Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
THPS & Fluffy-Bunny-itis Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:26 pm
Recursive Paradox
Deoridhe
TeaDidikai
Recursive Paradox
TeaDidikai
Recursive Paradox
That condition won't remain much longer. I'm starting to become slightly irate.
Not sure he's even posting here anymore.

Even if he is, he's safe now. I just went volcanic on some idiot in a thread where people are claiming that DID causes your actual eye color to literally change.

Cue angry bio gal's eye twitch: x_O
Ummm... to be fair, if a person who has DID also has hazel eyes, and the system's personalities select a style and color pallet that is different enough from one another- that's possible in so much that the reflection and contrast of certain colors could cause the light refracting from the person onto people's vision to register as a different color.

Also, DID has somewhat measurable odd effects on human bodies, including different shoe sizes and different allergies. Of course, all studies can only be single subject; I'm sure you can comprehend why.

I've yet to find a study that found any change in melanin in the eye. Shoe sizes and allergies? What studies asserted this?

I'm curious now.

No studies.

Doing studies on people who had DID would be a gross ethical violation. I can't think of a single circumstance under which the knowledge gained from such a study is worth risking the further destruction of a person.

However, individual therapists and individuals with DID have reported that shoes don't fit for some alters, and that allergies are different. Eye color changes may well occur as well. Usually these are footnotes to a childhood full of horrific trauma no person should ever have to endure, however.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:37 pm
Deoridhe

No studies.

Doing studies on people who had DID would be a gross ethical violation. I can't think of a single circumstance under which the knowledge gained from such a study is worth risking the further destruction of a person.

Eh, true enough.

Quote:
However, individual therapists and individuals with DID have reported that shoes don't fit for some alters, and that allergies are different. Eye color changes may well occur as well. Usually these are footnotes to a childhood full of horrific trauma no person should ever have to endure, however.

I can't really find anecdotes like that to be all that reliable, especially when they tend to be scattered among some isolated cases and not among others.

*shrug*  

Recursive Paradox

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:40 pm
Recursive Paradox
Deoridhe

I can't really find anecdotes like that to be all that reliable, especially when they tend to be scattered among some isolated cases and not among others.

*shrug*

Urm... DID itself is (thank all the gods, and may it become more rare; may Frigga flay the skin of those who would allow the torture of children) is scattered among isolated cases and largely anecdotal. It's one of the side effects of psychology; a lot of it is in our heads and yet is still really, really important.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:47 pm
Deoridhe
Recursive Paradox
Deoridhe

*shrug*

Urm... DID itself is (thank all the gods, and may it become more rare; may Frigga flay the skin of those who would allow the torture of children) is scattered among isolated cases and largely anecdotal. It's one of the side effects of psychology; a lot of it is in our heads and yet is still really, really important.

I know. I'm just saying that it isn't a great counterargument for the scientific knowledge we already have regarding melanin production in the eyes.

Not to say you're making a counterargument, just that I'm going to go with established biological knowledge before I go with anecdotes when they contradict each other.

And agreed on the hope that DID becomes more rare. The idea of someone harming a child to that degree makes my skin crawl and my insides twist.  

Recursive Paradox

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:50 pm
Recursive Paradox
Deoridhe
Recursive Paradox
Deoridhe

*shrug*

I know. I'm just saying that it isn't a great counterargument for the scientific knowledge we already have regarding melanin production in the eyes.

Not to say you're making a counterargument, just that I'm going to go with established biological knowledge before I go with anecdotes when they contradict each other.

And agreed on the hope that DID becomes more rare. The idea of someone harming a child to that degree makes my skin crawl and my insides twist.

I think it is unlikely. Hel, the shoe example was one person (and, like I said, it was seriously an afterthought but annoyance because they had to buy other shoes for that alter), but I can understand the impulse to discount it. I just don't, personally, think that drawing a hard line around reality with science and discounting everything else is particularly the way to go... especially in a forum where most of the members tend toward non-scientific hobbies. ninja  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:01 pm
Deoridhe
I just don't, personally, think that drawing a hard line around reality with science and discounting everything else is particularly the way to go... especially in a forum where most of the members tend toward non-scientific hobbies. ninja

Okay. *grin*

If something supernatural is involved then consider my claims rescinded on account of bendy reality. *nodnod*  

Recursive Paradox

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:15 pm
Recursive Paradox
Deoridhe
I just don't, personally, think that drawing a hard line around reality with science and discounting everything else is particularly the way to go... especially in a forum where most of the members tend toward non-scientific hobbies. ninja

Okay. *grin*

If something supernatural is involved then consider my claims rescinded on account of bendy reality. *nodnod*

*grins*  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces