Elite of the Imperial Guard

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:02 am
So yeah, new codex is coming soon and for once I got bitten (and kicked and beaten and verbally abused into a deep depression) with the painting bug. It's amazing what a simple "kiss and hug" reward system can do for the army.

Here are some elites for the army I'm working on. They are mostly done with some minor cleaning up still to go, which I will get to once my hands stop shaking.

User Image
*** click for bigger image ***

User Image
This is Barry the BONE'ead, I got him for my birthday as a replacement for my broken laptop. It was fun to paint this guy, as it gave me a large canvas to try some new things on, like how to properly paint, wash and detail flesh, trousers and armour. I also took a shot at trying to nick and scratch the armour here and there, so far I like it, especially if done in moderate consideration.

And nope, I can't paint eyes, my hands twitch too much for such fine details, even something as big as an Ogryn eye.

User Image
I'm not a big fan of commissars, though their models do always look ace. So instead this model either counts as the overseer of the Psyker Battle Squad I'm building or as the lieutenant of my second platoon. I might go with the latter as I want my officers to look regal and somewhat out of place from the rank and mass.

User Image
A rather sickly looking psyker. The horrible facial colours are an experiment of mine to see if I could get the faces of aspiring psykers to look different from normal people, because after all psykers are under a lot of stress and headaches.

User Image
RICO

User Image
LOGAN

User Image
WHITE

Kasrkin, don't mind the crudeness too much, I've been using these as testing models for my army and I've decided to use that overall scheme for my entire army, minus the camo of course, only gits in commando armour would wear such odd camo.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:56 am
Barry looks great, though this up close the lack of an eye does jump out a bit. I'd suggest tidying up the model here and there but seeing as you say you've got shaking hands I'd say leave it, I bet from a distance the model looks just fine, if not better. wink

The overseer looks nice, though it might've been better if you gave him green lining and cuffs instead of red to fit in with the theme of him looking after psykers. Green is something of a colour usually associated with them. His armour could use a light wash to bring out the details a bit better and the scar on his cheek is a bit, crappy. sweatdrop

The psyker looks fine and dandy enough, I guess the pale and grossly discoloured features do befit someone who taps into the warp under stressful conditions. Again some cleaning up here and there would be great but at a distance nobody will notice most likely.

Sorry, but your Kasrkin are best viewed from a distance!!! While I'm sure they look lovely these close-up shots don't really do them a whole lot of good. Too many faults and ugly bits come to the fore. Their Hellguns do look fine and dandy though, maybe a bit too weathered but I like the overall look.

Just some friendly feedback, no offence meant!

Btw, how can an Ogryn be a replacement for your laptop? confused  

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:32 pm
Barry is hot, don't you dare diss him! xp  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:22 pm
hey brookman
what colors did you use for painting the clothing under the armor?
i picked up that box of metal models, painted one so far, looks good, but the cloth is a little off.
i used that Karthan Brown or whatever foundation paint, drybrushed bleached bone, then highlighted with skull white  

RevlinHeartsblood

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:26 am
RevlinHeartsblood
hey brookman
i picked up that box of metal models, painted one so far, looks good, but the cloth is a little off.
i used that Karthan Brown or whatever foundation paint, drybrushed bleached bone, then highlighted with skull white
Uniforms are first painted Dheneb Stone as a base, then desert yellow all over followed by a drybrush of bleached bone.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:27 pm
Lady Blodwynn
Barry looks great, though this up close the lack of an eye does jump out a bit. I'd suggest tidying up the model here and there but seeing as you say you've got shaking hands I'd say leave it, I bet from a distance the model looks just fine, if not better. wink

The overseer looks nice, though it might've been better if you gave him green lining and cuffs instead of red to fit in with the theme of him looking after psykers. Green is something of a colour usually associated with them. His armour could use a light wash to bring out the details a bit better and the scar on his cheek is a bit, crappy. sweatdrop

The psyker looks fine and dandy enough, I guess the pale and grossly discoloured features do befit someone who taps into the warp under stressful conditions. Again some cleaning up here and there would be great but at a distance nobody will notice most likely.

Sorry, but your Kasrkin are best viewed from a distance!!! While I'm sure they look lovely these close-up shots don't really do them a whole lot of good. Too many faults and ugly bits come to the fore. Their Hellguns do look fine and dandy though, maybe a bit too weathered but I like the overall look.

Just some friendly feedback, no offence meant!

Btw, how can an Ogryn be a replacement for your laptop? confused
Your harsh feedback made me cry, a lot. crying

Thanks for being honest and useful, I wish more people would do that instead of ragging on moldlines. I agree that they are best viewed from a distance, the Kasrkin in particular.

In regards to the Ogryn, let's just say a clumsy bint dropped and broke my laptop, feeling really bad over it, so she got me Barry to make up for the loss.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

RevlinHeartsblood

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:27 pm
Lt. Brookman
RevlinHeartsblood
hey brookman
Uniforms are first painted Dheneb Stone as a base, then desert yellow all over followed by a drybrush of bleached bone.

ahh, cool. ive got that box which has those same models in them. im painting them basically the same as they are on the box. if youd like i could sell them to you when im done painting.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:32 pm
RevlinHeartsblood
Lt. Brookman
RevlinHeartsblood
hey brookman

ahh, cool. ive got that box which has those same models in them. im painting them basically the same as they are on the box. if youd like i could sell them to you when im done painting.
What? NO! Why would I want to do that?  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

RevlinHeartsblood

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:51 pm
Lt. Brookman
RevlinHeartsblood
Lt. Brookman
RevlinHeartsblood
hey brookman

What? NO! Why would I want to do that?

uhm, dunno?  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:36 am
I've been warned about things like these being offered up. mad  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

RevlinHeartsblood

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:01 pm
oh. im not aware of any frauds. i just got that box cuz i wanted to try painting some guardsmen.
i think im going to start collecting more though, i like painting them.
orr, ill try to sell em, make 10 bucks or something  
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff