Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
GBG halloween party! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Darth Buttsecks

Dapper Gaian

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:04 pm
Foetus In Fetu
/prods Blue Elec/ I love the Cloud fanart.

Sean
>_> I thought Foetus In Fetu was a stiff too but she was the person I most enjoyed talking to throughout the whole thing. XD And she's cute too.

>_> <_< >_<

...n_n

I kept getting people flaming me for 'elitism', so I PMed a couple of them and rationally told them that they were being idiots -- given the whole letting people who were nice and not rude hang around in my thread and the whole making a thread to help other people out also. One PMed me back and was awesome, but another replied, was ageist (a form of elitism O: ), accused me of taking the event too seriously (what with the who now?), insulted my personal life (strangers know more about your life than you do), and made no point in this pile of steaming abuse I received after he'd asked me what my point was. Hypocrisy = heart .

I know I shouldn't b***h or gloat, but stuff like that really pisses me off. I get too much of it (like the crap I get from my suicide thread isn't enough -_-; ). I live in hope that really these people later calm down and kick themselves because they wish they could apologise for being such twats cunts (the English language is so sexist >_>) shits but they can't because I blocked them.

Oh, but the event was fun. Sean, who can call me Mary, was a load of fun to talk to. I didn't know him before, so it was good to fall in with other members of this guild a bit more. I managed to get to Zombie 1, which is the best zombie stage in my opinion and, despite the crap I attract, I totally had fun in my 'elitist' thread and my "You can totally 'leech' off me" thread. heart

The site didn't even lag that much after the initial onslaught (which really killed my computer...).

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I made about 3k in gold.

I would have made it all the way to level five if I hadn't hung about your thread, but getting to see another photo of Mary was well worth it. ~cough~ So, it's all her fault.

Anyway, you should have expected the flaming for the "elitism" as people were flaming everyone else. The event rapidly spun into anarchy. In fact it was so bad that VO wrote about it in his journal.

VO
Oh the unexpected...
Wow... lots of different reactions from the event so far, some positive, some negative... I thought it'd be best to explain some things to clarify.

With the grunny invasion, we wanted to do an event that would be a non stressful way to encourage people to spend their day posting with other users.

We figured that people would hang out in the Halloween Forum and discuss whatever, and all the while everyone would earn more grunnies as they discussed things.

We designed the system in such a way that, the more you posted, the more likely you would get a grunny(regardless of who you posted after). Sure, it helps if you posted after someone who had more grunnies than you(which added a strategic gaming element to the event), but it wasn't absolutely necessary.

I think everyone at Gaia was suprised when things seemed to spiral into a very negative atmosphere. People fighting and acting rude to each other. As one of the main planners in this event, I felt shocked and guilty that I had caused a gaia user to be so mean to another one.

Afterall, this event wasn't meant to be a competition at all.

The basic idea was one person posts and another posts, and slowly throughout the course of the event, everyone should've theoretically reach every level if they worked together.

We even made the items obtainable after a minimal investment of time, so that people who had other things to do this weekend could spend a little bit of time on the event, and then leave in good conscience knowing that they got the event items. And those who wanted to spend their whole weekend on gaia, could foreseeably get the status they wanted for spending the time here. Afterall, one of the core ideas of Gaia is that the more time you invest in the site, the more you get back from it.

But, after this event, we've realized that no matter how well we think we plan something, there's always something that we cannot foresee.

And though our intentions were always good, there's always something that goes wrong.

Which brings me to the situation on the state of the site during the event. We expected a huge turn out for this event as we normally do for any event.

We even implemented some new features on the backend to handle the load and were told we could support up to 60,000 simultaneous users at once. We felt confident that this event would go off without a hitch.

Lo and behold, the day of the event came, and while we launched on time, the servers started freaking out. And worse than that, our ISP freaked out as well, and no one could upload and fix code. Let me tell you, it was a friggin' nitemare. We were so stoked that we could get this event rolling, and then everything had to go wrong on that day.

To me, this is inexcusable. I know personally that I would be disappointed if an event freaked out. I also get frustrated when something I helped plan doesn't work out. But what can you do? There isn't a magic "fix it" button for our site. We are still in development and there are many things we are doing that have never been done before. And because of that, things break. The site slows to a crawl. And people get frustrated. Believe you me, when Gaia users get frustrated, so do I.

I mean, why create a site that is loved by so many and then purposefully do something to mess up those users' day? Does that even make sense?

Even now, we are all working hard to make sure at least Trick or Treating goes off ok. We wanted to simultaneously launch the Towns version of Trick or Treating with the site version, but unfortunately, our servers are still freaking out. Lanzer is currently at the server facility and will most likely be there all night trying to diagnose the problems, meanwhile, everyone else is either monitoring the current activities and or working on future developments.

It is my hope that everyone will chill and have some fun Trick or Treating together. Let's try to stay positive and treat each other with respect. It makes Gaia a better place and puts a smile on my face when I see people enjoying something that they love together. I know it makes me work harder every day because why work hard on something that people don't enjoy?

Take care and best wishes.

I think people were totally misinterpeting it into a public apology, but I translated it much diferently. I even went as far as to comment in his journal even though I doubt he'd actually read it.

Timeless Visage
Okay, maybe I'm wrong when I say this, but I don't think he was really apologizing, but instead in the most politest manner possible asking "WHAT THE ******** IS WRONG WITH YOU GUYS!?!?!??" Perhaps I'm wrong, either way I don't feel he NEEDS to apologize. Lanzer, VO and all the other admins are working very hard on this site and when something goes wrong I'm not expecting an apology as long as he at least makes an attempt to fix it. Actually no, even if they don't make an attempt to fix it, I still feel that they shouldn't make an apology, but instead WE should be thankful that they made this site possible. I know many of you wouldn't even know what to do with yourselves if you didn't have Gaia.

I think you're doing a good job, VO. Keep it up.

On another note, this also proves the theory that it only takes three to sway a mob. I'm sure it was one person who thought of making "THIS AMOUNT OF GRUNNIES ONLY! LOLKTHXBAI!!11!!oneone!!11!!" threads, and then one person decide to follow him and then another, then the whole site errupted into SPAM(But I don't like spam!/monty python reference)

So, it's not his fault at all, but our own. Whoever decided to make that first limitation post should be smacked.....with a brick

Oh, and the only think I think you guys should have done differently is have shut off the ignore feature. >.> That was the only thing I didn't understand during the event. I thought it would have overloaded the database with all the ignoring that happened during this event. I think I'm quite possibly in 02938405923795426346239865498370345 ignore boxes for posting in elitest threads.

Anyway, I've ranted enough. Again, keep up the good work, VO.

Anyway, it was stupid enough for him to comment about in his journal, so I kind of doubt that they'll make another retarded event like that. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if he did.

At any rate, there are pros and cons to every situation, no matter what. The glass is neither half empty or half full in my opinion. Everything has balance, and even in the rapant chaos which brewed, there were people brought closer together, people learned how completely pointless your goals can be at times(you get nothing past zombie levels one and two), and more importantly the admins finally learned that spam is baaad.

Anyway, I've ranted enough. I'll shut up now.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:12 am
I think the only mistake they made was wording the announcement so that it gave the impression that you would only get grunnies if you posted after somebody with more grunnies than you.

Either way, it was going to be a spamfest. Even if that hadn't happened, people would still be filling threads with "I want a grunny for this post." "Bump." "Spam for grunnies!", JUST like it was last year.

There will be more events like this, but it's a shame that things turned out the way they did. I did ignore people who posted in my thread if they were being rude or inconsiderate, but only for ten minutes or so.

None of the admins should feel too bad about it. Disappointed, maybe, but they didn't make people act like idiots towards eachother -- people do that on Gaia anyway. It's just a shame that things turn out like this.  

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

Blue Elec

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:08 am
((......your kitty is humping your face huh? Well to each their own))

I reckon the Admins are great and don't deserve any of the flak they get. They give up their free time to work on a free site and plan events for us to make everything fun, they deserve our praise honour and respect for being such good people (*Takes piss out of self* The Sun probably shines out of their behinds ya know). It's a shame the event degenerated to a selfish, Elitest mess.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:13 pm
Blue Elec
((......your kitty is humping your face huh? Well to each their own))

She's not humping my face, she's clinging onto it for dear life like the kitten staring at me from underneath my radiator does also. You're going to have me thinking about it like that now. -_-;

What the hell? There's an option to display inventory items? That's like endorsing item-whoring (maybe that'll stop people putting a million expensive things on their avatar to whore).

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

Arivel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:44 pm
Timeless Visage
Arivel
Timeless Visage
I must say, even if I didn't get to 500 grunnies like I wanted to, that was probably the most fun I've ever had on Gaia. Foetus In Fetu and A Lost Iguana were really fun to speak to, and they made the whole event worthwhile. ^^ This event let me get to know my fellow guild members alot better.

>_> I thought Foetus In Fetu was a stiff too but she was the person I most enjoyed talking to throughout the whole thing. XD
And she's cute too.

And we found a new guild member! whee All in all, I had a good time. I didn't sleep much. About three or four hours in the past few days, but it was FUN. 3nodding

Is it just me or does it seem alot more tense inside the guild?

I enjoyed talking to you, even though it was a rather short period of time. Sorry about that. The lag from so many people being on killed my internet.

xDDD

Tense inside the guild? I don't know, I'm rarely here.

Yes, we didn't get to speak long enough... You were very interesting, as I've never met any other American who disliked this country as much as I do. >_>

And it's quite alright, no need to apologise.

Why aren't you ever here?

I can't say I've ever met anyone who dislikes this country as much as I do. Most people love it. biggrin xP

I'm never here because School takes up most of my life and then I volunteer at a place after school. So when I get home it's well after midnight in Britain and no one is on. So I don't really bother coming to the Guild much anymore. T.T Ohwell.

So yup, anyhoo....

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:51 pm
Arivel
Timeless Visage
Arivel
Timeless Visage
I must say, even if I didn't get to 500 grunnies like I wanted to, that was probably the most fun I've ever had on Gaia. Foetus In Fetu and A Lost Iguana were really fun to speak to, and they made the whole event worthwhile. ^^ This event let me get to know my fellow guild members alot better.

>_> I thought Foetus In Fetu was a stiff too but she was the person I most enjoyed talking to throughout the whole thing. XD
And she's cute too.

And we found a new guild member! whee All in all, I had a good time. I didn't sleep much. About three or four hours in the past few days, but it was FUN. 3nodding

Is it just me or does it seem alot more tense inside the guild?

I enjoyed talking to you, even though it was a rather short period of time. Sorry about that. The lag from so many people being on killed my internet.

xDDD

Tense inside the guild? I don't know, I'm rarely here.

Yes, we didn't get to speak long enough... You were very interesting, as I've never met any other American who disliked this country as much as I do. >_>

And it's quite alright, no need to apologise.

Why aren't you ever here?

I can't say I've ever met anyone who dislikes this country as much as I do. Most people love it. biggrin xP

I'm never here because School takes up most of my life and then I volunteer at a place after school. So when I get home it's well after midnight in Britain and no one is on. So I don't really bother coming to the Guild much anymore. T.T Ohwell.

So yup, anyhoo....

Well, you have my IM now. So, if you want to talk to anyone, just IM me. I'm there, trust me; even if it says I'm offline.  

Darth Buttsecks

Dapper Gaian

Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas