Reply Writing Discussion
Self-Publishing or Agent?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

JolieEtoile

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:05 pm
Um... Hi, I 'm new to the guild and before I do anything else, I have a question.

I really want to publish and at the moment I am working on a book (rewriting it is more like it...) and I'm not sure how I want to go through with this. Does anyone know which is better: self-publishing or getting an agent?

I'd really appreciate it if everyone can help me decide. Thanks a bunch!

@;~ Saph  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:55 pm
I really don't know what to say to you because I'm not an expert. I've only published poetry before, not novels.

I wouldn't suggest going through with self publishing from what I know, that would be more for you just to have a printed and bound copy of your work. If you were to go the traditional publishing route, you could just send in your polished copy to a few respectable publishing houses and see what they think. I'm not quite sure how to acquire an agent, but I'm sure you could find information on that online.  

Stelle Cadenti
Captain

Prophet

JolieEtoile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:49 am
Thank you. ^-^ Sorry I haven't posted, I was very sick last week.
Yeah, I've looked up all the information I might need for looking for agents, but I wanted to get someone else's opinion. Self-publishing looks just as great as going through an agent...  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:43 pm
I have never published either, and I also have a novel in the works. I don't know very much, though I should probably start finding out, but I do know a few things about publishing houses and what they want to see. I know that if you send your work to a big publishing house, such as Scholastic or Penguin, that they will want for you to have an agent. I have no idea why they want someone else to submit your work for you, but that is just the way it is done. As far as actual agents, I have no idea who could qualify.  

Pale Vermillion

Horsket

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:32 pm
This was a hard topic for me too. Publishers are usually looking to publish work from authors who have an agent, yet agents are looking for people to help out who have already been published. Agents are a good idea, but there is a couple of downfalls:
1. Money. Lots of money...
2. Make sure you have a reputable agent. There are a lot of agents out there that take advantage of their authors. A word of advice: If your agent asks for a reading fee (meaning he/she wants you to pay them to read it), DO NOT go through with them any further. There are a lot of books naming reputable agents throughout your area, but you have to make sure it has been recently updated; the agent world is constantley changing.
Here are the publishing (without an agent) downfalls:
1. Some publishers will want your agent to be sending in your finished work. Some will require that you have an agent, no matter what.
2. Even if they decide to publish your book, they will be sending a whole lot of legal documents over for you to sign which you might not fully understand. Since you won't have an agent to help you with the whole process, you might just find yourself stuck.
I hope this helps! Good luck!  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:39 am
I would love to be able to publish a book of poetry... how do I go about doing this? I have absolutely 0% knowledge about all things publishing. sweatdrop Please comment or pm me on my profile page if you can/want to help! Thank you guys!  

evolvingwolf

Creator of Destruction

6,600 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:51 pm
@ Jolie: First of all, do not, absolutely do not send your book to anyone at all until it is completed. No publisher or agent will read unfinished fiction from a first time author, no matter how generous they may be. I would avoid self-publishing if I were you, and work instead on catching a good agent's attention. (Self-publishing is usually for local works or people who just really want to put their book in a bound form, and you're likely to lose more money than you make.) Agents know the business better than you will, and they can find publishers that you may never have considered. Reputable agents have connections already, and if they're well liked by the publishing community it will send any recommendations they make to the top priority list. Unless you're an accomplished negotiator, they can figure out precisely how much you should make for the commission of your novel, and believe me, they work for you. You're the client, and the reason agents will usually only take on novel projects is because they make the most money--an agent makes the majority (if not all) of their money from that 10-15% commission they receive when your book sells. They want you to get sold and hit it big, because that will make them more money. And because an agent is trying to sell to a publishing house, they want to be remembered fondly. They work hard to make an editor's life easier, and so many editors prefer to work with them. They also have a lot more experience, and will work on rewriting your summaries and synopses so that they become really eye-catching. All in all, your best bet is an agent, if you can net one. But expect a lot of rejections, because it's a tough business. Publishing can take years; don't get discouraged when you get 10 rejection letters in a row. Many published authors received hundreds--for example, J.K. Rowling.

@ Evolving: For you, finding an agent will be harder. Most agents don't take on poetry books because they make significantly less money than novels. Try sending specifically to editors or agents who specialize in poetry, and ignore most of the ones who merely accept it. Make sure that whoever you submit to takes poetry submissions, because the last thing you want to do is send your work to someone who won't even read it. Those would be my best suggestions for you.

To anyone trying to get published or find an agent, Writer's Market is a phenomenal source for reputable companies. Hope all this helps.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:21 pm
I second that Writer's market is a fantastic source of information for new authors trying to get published or find an agent. They sell a generalized book as well as a short story/novel guide (which is also useful) and a literary agents guide. I would suggest giving them a read-through.  

Alanora Calaran

evolvingwolf

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:30 am
All right, thanks for the info! I'm working on trying to write a novel, but poetry, even though it's a sadly dying art (especially with my age group; I'm 20) is what I've interestingly been gifted with the abilities for. I'll keep everyone posted on my ventures!!  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:33 pm
Creator Of Destruction: I'm confused. Getting an agent is the right way to go, right? You should get an agent? I don't think thirteen-year-olds or younger writers get published very often and are taken seriously. What would be the right route if you were a younger writer?  

Writer Selbe

Invisible Conversationalist

SpunkMonkey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:03 pm
Writer Selbe
Creator Of Destruction: I'm confused. Getting an agent is the right way to go, right? You should get an agent? I don't think thirteen-year-olds or younger writers get published very often and are taken seriously. What would be the right route if you were a younger writer?

I would still go the same route honestly, but then again I have not been published yet myself. Still though having an agent is the best way to make sure that your published book actually gets noticed. If you go through books most are published and the only sucessful self published book I heard of was actually picked up by a agency. Your age should have nothing to do with it, on the contrary it might be a great selling point. You are way beyond your peers if you have a book written, edited, and ready to publish. Remember, the main thing for all authors, poets, or anyone getting published is selling your idea first and you second. Take your negatives and turn them into positives.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 11:24 pm
An agent is the more 'traditional' means of publication and still the most respected method of publication in the literary sphere. It will also result in the widest marketing arc for your book.

Self-publishing isn't really publication in the sense that most people consider it - your book will not turn up on the shelves at Barnes and Noble via self-publishing (though if you have a lot of money to throw on the venture, market it well, and manage to gain a fandom, it may be picked up by a publisher Re: The Paolini method.)

A third option: Small houses and, increasingly, E-publication venues often accept works direct from the author - especially for short works. You probably won't get famous via e-publishing, but it's an excellent stepping stone to greater things as it fills out your resume as a writer.

You can find valid e-publishers and smaller houses via http://www.duotrope.com/index.aspx

I'm published with Circlet Press
and hoping to be published with Verb Noire  

Moniquill

7,150 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
Writing Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers