Reply Advice & Academic Studies
Did I do the right thing?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

FrenchieGirl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:38 pm
I have a ex boyfriend, and he's liked me on and off ever since we broke up. I don't have any clue why. But every time he starts to like me I distance myself, right? Because I don't want to give him the idea I like him back... Well, I thought we were finally getting past the whole, him liking me thing. He had a girlfriend he'd been dating for over a year, on and off, and I thought it was safe to become good friends with him again. I mean, I'd always wanted him as a friend... So I went to Disneyland with My ex, his girlfriend, and our mutual friend. After the day he texted me and wanted advice because he, "didn't feel the same way" about his current girlfriend anymore. So I told him that its really up to him... I didn't want to get involved... The problem was I had started to feel for him a little and I knew I had to get away form him. I made the mistake of asking him if he had feelings for me.. Of course he did, anyone couldve predicted that... But I felt like it was my fault for letting myself get close to him again. Then I ust got angry at him for trying to get with me when he had a girlfriend...
I basically told him to get out of my life.
I was tired of the drama.
But I feel like I've done the wrong thing... Like I could've handled it better.
And I didn't enjoy being harsh with him.
I just felt like it needed to be done.
Now I don't have feelings for him.. But he broke up with his girlfriend.
I feel terrible for hurting her too...
I feel like such a b***h.

So was I right, or wring, in the way I handled things?  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:47 pm
While there was a way you could have dealt with it better this entire thing was not your fault. This was your ex, he made his bed. Anyway I can see how you'd feel bad about the whole thing but truth is that this wasn't going to end anytime soon. What you could have said was for him to talk to her not you about this kind of thing and not have brought up him liking you at all. But in truth he would have broken up with the other girl because he was still fixated on you. Then he'd do this to another girl and then another and it just wouldn't end unless you were both out of each others life. I've been in a similar situation and staying friends with the ex rarely works. You have no grounds to feel bad, because you didn't do anything. This was his doing not yours. And infact you should feel good. Now that he's out of your life he can finally move on and move past your relationship. So in a way you actually helped him to move on by giving him the kick in the butt to do so, he'll never thank you for it but it's the truth.

Alot of people, when they stay friends with ex'es, constantly do the whole "on again off again" thing mostly because of familiairity. (Just so you know for the future) That's why it's best to seperate yourselves completely for about 6 months to a year so that you both have time to move on.q  

GrayEnvy

Tenacious Pie

14,565 Points
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
Advice & Academic Studies

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items