Welcome to Gaia! ::

Underground Webcomic Organization (U.W.O.)

Back to Guilds

Tired of the same old Manga stories and want to write your own ORIGINAL MANGA/COMICS, then this is the place for you! 

Tags: Arts, manga, comic, drawing, writing 

Reply The Creator's Critique Area (feedback)
In-Depth Critique, Anyone?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Goddess of Dawn

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 4:19 am
Hi! I'm Micaiah, and I'm new to this guild. I was just wondering if anyone wishes to critique my art. I'm broke and I'm not a professional so I don't use screen tone, real ink, etc. I make my art with just plain ol' pencil, printer paper, and colored pencils when I want them. Here's a few examples of my art; I think they're the best work I've done so far:
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image
What do you think? Any tips? Please don't flame, even if you do think it's terrible sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:23 am
Welcome Micaiah!! Sorry I haven't responded right away, I've been busy with school/work and RL... gonk

Anyways, on to the critique:
People underestimate the power of just paper and pencil, there is nothing wrong with it. I still use paper and pencil as well and many professionsal as well!

Your art is cute and you do well coloring it. However, I'm trying to decide if these are chibis or your regular style. If they are chibis then you're doing a decent job. One thing I would like to see is your chibis more animated, in different positions to make the chibi more interesting.

If this is your art in regular style then I recommend to look up on anatomy books and to practice from those. I am still learning how to draw the correct body positions myself, so I am by far not a professional either. However, it helps tremendously when actually drawing from your mind instead of what you're seeing.  

aisazia
Captain

izuna_13_13

Shirtless Codger

20,700 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:40 pm
they is cute
it took mee years to even look that good  
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:31 pm
Well even if it is Chibi the anatomy is off. For examble the body parts (such as the arms) are curve with no aparent joints. Id reccomend you show the joints in your characters.

The the main thing I would say you need to work on. Just the anatomy ( mostly just you joints/limbs) If it's chibi then do not worry about the head anatomy in comparision to the actual body.

Keep up the good work. Practice makes perfection (as long as you practicing the right way biggrin )

Ricey

(I probally should start post my sketches as well question )  

RiceAndPotatoes

The Goddess of Dawn

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:24 pm
Thank you guys for your critique! biggrin And those, by the way, are regular art samples. I'm not trying to make them chibi-style. I know the body proportions are way off, but if I make the characters taller or longer it just looks wrong. My trouble areas are hair, shoulders, waist, chest, legs, arms, fingers, eyes, head shape/size, and just about everything else you can think of. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 9:41 pm
Mistress Micaiah
Thank you guys for your critique! biggrin And those, by the way, are regular art samples. I'm not trying to make them chibi-style. I know the body proportions are way off, but if I make the characters taller or longer it just looks wrong. My trouble areas are hair, shoulders, waist, chest, legs, arms, fingers, eyes, head shape/size, and just about everything else you can think of. sweatdrop

Well like I said just keep practicing. Also sometimes use other pictures as reference. For example Im an avid manga reader ( I like almost any seires ). And just simply by reading I am exposing myself to new styles of art and learning new styles and it's reflected in my art.  

RiceAndPotatoes

The Goddess of Dawn

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:28 pm
RiceAndPotatoes
Mistress Micaiah

Well like I said just keep practicing. Also sometimes use other pictures as reference. For example Im an avid manga reader ( I like almost any seires ). And just simply by reading I am exposing myself to new styles of art and learning new styles and it's reflected in my art.

Thank you! whee I love reading shoujo (when it's not too sappy or gooey), and I'm trying to copy the artists' eyes and hair. When I get better, I'll try inventing some of my own. whee  
The Creator's Critique Area (feedback)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games