Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

`apple dumpling

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:10 am
Fushigi na Butterfly
Holy crap, I'm gone for a few days and this topic explodes. eek

At any rate, I think both Liz and Priestley are making valid points, though I can understand Priestley's view better. From what I'm reading in your posts, Liz, and specifically from your comment about the hypothetical friend who was having unprotected sex but still didn't want children, it sounds like you don't want to deal with people who don't hold themselves to the same standard you hold yourself to. For you personally, it is important to barricade your uterus against any unwanted entity in any way possible (I would just be careful, because if, in the future, you change your mind, depending on the methods of contraception you decide to use, pregnancy may be difficult to achieve). That's all well and fine- if that's your choice, good on you. But it's not fair to judge someone else because of their apparent indifference to so-called responsibility. In the end, it becomes more of a "don't come crying to me because you didn't stop what you didn't want to happen," and that's not fair, by any means. God never holds us in that light- He gives us the choice, and no matter what we decide, He still wants us to go to Him with it, whatever the outcome. The responsibility does come into play in the prevention aspect, but I think it's more important in the consequences half of the situation- the part where a couple has to decide "what now?".

At any rate, you are aware that Plan B is abortion, right? There is no such pill or patch or anything that prevents implantation (aside, of course, from barrier methods of birth control). Plan B essentially forces you to have a period- my best friend said it sucks, and she said she was sick for a day and a half while her body churned out what may or may not have been a baby in the making. If you believe that life begins at conception, and if you are personally against abortion as an option for you, then you don't want to use morning after pills. It is abortion.

Also, as for birth control pills, they do regulat ovulation, as ovulation is a part of your menstrual cycle (ovulation, the few days little eggs spends in falopian tubes, implantation, expulsion (this is so awesome, isn't it, boys?? 8D)). You're given a month's worth of pills that trick your body into thinking it's pregnant by the release of estrogen (and progesteron too I think), and the last pill (or it may be the last few pills, I'll have to ask my bff) is/are sugar pill(s). You take them like the rest of your birth control, but the lack of extra hormones makes your body think it's no longer pregnant, and you have your period. What's convenient is that you know exactly when you'd be able to get pregnant, which is good for preventing or encouraging conception. 3nodding

Actually, Plan B is not an abortion. Check the website. It just contains a higher dosage of progestrin to do exactly the same thing birth control does only on a fast and larger basis. It basically makes the uterus uninhabitable. It will not terminate an existing pregnancy. The abortion pill is RU-486 and is only available by prescription.

http://www.go2planb.com/
Quote:

Plan B® isn't effective if you're already pregnant, and it won't terminate an existing pregnancy.

And I'm on birth control. It's awesome. I don't have cramps now biggrin

Like I said, birth control is either estrogen and progestrin or just progestrin (depending on the woman's needs) and it tricks the woman's body into thinking is pregnant, which prevents the release of an egg as well as increases mucus lining in the cervix, preventing sperm from entering. And yes, the last week are simply sugar pills, but the woman is still protected against pregnancy that week (though why you'd want to have sex during your period is beyond me.)

And as I said, I suppose my problem is lack of understanding of that mentality. I simply cannot wrap my brain around why you would choose to have unprotected sex if you didn't want a child. Like I said, if I found out someone had an unwanted pregnancy, I wouldn't condemn them for having unprotected sex because what's done is done and harping on them isn't going to help the situation any. I'd help them through it, whatever they chose.

As I've also said, as long as the couple is prepared to handle the consequences responsibly, then that's good too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:07 am
Perhaps the issue is difficulty accepting that people have a laissez-faire attitude to sex and reproduction? A relaxed "so what? We'll cross that bridge when we come to it" needn't necessarily be irresponsible.  

Priestley

`apple dumpling

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:14 am
Priestley
Perhaps the issue is difficulty accepting that people have a laissez-faire attitude to sex and reproduction? A relaxed "so what? We'll cross that bridge when we come to it" needn't necessarily be irresponsible.

That's basically what I'm trying to say. My belief is sex is a big step for a couple, and should be understood as something that comes with responsibilities. I also feel that way about having a child, as I think there's a lot of preparation that comes along with having a baby. I'm a very cautious and prepared person, so I don't always understand this "go with the flow" mentality when it comes to something so life altering and serious.

Though I'm definitely a live and let live kind of person, and as long as people are handling the situation in a way that isn't irresponsible, I'm cool with the living their lives. The either need to use protection, or take responsibility for their actions should pregnancy occur. I suppose my other aversion is that, in today's society, it seems like a lot of people don't take responsibility for their actions and the consequences that follow.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:41 am
`apple dumpling
Priestley

That's basically what I'm trying to say. My belief is sex is a big step for a couple, and should be understood as something that comes with responsibilities. I also feel that way about having a child, as I think there's a lot of preparation that comes along with having a baby. I'm a very cautious and prepared person, so I don't always understand this "go with the flow" mentality when it comes to something so life altering and serious.

I can understand that. Planning is a huge part of your personality and it's a great thing because of that. However, regarding being life-altering and serious, I think it is exaggerated to be such. Taking a look at nature and you find it seems to do a pretty good job of taking care of itself. I only have to take a look at my sister and how she manages as a single mother to look after two children (one with a slight disability) that makes me realise that having children is as much a part of life as everything else, rather than an event that changes everything. It's to be taken in its stride. Don't get me wrong, it's not like it was an easy thing for her to accept, but she managed.

`apple dumpling
Though I'm definitely a live and let live kind of person, and as long as people are handling the situation in a way that isn't irresponsible, I'm cool with the living their lives. The either need to use protection, or take responsibility for their actions should pregnancy occur. I suppose my other aversion is that, in today's society, it seems like a lot of people don't take responsibility for their actions and the consequences that follow.

I agree with you on this point. I wish everyone would be responsible but, just because I am willing to burden the responsibility for my actions doesn't mean I would expect others to burden the same responsibility. I don't find the irresponsibility of others incomprehendable or unacceptable. There tends to be an understandable reason behind everyone's choices, whether they're accidental or deliberate, it's just that they're often unknown to us. The only way we understand people's choices is by being willing to engage with people. It's part of empathy, I suppose, and empathy for me is essential for forgiveness and understanding people's situations (not suggesting that you're unforgiving, of course).  

Priestley

`apple dumpling

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:40 am
Priestley
`apple dumpling
Priestley

I can understand that. Planning is a huge part of your personality and it's a great thing because of that. However, regarding being life-altering and serious, I think it is exaggerated to be such. Taking a look at nature and you find it seems to do a pretty good job of taking care of itself. I only have to take a look at my sister and how she manages as a single mother to look after two children (one with a slight disability) that makes me realise that having children is as much a part of life as everything else, rather than an event that changes everything. It's to be taken in its stride. Don't get me wrong, it's not like it was an easy thing for her to accept, but she managed.

`apple dumpling

I agree with you on this point. I wish everyone would be responsible but, just because I am willing to burden the responsibility for my actions doesn't mean I would expect others to burden the same responsibility. I don't find the irresponsibility of others incomprehendable or unacceptable. There tends to be an understandable reason behind everyone's choices, whether they're accidental or deliberate, it's just that they're often unknown to us. The only way we understand people's choices is by being willing to engage with people. It's part of empathy, I suppose, and empathy for me is essential for forgiveness and understanding people's situations (not suggesting that you're unforgiving, of course).

A lot of this may simply be the stage of my life I'm at. I'm in college, so if I were to become pregnant and go through with the pregnancy, I would have to take at least a semester off. Should choose to keep the child (which I probably wouldn't) it would drastically effect my future and the careers I consider. Being in the theatre and having children, especially when you're starting out, don't always mix very well. Stage management is also a very high stress and time intensive job- not conducive to pregnancy or child raising.

As I said, a lot of my belief pretty much stems from my views of sex, child raising, where I am in life, and my need to have a plan and keep things running smoothly. It's just part of my nature.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:45 pm
`apple dumpling
Fushigi na Butterfly

At any rate, I think both Liz and Priestley are making valid points, though I can understand Priestley's view better. From what I'm reading in your posts, Liz, and specifically from your comment about the hypothetical friend who was having unprotected sex but still didn't want children, it sounds like you don't want to deal with people who don't hold themselves to the same standard you hold yourself to. For you personally, it is important to barricade your uterus against any unwanted entity in any way possible (I would just be careful, because if, in the future, you change your mind, depending on the methods of contraception you decide to use, pregnancy may be difficult to achieve). That's all well and fine- if that's your choice, good on you. But it's not fair to judge someone else because of their apparent indifference to so-called responsibility. In the end, it becomes more of a "don't come crying to me because you didn't stop what you didn't want to happen," and that's not fair, by any means. God never holds us in that light- He gives us the choice, and no matter what we decide, He still wants us to go to Him with it, whatever the outcome. The responsibility does come into play in the prevention aspect, but I think it's more important in the consequences half of the situation- the part where a couple has to decide "what now?".

At any rate, you are aware that Plan B is abortion, right? There is no such pill or patch or anything that prevents implantation (aside, of course, from barrier methods of birth control). Plan B essentially forces you to have a period- my best friend said it sucks, and she said she was sick for a day and a half while her body churned out what may or may not have been a baby in the making. If you believe that life begins at conception, and if you are personally against abortion as an option for you, then you don't want to use morning after pills. It is abortion.

Also, as for birth control pills, they do regulat ovulation, as ovulation is a part of your menstrual cycle (ovulation, the few days little eggs spends in falopian tubes, implantation, expulsion (this is so awesome, isn't it, boys?? 8D)). You're given a month's worth of pills that trick your body into thinking it's pregnant by the release of estrogen (and progesteron too I think), and the last pill (or it may be the last few pills, I'll have to ask my bff) is/are sugar pill(s). You take them like the rest of your birth control, but the lack of extra hormones makes your body think it's no longer pregnant, and you have your period. What's convenient is that you know exactly when you'd be able to get pregnant, which is good for preventing or encouraging conception. 3nodding

Actually, Plan B is not an abortion. Check the website. It just contains a higher dosage of progestrin to do exactly the same thing birth control does only on a fast and larger basis. It basically makes the uterus uninhabitable. It will not terminate an existing pregnancy. The abortion pill is RU-486 and is only available by prescription.

Quote:

Plan B® isn't effective if you're already pregnant, and it won't terminate an existing pregnancy.

It seems I was wrong about no pill preventing implantation. However, my point still stands. I guess, then, it depends on when you consider the beginning of a pregnancy. I consider that a woman is pregnant as soon as sperm and egg unite, and cell division begins, because what will become a baby is already developing. Just because it hasn't reached the uterus yet does not mean it's not alive. However, alot of woman don't consider to a pregnancy to be started until implantation. If that is your stance, then no, Plan B is not an abortive birth control pill. If you follow my stance, then it is.  

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

`apple dumpling

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:21 am
Fushigi na Butterfly
`apple dumpling
Fushigi na Butterfly

Quote:

It seems I was wrong about no pill preventing implantation. However, my point still stands. I guess, then, it depends on when you consider the beginning of a pregnancy. I consider that a woman is pregnant as soon as sperm and egg unite, and cell division begins, because what will become a baby is already developing. Just because it hasn't reached the uterus yet does not mean it's not alive. However, alot of woman don't consider to a pregnancy to be started until implantation. If that is your stance, then no, Plan B is not an abortive birth control pill. If you follow my stance, then it is.

This is true. I suppose I've never really considered a woman pregnant until implantation, but that's simply my perspective. If a woman is against abortion and see Plan B as an abortion, than it is perfectly reasonable for her to not use it.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:18 am
Exactly. I would personally never use a Plan B pill. I'd likely start on birth control pills beforehand, if I could foresee a compromising predicament as a likely occurance. Otherwise, I'd make sure we were both protected in some way. -shrug-  

Fushigi na Butterfly

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

Priestley

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:53 am
Fushigi na Butterfly
Exactly. I would personally never use a Plan B pill. I'd likely start on birth control pills beforehand, if I could foresee a compromising predicament as a likely occurance. Otherwise, I'd make sure we were both protected in some way. -shrug-

Compromising predicaments necessitate cold showers. xd  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:35 am
Priestley
Fushigi na Butterfly

rofl  

Fushigi na Butterfly

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

Lazarus The Resurected

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:17 am
Priestley
Fushigi na Butterfly

Or warm bedclothes.  
Thread Archive {Hot topics}

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 4

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas