Submit

Fluffy Violence

6,300 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Tycoon 200
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:31 pm
Chapter one.
Jade pushed the big blue door open. It was heavier than regular doors, and also much bigger. It led into a small courtyard in the center of the boarding school she attended. It was just around Christmas time so when she walked outside the cool air swirled around her body. It always got cold in Maine around this time. The wind was blowing strong and she smelled that snow was coming soon. She could do that, smell the air and know the weather. Her parents had always referred to her as ‘The Weather Channel.’ She never minded, although it got annoying when her friends asked her to tell them the upcoming weather when they all made plans. She walked over to a little bench and sat down. A small snowflake landed perfectly in the palm of her hand. She smiled silently to herself and got back up. It was cold and she wanted to go back inside. But on the other hand she loved the snow. It was one of the reasons she had chosen this school to go to, because it always snowed here. She glanced around the courtyard once more before heading back to the big blue doors. She opened them slowly so they wouldn’t make noise. Her administrator’s head would make a full 360 degree turn if she knew Jade was out of her room again. You weren’t supposed to be out past nine and right now, Jade glanced at her cell phone for the time, it was 2 in the morning. To her surprise the door made no sound and she got back to her room without being caught again.
She took her flannel plaid pajama pants out of the top dresser draw. They were her favorite. She unzipped her sweater and crawled in the bed. She had a huge dorm room. It was meant for two but her roommate dropped out of school to pursue acting. Jade wondered as she stared at the ceiling if Annabel, her roommate, had actually made it in Hollywood yet. Her mind jumbled a little as her eyes began to close. She glanced at the clock before she allowed sleep to take over. It was a little after two fifteen. She had class in four hours. “Damn highschool, starting so early in the morning.” She sighed as sleep took over and her eyes closed.
Her alarm went off at five. She turned over in bed and almost fell off. “You have a queen bed you retard. Why not sleep in the middle instead of on one side?” Jade smiled to herself under the covers.
“Hey Blaire.” Jade pushed the covers off. “How’d you get in anyway?” She asked as she watched Blaire go through Jade’s closet for a shirt to borrow.
“I molded your key about a week ago so when I want shirts I can come in and not have to wake you. But I see,” She gestured toward the alarm clock that was still playing the radio. “I could have just knocked.”
“You molded my key?” Jade didn’t find this surprising at all. She always knew the Blaire had strange ways of doing things.
“Mhm. I know a guy.”
“Of course you do…” Jade swung her legs over the side of the bed and stood up. She stretched out her body and walked groggily to the closet. It was a walk in, unlike most other rooms. She pretty much got special treatment for being orphaned by her parents at the age of four. She was the pity student so to say. Although in class she was treated the same by her teachers, outside of class she could get away with things most students couldn’t. On the weekends people loved to sleep in her room. Jade always had little parties with her friends over the weekend. She found that some of her friends wouldn’t go home for the weekends if they stayed over with her. Although most of her friend’s parents lived really far away. “What are you taking?” Jade asked, interrupting her own thoughts, as she got into the closet.
“This shirt. Is that okay?” Blaire held up a dark green low cut shirt. It wasn’t much. Just a simple tank top.
“Hun, it’s winter. You do realize that right?” Jade questioned and Blaire took her pajama top off the replaced it with the tank top.
“Yeah, so? I’ll wear a sweater over it.”
“Oh okay. It’s fine, just wash it and return it sometime over the weekend kay? I’m gunna pack away all my summer clothes and replace them with the winter stuff finally.”
“Haha nerd. But it’s cool. I’ll wash it tonight if I have the chance.” Blaire smiled and then began picking out another shirt.
“What are you doing?” Jade asked confused.
“There’s a new student today and you wanna look good. I’m picking your outfit. No buts.”
“No complaints here. Pick away.” Jade smiled and walked out of the closet. “I’m gunna take a shower and do my hair.” She said heading toward her private bathroom. It was nice to have your own private shower. She didn’t like the one down the hall, it grossed her out. Plus everyone have to shower around the same time. Who, other than horny boys and maybe lesbians, wants to be in a room full of supermodel thin naked girls? Certainly not Jade. Who was far from supermodel thin. She called herself fat, but her friends said she was curvy. The doctors had determined her as Italian and everyone says they’re jealous of her curves. She wished they would just go away.
As jade washed her hair she found the black dye washing out. “Damn it.” She whispered. Black hair dye dripped from her head as she walked out of the bathroom. Blaire had already left, and she had left a perfectly picked out outfit on Jade’s bed. Jade dug into her dresser to find her ‘hair dye’ towel. It once was a white towel, now covered in hair colors, from bleach blonde to black. She rubbed the towel on her head and then looked in the mirror. All the black was gone now and she was back to the regular dirty blonde hair she had. She sighed again. “So much for my perfect black hair. Damn hair dye labels.” She picked up the hair dye that sat on her nightstand and dropped it into the trash bin. She took her clothes off her bed and began getting ready for school.
She was already two minutes late as she ran down the hallways to class. Her teacher was going to kill her when she got into class. She sighed and straightened out her shirt and silky hair. Thank god for hair products in the morning. Her hair was naturally wavy, but not the pretty wavy, like a strange wavy that she hated. She took a deep breath before diving into what was soon going to be another lecture from another teacher. Except when she opened the door, there was no lecture, everyone seemed so wrapped up in his or her own business. The teacher wasn’t even there! All the girls in the class were on one side of the room giggling and falling all over themselves. And all the guys, she noticed, stood on the other side with envious eyes. She found Blaire on the ‘male side’ of the room and walked over to her.
“What the hell is going on?” Jade demanded.
“New student.” Blaire said in monotone. Jade followed her gaze over to where a boy their age sat with all the girls around him. Jade scoffed.
“It’s just like the girls in our school to fall all over themselves about a seemingly good looking guy.” Jade rolled her eyes are Blaire.
“I know!” Blaire sighed in boredom and looked at the clock. “If Mrs. Canero doesn’t show up in two minutes we get to leave.” Blaire said excitedly.
“Mhm. Where should we go to breakfast?” Jade asked watching the clock.
“There’s a new café down the street from here. Think we’ll be able to get out before the dorm adviser finds us?” Blaire also watched the clock eagerly. One minute to go before it was breakfast time.
“Oh yeah, we’ve done it before.”
“Should I go ask Sammie?” Blaire pointed toward a short girl with sleek black hair. Aka the third musketeer. The three girls have been friends forever. Jade watched as Sammie swooned over this guy and suddenly found her self disgusted by it. She brushed the feeling away and nodded. Blaire walked over and whispered in Sammie’s ear. The three girls left the room without anyone noticing.
“Now let’s get out.” Jade said. They stood by the back gates of the school. Sammie bent over herself to catch her breath. It wasn’t easy running across such a large field of nothingness at top speed so no one noticed you were leaving. It was a Monday and you were only allowed to leave campus on Friday and Saturday nights. Plus it was during class time, so if these girls we’re caught they would be thought of as cutting and leaving school property without permission. Jade worked on the lock as quick as she could. They could hear people talking from inside the building. Surely people had noticed them. Jade finally unlocked the big pad lock on the gate and the three girls slipped into the forest that covered the back of the school.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:29 pm
Nice beginning, I suppose. Your writing is very... teenager. I think that you should go back over it, correct some spelling errors and grammatical errors. I also think you should have something HAPPEN to capture your readers from the moment they begin to read, because, while The Weather Channel is interesting, it isn't instantly grabbing either.
My advice is to think about where the story is going, take the climax, and hint toward it in a prologue. It can be everyday AND interesting, you just have to find a way to make it work. Good luck. --ATW  

DreamingRoses1224

Octane Diesel

Dangerous Prophet

6,250 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:53 am
There's an old saying "Show, don't tell." They whole passage is very "She did that. He did this." Which can get very boring, very quickly. Things like "She took her flannel plaid pajama pants out of the top dresser draw. They were her favorite" Could be changed to: "She took out her favorite pajama pants." and : "She unzipped her sweater and crawled in the bed." to "Unzipping her sweater, she crawled into bed."

Although Mystery is sometimes good, an introduction to the characters is good, so you're not using they/she/he all the time.

So, what you want to do is vary sentences and noun use, keep the reader entertained, the story feeds like a list of actions.  
Novels/Novellas

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games