Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Energy work: internalization vs. externalization Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you do energy work?
  Yes
  No, but the topic interests me
  No and I don't plan to
  What is this "enurgee wurk" you speak of?
  Shiny digital metals. Yuuuum.
View Results

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:08 am
MoonJeli
I was great friends with one of the people who has been a member of Omnimancer Core for more than 6 years. At the time they would not allow multiples as students for safety reasons, so they wouldn't let me in. Heh. I don't know if their policy has changed since then.

Safety reasons? I can think of a few off hand but they seem like they would be things that you can account for by careful planning. o_O

Nothing that would necessitate keeping multiples out completely.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:11 am
Maze

I thought that was common sense? I suppose that for some traditions, with particular ways of working, this wouldn't apply, but it always struck me as logical. XD

I can't do anything worth s**t if I feel like crap either.

Well some traditions could, presumably, manipulate energy flows entirely externally. Which means that the only impact your inner balance would have is the same impact it would have on say, driving a car.

It would make you a little less skilled because you don't feel good.

Quote:
Pokerism. XD;

My path doesn't really have a name. I follow the river, as it were. If I need/want something, I poke the universe and sigh/smile and shake my head when the universe gives me exactly what I asked for.

.. but not quite what I meant. XD;

Like my current job. *snerks*

Obviously, I'm still learning, hehe.

I'm trying to find a place where they can teach me Tai Chi so I can learn how to better control my energy, as I appear naturally capable of making minor aches go away every so often.

From the lack of success I'm having so far, though, it looks like I'll have to teach myself that, too.

No biggie there, as I lack discipline like whoah, and I can use the practice anyway, but, you know, it'd be easier with someone showing me. sweatdrop

Hehe, I forgot about our earlier convo. Keep on exploring.

If you're really interested, I can give you some tips and exercises to use for both psychodrama and energy channeling purposes within my own path and you can see if they work for you.  

Recursive Paradox

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:15 am
Leaf Worship
Quote:
That really doesn't sound familiar in terms of Reiki though. Is it possible that your teachers have meshed multiple methods of energy channeling into one? It's not unheard of and it certainly isn't invalid (although calling it Reiki if they were aware of that meshing would be a bit dishonest in such a case).

That is absolutely possible. Her personal nature is sort of like that. I think she pulls from a lot of different sources and just teaches what she feels is proper to teach as well as what is necessary and required to learn. I think maybe she includes outside associations because I've known her personally for quite a while and she wants to be a good mentor. :]

Okies.

If this is the case (and it's still a valid method of healing even if it is) she probably needs to not call it Reiki, simply because introducing enough outside elements can fundamentally change the function of a given practice.

And you really want to avoid misleading people who might think they're learning standard Reiki. I'm sure if she did make that mistake that it was just a honest accident. *nodnod* And if this is the case, then you two get to make up a new name for your practice! Which I always find really fun. ^.^

I'm still coming up with names for concepts in Etherism. It's very interesting.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:41 am
Recursive Paradox
MoonJeli
I was great friends with one of the people who has been a member of Omnimancer Core for more than 6 years. At the time they would not allow multiples as students for safety reasons, so they wouldn't let me in. Heh. I don't know if their policy has changed since then.

Safety reasons? I can think of a few off hand but they seem like they would be things that you can account for by careful planning. o_O

Nothing that would necessitate keeping multiples out completely.

I didn't agree, but that was their decision. Rather disappointing, but I've moved on. XD  

MoonJeli

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:58 pm
Recursive Paradox
Sophist
Recursive Paradox
As a note: I didn't have time to do the necessary research to add in a third example (I probably would have discussed Reiki honestly).

If you folks have any other practices of energy work you want to mention that take novel approaches or the approaches mentioned here, please do. Just make sure to cite the sources if possible, please.

I would love if you could talk about Reiki. This post was very interesting. I wasn't familiar with other philosophies concerning energy work as I've only had a Reiki 1 attunement and that's about the extent of my energy work experience, but it is interesting to hear about others.

Well part of the problem is that I don't know nearly enough Reiki. Which is why I cited the research issue. I haven't been attuned and I am certainly not a Reiki practitioner.

I was more hoping that other knowledgeable folk would come in and bring some stuff up, so it wasn't just my path and Omnimancy.

Quote:
Do you mind my asking what you use your energy work for?

Protection, metaphysical defense, sometimes metaphysical attack ("curses/hexes" referred to as attack channeling by me), mild boosts to luck and as accentuation to my body and mind when I need a little extra help for healing or getting tasks done. I've only recently starting healing with it. I also restored part of the function of Gho's car's window's electronics, allowing the window to go up.

So apparently I have an affinity with machines. o_O Either that or there's been a hell of a lot of coincidences lately.

I wish I could contribute but to be honest I haven't used it a lot, and I'm not nearly as knowledgeable about it as I wish I were. Perhaps in time.

I wonder if you'd clarify for me: how would you use it for protection? My understanding is to prevent dangerous things from occur to your person or your loved ones. But do you go at it thinking that these can always be avoided if you are consciously trying to prevent them with energy work? And if you are consciously trying to prevent them and it occurs anyway, is that because you weren't strong enough, or for some other reason?

Also, how does it boost luck?  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:06 pm
So I finally finished reading all the avalible test on the Omnimancy site. I think that they have some good ideas, but some of it also makes me nervous. Mainly their talk about boosters that will let someone starting out do bigger things. It just kinda gives me this immage of giving a six year old a car and letting them go for a drive. I also don't like that they do all of the channeling externally. I'm still working through how I do my personal energy work, but that just doesn't sound right to me. I need to spend some more time working through my process though before I point out specifics that I don't agree with, since I still haven't worked mine out all the way.  

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:24 pm
Sophist

I wish I could contribute but to be honest I haven't used it a lot, and I'm not nearly as knowledgeable about it as I wish I were. Perhaps in time.

There are other Reiki practitioners in the guild. If they catch a glimpse of the thread and want to drop in we can expand into Reiki as an example too.

Quote:
I wonder if you'd clarify for me: how would you use it for protection? My understanding is to prevent dangerous things from occur to your person or your loved ones. But do you go at it thinking that these can always be avoided if you are consciously trying to prevent them with energy work? And if you are consciously trying to prevent them and it occurs anyway, is that because you weren't strong enough, or for some other reason?

Protection is a mixed blessing. Pile on too many protections and you turn someone into a beacon, attracting all sorts of unwanted attention. Things will assume that a heavily protected thing is precious enough to go after.

These things really can't be avoided always. Protections are, even if you pile them on like crazy, only as effective as your skill, capabilities and the capacity for your protective setup to withstand different energy exposure.

Basically, there's thousands, maybe millions of variables to account for to weave a perfect protection that will always consistently work. So you should always treat protective channeling as a booster. It will make the person safer but you should still take other precautions.

Quote:
Also, how does it boost luck?

Event chain influencing. Subtly enhancing the chances of a given event to occur (provided you understand the event well enough). Say for instance you know the pattern that the traffic lights operate in and you need to get somewhere. You can exert influence on that pattern and push it slightly. Suddenly you're "lucky". You're hitting all the green lights and never catching a single red.

Luck is an illusion for the most part. It's good planning and random chance coming together to create a coincidental feeling of fate making your life easier. Some people are lucky, but that just means they plan really well and are good at thinking on their feet and in a crisis. It can also mean that they're able to apply minor influences to situations that improve the chances of a favorable outcome, provided they comprehend what's going on.

If I just generally channel before a test, it won't do much. But if I channel a subtle influence over myself and my memory capacity and recall, I'll do a lot better on the test.

I call it luck boosting because "event chain influencing" is clunky and whenever I describe it like that, people are just like, "so you make yourself luckier?" and I sigh, twitch a little in my eyeball, give up on it and say, "sure. That's what I do." *sweatdrop*  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:28 pm
Shearaha
So I finally finished reading all the avalible test on the Omnimancy site. I think that they have some good ideas, but some of it also makes me nervous. Mainly their talk about boosters that will let someone starting out do bigger things. It just kinda gives me this immage of giving a six year old a car and letting them go for a drive. I also don't like that they do all of the channeling externally. I'm still working through how I do my personal energy work, but that just doesn't sound right to me. I need to spend some more time working through my process though before I point out specifics that I don't agree with, since I still haven't worked mine out all the way.

I'm iffy regarding that too. Going into areas that are advanced or powerful when you're still new strikes me as the "kid with loaded shotgun in sandbox" scenario.

I don't like it and it worries me. I especially don't envy whomever would have to clean up the mess they could make with that practice.  

Recursive Paradox

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:54 pm
Recursive Paradox
There are other Reiki practitioners in the guild. If they catch a glimpse of the thread and want to drop in we can expand into Reiki as an example too.

I hope they do! The person I did it with said she drew from a mix of traditions and that in itself sounds iffy to me, which is why I haven't been able to study it more. I do plan on taking Reiki 2 with someone who is of the Usui tradition soon, so maybe I can take that as a refresher and have something of value to say. lol

Quote:
Protection is a mixed blessing. Pile on too many protections and you turn someone into a beacon, attracting all sorts of unwanted attention. Things will assume that a heavily protected thing is precious enough to go after.

These things really can't be avoided always. Protections are, even if you pile them on like crazy, only as effective as your skill, capabilities and the capacity for your protective setup to withstand different energy exposure.

Basically, there's thousands, maybe millions of variables to account for to weave a perfect protection that will always consistently work. So you should always treat protective channeling as a booster. It will make the person safer but you should still take other precautions.

I see, that makes sense. But as far as other spirits or whatever, is there a text you can refer me to that expands more upon what I might need protecting from? Anything I see in the bookstore just sounds like fluff to me and I would like to engage in a real study of energy work without the fluff. I just am not sure where to begin, though I'm probably going to delve into the website you provided this weekend when I have more time to digest it.

Quote:
Event chain influencing. Subtly enhancing the chances of a given event to occur (provided you understand the event well enough). Say for instance you know the pattern that the traffic lights operate in and you need to get somewhere. You can exert influence on that pattern and push it slightly. Suddenly you're "lucky". You're hitting all the green lights and never catching a single red.

Luck is an illusion for the most part. It's good planning and random chance coming together to create a coincidental feeling of fate making your life easier. Some people are lucky, but that just means they plan really well and are good at thinking on their feet and in a crisis. It can also mean that they're able to apply minor influences to situations that improve the chances of a favorable outcome, provided they comprehend what's going on.

If I just generally channel before a test, it won't do much. But if I channel a subtle influence over myself and my memory capacity and recall, I'll do a lot better on the test.

I call it luck boosting because "event chain influencing" is clunky and whenever I describe it like that, people are just like, "so you make yourself luckier?" and I sigh, twitch a little in my eyeball, give up on it and say, "sure. That's what I do." *sweatdrop*

OK, that makes perfect sense. I get what you mean by chain influencing but yes, luck, even though that's not exactly what it is, does save you a few paragraphs. surprised Thanks for taking the time to explain it.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:20 pm
Sophist
Recursive Paradox

I hope they do! The person I did it with said she drew from a mix of traditions and that in itself sounds iffy to me, which is why I haven't been able to study it more. I do plan on taking Reiki 2 with someone who is of the Usui tradition soon, so maybe I can take that as a refresher and have something of value to say. lol

Yeah, unfortunately when someone says they drew from a mixture of traditions, it's a source of worry. Decontextualization can cripple a practice.

Quote:
Quote:

I see, that makes sense. But as far as other spirits or whatever, is there a text you can refer me to that expands more upon what I might need protecting from? Anything I see in the bookstore just sounds like fluff to me and I would like to engage in a real study of energy work without the fluff. I just am not sure where to begin, though I'm probably going to delve into the website you provided this weekend when I have more time to digest it.

Unfortunately I don't have any such text on me. I've mostly protected myself from things I'm not able to name because I don't know what they are.

It really does tend to be the nameless little nasties that jump out and cause issues randomly.

Quote:
Quote:

OK, that makes perfect sense. I get what you mean by chain influencing but yes, luck, even though that's not exactly what it is, does save you a few paragraphs. surprised Thanks for taking the time to explain it.

No problem. I'm glad someone was actually willing to listen. ^^  

Recursive Paradox

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas