Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Minty's Pad

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

A--Minty_Fresh--Mint

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:03 pm

Err...Hello! I haven't drawn too much digitally yet, but I would greatly appreciate comments and critiques. I'm still practicing many things and do not have a 'style'. No, I am not an anime artist, though somewhere along the lines I was influenced somewhere by it (probably my friend's doing). I have taken out many books from the library about drawing basics and I'm still learning. I find it interesting and in a way, makes you see the world in different ways.

I've been drawing since I was very young. I do not plan to go to any type of art school or work in a career in which I sell my art. Somehow that just seems...wrong for me. It's a way of life.
Anyways, I get my inspiration from whatever catches my eye. I love drawing candles (and all those fancy candle holders) not sure why. Probably the environments that you find them in fascinate me. Lanterns too. Pretty much anything that emits light. haha.
Drawing people is interesting but it's not my forté.
I don't really like giving things clean lines either though I have been trying.
Anyways, after I have bored you to tears,
here is my deviantArt account.
There isn't much to look at yet.
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:06 pm

Would anyone mind criticizing this picture? I think in a few areas, I messed up the light source and there are many areas that just make me itch knowing I can improve it. I always feel that way however; that everything can be improved. Please don't restrain the comments so that you don't offend me or whatever...Go all out.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

A--Minty_Fresh--Mint

CariRae

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:18 am

The only thing that really stands out to me as wrong is how boxlike everything is. Grass curves it doesn't just randomly go a different direction. Same with the cat's face the different pieces flow into each other and don't just start abruptly. Blending could also help you make things look more realistic.

It has a certain style to it, though. Other than the things aforementioned it is really good.
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:17 am

hey Minty wink

cute cat! - remember that with lighting that everything casts shadows on each other - so if your light is coming from an upper direction, then the parts of the cat that are in the grass would be darker ~

If you're ever stuck on how to draw something, a quick google search of "cat" "butterfly" "grass would do the trick :3~

As far as composition goes - the positioning of the cat is slightly akward - it's either too close or too far from the edge of the page D:~

I like the interesting colors you used for the sky though!

Welcome to the guild and hope to see more from you!

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

A--Minty_Fresh--Mint

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:29 am

Thank you for the help! ^__^
Now that you point it out, yeah, everything is quite boxy and there needs to be more shadows.
I'll go mess around with the picture some more.
PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:56 am

Here's another picture...
Had to scan it in a plastic bag so the pastel wouldn't get everywhere >.<;
So you can sorta see some of the folds in the bag D=
Not the greatest...Some places of the picture look a little 'stiff' to me.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

A--Minty_Fresh--Mint

A--Minty_Fresh--Mint

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:14 pm

I know I haven't been too active here...
I've been drawing though, and here's a new one:

Lady Justice

I have a feeling that the hands are too small but I want to know what other people think.
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:57 pm

Yeah your right, but the left hand (her right) is prefectly fine since is further away. Now on the other hand (no pun intended if there is one...), the one close closes to us is it a bit small. Other wise great art, I love your style~♪

Luna Kitsune Kasumi

4,450 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • First step to fame 200
  • Peoplewatcher 100

A--Minty_Fresh--Mint

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:14 pm

Thank you!
Yes, I'll go fix that hand.
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff