Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
I need more angels around me. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

thug to the limit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:06 am
I have used charcol, paint, ink, color pencils, and so on. All this is actually a bit older work seeing I i almost never update here anymore. God please don't remind me of perspective, I have some storyboards I have to finish for my story boarding class xp xp xp xp

Personally I can't stand hatching, I don't like how the blending feels.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 6:58 am
here are some semi rendered sketxhes, upi can still see the thumbnails.

Story art
User Image

character art
User Image
User Image  

thug to the limit

Folken_Schezar
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:40 pm
thug to the limit
I have used charcol, paint, ink, color pencils, and so on. All this is actually a bit older work seeing I i almost never update here anymore. God please don't remind me of perspective, I have some storyboards I have to finish for my story boarding class xp xp xp xp

well i think that's one of your biggest set backs right that. perspective is uber important. and thats one of the reasons your stuff looks really flat.

and referring to you hating to draw faces. the reason you dislike it is cause you don't have a strong understand of proportions. the reason its hard for you is because you try to put things in the right place but you don't understand the "formula" the face is a proportion clusterf*** to be honest. everything relates to everything else. mess up just a little bit and you'll end up with a weird looking face.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:25 pm
Y'know, the more I look at your work, the more I keep getting reminded of a certain book. You should really look into getting it. I'm sure you can find a copy at the library or borrow it from someone who has it, if money is an issue.

Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain  

Syrella
Crew

7,900 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Friendly 100

thug to the limit

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:47 pm
Drawing with the right side of the brain i had for years now, it did little for me really. I hate tutorials, I hate books, all that is copying someone else's way of drawing, and doesn't teach anything on the element of design. That is a fundamental I have been missing for years really.

User Image
User Image
User Image
User Image  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:20 pm
Start drawing things with simple 3d shapes.

Your stuff is starting to show a little improvement, but working on your basic structure will take your the farthest.

User Image

I had to order plaster shapes through the school, but before I was able to get them, I just went to a craft store (Michael's, AC Moore, Rag Shop, or whatever) and bought those foam shapes you stick the fake flowers in. Get white ones. You need at least the sphere, cube, and cylinder, but get the cone too if you see one that's not too much taller than your other shapes.) Set them up with some lighting and just draw what you see. You'll get a sense of form and lighting that will really strengthen your drawing.

Use what you learning to do life drawing. I literally spend hours just drawing simple constructions from here to work on dynamic figure drawing. I try to do so at least 2-3 nights a week.

User Image
User Image

These same simple concepts are what one uses to make any kind of object or figure.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Errol McGillivray
Captain

thug to the limit

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:35 pm
I just notice I didn't post this earlier lol, well anyways the coloring sucs because I did do a color thumbnail so I would know what color I wanted ahead of time. Well this was ultimately a learning process to get a understanding of a new medium for me. Well doesn't matter since its old work now.

Froggy sketch
User Image

Froggy color render 1
User Image

Froggy color layer render 2
User Image  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:47 pm
As visual developer and illustrator I feel I have not been pushing myself at all, so here is another illustration and story art I have started this time on 11 by 17 paper. Its about a knight who is on his last breath before a mighty monster about to crush him, I used over 12 different reference images (and I still can't draw armor worth s**t.) 8 of them being different sets of armor, and 4 being octopus. there is a great deal of problems with my proportion, anatomy and perspective since in my 4 thumbnails I was fighting with the composition of this piece, but composition wise out of all four this one stood out the most, so I went with this one. I will continue working and if all else fails I will restart the illustration from scrap.

The nights last stand

thug to the limit

thug to the limit

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:03 pm
here goes some john howe workshops
User Image
User Image

random drawing
User Image  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:20 pm
I see some improvement, but there's still a long ways to go.

I still feel like you're drawing symbols more than actually seeing what's there. The mind likes to simplify shapes to make them easier to process and I suspect that this is your main obstacle right now.

Here's an excellent example of how the mind plays tricks on you:

Why don't you try doing a self-portrait in the mirror? Study the angles of your face and its features for a good few minutes before even putting your pencil down.

Alternatively, you could try drawing from an upside-down photograph. It's a good way to gauge how much you're simplifying things in your mind.  

Syrella
Crew

7,900 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Friendly 100

thug to the limit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:36 pm
lols I haven't been here in forever.  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items