Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Your Religion and Hospitality Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

IH_Zero

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:44 pm
I don't particularly want/need help in the kitchen, either, but not due to purity laws (those can apply for sacrifices of food, though, which is a different issue). Previously, I was on a rather strict vegetarian diet, soon to be again (once I can buy my own groceries), for religious and ethical reasons. Now, my son is soon to be on a special diet which requires very specific lack of certain things commonly found in most all foods, which I will be sharing with him.

Much much easier to just do it all myself, than either trust someone to make dishes that fit those standards (which requires using seperate cookware, for my son), or lead them through it.

Help with dishes would be nice, but we have a dishwasher, so often it's just the pots and pans, which isn't much.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:31 pm
I'm actually a little insulted when people offer to help me in the kitchen, to be honest. To me, food's a very special thing--it ought to nourish the body and soul, be an artistic endeavor, and if you're cooking for other people, become a form of showing affection and friendship. When someone offers to help me cook, it feels like they're saying "I do not trust you to adequately nourish me. I reject your creativity. I reject your affection."

I know that's not what they're saying, that's just what it feels like. Maybe I'm just odd. sweatdrop

As far as helping with cleanup, unless they're long-term guests, it feels rude on my part to allow them to. I think that comes from my upbringing, where guests weren't expected to do any work in our home, but to sit back and allow themselves to be taken care of.  

Calixti

Collowrath

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:43 pm
Calixti
As far as helping with cleanup, unless they're long-term guests, it feels rude on my part to allow them to. I think that comes from my upbringing, where guests weren't expected to do any work in our home, but to sit back and allow themselves to be taken care of.

For me, it depends on the situation and my mood. In general, I would prefer to do it myself. As I said before, there are purity issues in place. An impurity can be transferred via physical contact, and I wouldn't want to wash my dishes only for them to be exposed to that right off the bat, let alone take it to the rest of my cupboard!

There's a lazy part of me that says "ugh, just take the help." But now that I think about it: the even lazier part of me says "nonono, you're just going to have to get them all down again and clean them all when they leave."  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:56 am
AngryRobotsInc.
Now, my son is soon to be on a special diet which requires very specific lack of certain things commonly found in most all foods, which I will be sharing with him.

Oh I can most definitely sympathize in that situation. My immune condition comes with allergies to commonly used foods/chemicals. Makes it nigh impossible to go out to eat, esp with one of those allergies being the water lol. (I have my weak moments, but yes I can finally laugh about it after a year) Hemp is a tad expensive but if he's like me and wont be able to have gluten, it's a good substitute for flour, protein, source of all three efa's, etc. Definitely look into it smile

Quote:
What traditions does your religion mandate when it comes to hospitality?

Is it different between strangers, friends and enemies?

Where does your personal expectations begin and end in relation to your spiritual traditions?

When you are extended hospitality, what does your tradition mandate for you and is it different than when you extend it to others?

I've always given a measure of respect to others until they do something for me to revoke that respect. I will directly treat others the same as they treat me, stranger or not. Unless I have use for them then I'll tolerate it a little more. If someone is in my home I'll extend as much hospitality as I can, down to any maintenance personnel. I was always raised that when you go somewhere for dinner, the cook should rest and the guests should do clean up. During family gatherings most of the family members pitched in to help clean up. I didn't used to feel too easy with people helping with clean up, but now that I can't touch the water I'd appreciate any help in the kitchen hehe.  

Kashaku-Tatsu

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:57 am
Fiddlers Green
Recursive Paradox
Glad I could help.

Were you just curious about how Hospitality works in Etherism?

Amongst living traditions, I am just as interested in how the practitioner applies something, as what it is.
I like studying the human face, as well as the ideals behind them. 3nodding

That's probably a good way to figure out how close a given philosophy is to practical application. XD  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:01 am
One of the things that makes it so unbelievably hard to formulate ethics rules for Etherism is the fact that the religion is applied across the entirety of a being's growth, beyond the paradigms of human existence. Perhaps even beyond the paradigms of existence that many humans attribute to gods.

So a lot of questions like what one does about food aren't easily answered directly in Etherism, because those questions may very well become completely irrelevant later on.

So I keep on trying to find functional ethical constructs that can be applied in a general sense and used to glean smaller answers for a given paradigm, like a biological mammalian paradigm where food is a necessity.  

Recursive Paradox

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:41 pm
TeaDidikai
SuperOtaku
To be honest, I've never really had enough situations to figure out where my hospitality lies. Guests are pretty rare, but sooner or later I'll be moving out of my parents house...
How about your hospitality in relation to those hosting you? Aka, your parents?

Okay, this is a good point, how do familial obligations interact with hospitality?  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:37 pm
Collowrath
TeaDidikai
~removes her hand from the ventriloquial figure and places him back in his trunk~

sweatdrop
I just think it's funny how much we have in common at times. No offense was intended.  

TeaDidikai

Collowrath

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:10 pm
TeaDidikai
Collowrath
TeaDidikai
~removes her hand from the ventriloquial figure and places him back in his trunk~

sweatdrop
I just think it's funny how much we have in common at times. No offense was intended.

There was none taken. smile  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:24 pm
Collowrath
TeaDidikai
Collowrath
TeaDidikai

sweatdrop

There was none taken. smile
Good good.  

TeaDidikai

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out