. It has roots in the story Genesis, specifically the latter part of God's curse against Eve.
    Genesis 3:16 NIV (emphasis added)
    To the woman he said,
  • "I will greatly increase your pains in childbearing;
  • with pain you will give birth to children.
  • Your desire will be for your husband,
  • and he will rule over you."

• However, it is well worth noting that patriarchal culture is not limited to only the Jewish people.

I did not know this! Am reading the Bible for 1st time and didn't catch that. XD  
    Bible Discussion {Get in the Word}

Manage Your Items
    Other Stuff
    Get GCash
    Offers
    Get Items
    More Items
    Where Everyone Hangs Out
    Other Community Areas
    Virtual Spaces
    Fun Stuff
    Gaia's Games