Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Kalevel's Sketchbook

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The One and Only Kal

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:35 pm
intro
Hmm.. well, not sure what to say. I could repeat what's in my mentor thread, but I'd rather not. I'm probably going to post WIPs here. I'm happy to receive critique, but most errors (especially in regards to anatomy) are glaringly obvious to me. What is usually not obvious to me are composition-related or color errors, so if you can help me in that regard, thanks in advance! Heh.

I'm a very beginning painter (and digital painter). I can't paint a proper background to save my life at the moment.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:36 pm
the cloud lagoon
User Image

Still need to work on the shark and the gentleman's arm. My animal anatomy isn't too sharp. This is for a painting project. I'll be tweaking it here and there until Wednesday or Friday.  

The One and Only Kal

tirbutt
Crew

Sparkling Sentai

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:45 am

Hey Kalevel! Glad to see you posting art here already biggrin !

I'm really enjoying the picture - there's a lot going on and I can't wait to see how you'll be rendering it during the paining process. (is it going to be digital? traditional?)

Are the shark(s) floating in air? Otherwise the positioning is weird - the shark anatomy IS off, but you can just look up some shark photos on google or something and get that fixed relatively easily.

Composition:
Positioning of the main characters seem a bit akward (nothing serious)... but they're not quite in the center, yet not off the side enough to balance the image either... personally I'd extend or lessen the margins depending on what size you want the final piece to be...

General Stuff:
I don't really know what this piece is about, so I'll just say some random stuff here...

Remember that you can do a LOT with color and lighting to bring out a composition and especially focus with a picture... (whatever you want it to be)... also keep in mind the direction of movement/attention you want through your piece, or if it's supposed to be drawn to a certain portion...

Can't wait to see what you'll do with this when you go to color smile

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:14 pm
@ T i r a e l - Thanks! I added about an inch on the bottom and the left to fix the composition errors (I had some leeway with the paper). I ended up painting the whole thing the other day, but I haven't used watercolors in years. (Enough said - despite two+ hours of planning it didn't turn out.)

It's called 'The Tryst and the Cloud Lagoon,' so yes, the sharks are all floating/flying about. xD

Tomorrow I'll try to get a picture of it in daylight. It's too big to fit into my scanner, and cropping wouldn't make it look any prettier.

In the meantime, I've got a Gaia commission I'm working on. Aside from the shoulders (which I know need work), some feedback would be nice. If anybody knows how to make him look like an effeminate guy rather than a masculine chick, I'd appreciate it.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

The One and Only Kal

CariRae

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:28 pm
Males have characteristic features, like wider jaws, bushier eyebrows, broader shoulders, and less pronounced eyelashes so if you do some of those he should look more masculine than he does now. He looks like a guy to me now though.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:29 pm
Thank you. :)  

The One and Only Kal

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas