Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
Diet Bracelets?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

M U L E

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:15 am
Anyone heard of bracelets where you can count your calories, keep track of your exercise, even what you've eaten?

I don't know what's with my sudden interest but I want to make a simplistic one where I can keep watch on how many calories I've eaten.

I think it'll help me keep watch on what I'm doing. I find that sometimes I lose count (often a result of eating too much :S) and that's when I give up for the day.

I want a simple type of bracelet that works and doesn't look out of place because that'd look suspicious. Simple because I don't have tools or anything.  
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:31 am
I'm not a huge fan of counting calories.  

Gabrielle_AnimalLuver

Stars in my Pocket
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:45 am
Bracelets for food remind me way too much of those for Eating Disorders.
I'm not sure how you could go around counting calories on bracelets, maybe if you got like different ones in colors representing the food pyramid and every time you ate a serving you took one off?

That actually sounds cool, but I don't know how you could manage it without questions haha.

If you did though, focus on portions not calories. I'm with Crazy Cat on that one.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:17 pm
Hmm.. Alright.

I think it WOULD be hard for me to wear any bracelet without anyone noticing. I never wear bracelets sweatdrop  

M U L E

Pink Rain Today

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:17 am
User Image

Huh.

So I wear rave candy [pony bead bracelets] every day. Now I'm going to try to think of an ingenious way to remind myself to exercise and not over-eat with 'em.

Thanks!

"If your stomach feels weak my work here is DONE."

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:57 pm
it could work with counting calories, if you had a bead per 100 calories or something, it wouldnt be particularly accurate but it might help keep you on track. Im a fan of counting calories mrgreen  

Iconised Ghost

Divash
Vice Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:59 am
Weight Watchers has a Point system that is so much easier to count than calories. You get anywhere from 17 to 45 Points to spend on food each day, depending on your age, current weight, gender, and average daily activity level. WW teaches you how to determine how many points your food contains. Weight Watchers also makes Point-counting bracelets, or you can buy or make your own. Here's one source, but there are many others; just Google for Weight Watchers Bracelet. You could also simply buy some charms and some beads and make your own bracelet, so that you can add and remove beads as you lose weight and need to keep track of different numbers of daily Points.

1. Each bracelet has 30 beads. Every fifth one is a different color from those around them, which makes them easier to count and not lose your place. Then there are two more beads of a coordinating third color, right next to one another; that's your start/end point. For instance, let's say most of the beads are white, every fifth bead is blue, and the two odd-colored beads are silver.

2. Every bracelet also has a movable dangling charm. It's small. The website I linked above lets you choose your charm, and they're really cute. The day starts with the charm between those two silver beads.

3. Whenever you eat something, use your Weight Watchers tools to figure out how many Points that food contains. Let's say your breakfast has 7 Points. You move the charm from between the two silver beads, count four white beads, then the fifth bead which is blue, then two more white beads, for a total of seven beads.

That's it. It's discreet, and you can get bracelets that match your clothing so that it's not out of place at all.  
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:42 am
Divash
Weight Watchers has a Point system that is so much easier to count than calories. You get anywhere from 17 to 45 Points to spend on food each day, depending on your age, current weight, gender, and average daily activity level. WW teaches you how to determine how many points your food contains. Weight Watchers also makes Point-counting bracelets, or you can buy or make your own. Here's one source, but there are many others; just Google for Weight Watchers Bracelet. You could also simply buy some charms and some beads and make your own bracelet, so that you can add and remove beads as you lose weight and need to keep track of different numbers of daily Points.

1. Each bracelet has 30 beads. Every fifth one is a different color from those around them, which makes them easier to count and not lose your place. Then there are two more beads of a coordinating third color, right next to one another; that's your start/end point. For instance, let's say most of the beads are white, every fifth bead is blue, and the two odd-colored beads are silver.

2. Every bracelet also has a movable dangling charm. It's small. The website I linked above lets you choose your charm, and they're really cute. The day starts with the charm between those two silver beads.

3. Whenever you eat something, use your Weight Watchers tools to figure out how many Points that food contains. Let's say your breakfast has 7 Points. You move the charm from between the two silver beads, count four white beads, then the fifth bead which is blue, then two more white beads, for a total of seven beads.

That's it. It's discreet, and you can get bracelets that match your clothing so that it's not out of place at all.

Those look really cool. surprised Do you think it would work with like, using 1 bead to stand for 100 calories? And maybe using the other charm to use beads to stand for .5 L of water...  

__penguin__
Captain

Gossy

Shirtless Tycoon

15,350 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Team Josie 25
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:39 pm
I would just go to the store and get a regular beaded bracelet with regularly alternating colors or something like that, or to make one to fit whatever you want. They have kits to make them. I don't think it's worth it to buy them online, if they are just bead bracelets. They do this for pregnancies too... to remind you of appointments and stuff. I think they're kind of trying to sell them overpriced and call them "weightloss" bracelets or "pregnancy" bracelets. I mean, $20? I'd pay about $5  
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 6:27 am
__penguin__
Divash

Those look really cool. surprised Do you think it would work with like, using 1 bead to stand for 100 calories? And maybe using the other charm to use beads to stand for .5 L of water...

Sure, why not? Maybe another color yet for fat grams, and another for fiber grams, since those are also helpful to track. After all, eating 1500 calories worth of vegetables, fruits, lean meats, and whole grains will help you lose weight, but eating 1500 calories worth of candy bars won't.  

Divash
Vice Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Tandahda
Crew

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 8:26 pm
I just made my own. It's got markers for about 1600 calories, and I've got a charm for calories in chunks of 100, exercise in chunks of 15 min (up to 2 hrs) and vegetable servings (up to 10).

What's more, is to keep it looking nice, I want to keep the beads sort of together, so I'm right now feeling very compelled to do 15 more minutes of exercise. ._.

User Image  
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:07 pm
Speaking of bracelets,
I have a length of string (going to something cuter once i actually start wearing it with short sleeves, get ribbon or something)
cut to the size of my goal waist in inches.
I can take it off an measure,
or it just reminds me to watch what I eat.  

Groovy Spleen
Crew

Toxic Watermelon

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 6:37 pm
Stars in my Pocket
Bracelets for food remind me way too much of those for Eating Disorders.
I'm not sure how you could go around counting calories on bracelets, maybe if you got like different ones in colors representing the food pyramid and every time you ate a serving you took one off?

That actually sounds cool, but I don't know how you could manage it without questions haha.

If you did though, focus on portions not calories. I'm with Crazy Cat on that one.

To avoid the questions just transfer the braclet to the other arm.
That's what I did when I bought jelly bracelets to track my water intake.
:]

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games