Reply Painting and Modelling Discussion
Molten rock

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

RevlinHeartsblood

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:56 pm
ive got a little figurine style thinger i got from my sister like 5 years ago. well theres 3 of them, dragons, and the one im talking about here is a dragon, resting upon a rock. ive got an idea as to what i want to paint it, but im having troubles with the rock... the dragon is going to be a red dragon, and i want to paint the rock like its molten, and i have no idea how id go about painting it with only 4 colors of... red? scab red, accidently-too-much-water blood red, blazing orange, and .... yellow... generic. walmart. yellow. lol
so does anyone know how i could paint said rock to make it look molten?  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:04 am
erm... it depends on how you want the "molten" rock to look. and the type of rock you want it to be.

if your going for the generic blackened rock floating in magma, then paint the rock in one consisted colour 1st. then paint the magma in a gradient, with the darkest colour closest to the rock, and up to a creamy white at the edge of the base. you could then drybrush the light effects onto the rock

if you want the rock itself to physically be magma, then i wouldn't know what to suggest, although a cool idea would be to paint thin lines of magma on the rock (as if tiny streams of magma are escaping from inside it, or being created on the rock by the heat of the dragon) that effect could be achieved with 2 colours, a light red and a creamy white, start by painting the lines in the red, then do a thinner line down the middle of the white.  

Darkweaver66

6,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Brandisher 100

Messyart

Hostile Streaker

10,775 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:26 pm
Well the first thing is reference material.

Here are a few good ones for you to know the rough way to paint it.
*Sorry for page stretch*

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:31 pm
alright, ive got a better explaination, and a more... "specific" question.

firstoff, heres the "model" im painting (so far its just got an undercoat of scab red on it)

full shot so you know what it looks like
rock1
rock2

ok, so, in the cracks of it, im trying for thin cracks, like the cooling top layer of a puddle of lava cracking, and showing the lava underneath

i found a picture on GW's site, but it seems to be down for the time being, so the next best picture i know of is one of DE's
(Stolen, please forgive me)
the problem seems to be is that, unlike my rock, this example is flat, thus, it seems more... "easy" to do...
my question(s) now being. how can i paint on that lava, then paint on black, leaving a thin line of lava?
drybrushing would leave; 1. brushed, unsolid lines, and 2. streaks of lava way too wide.
does anyone know of any painting techniques that i could do to make a nice, solid, natural line where the lava underneath the rock, and the rock, meet?  

RevlinHeartsblood

Messyart

Hostile Streaker

10,775 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Millionaire 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:00 am
Sponging?

Get a small lump of sponge and then dab it on, use a few light layers of black and grey.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:04 pm
I guess a good question to ask is where EXACTLY do you want the lava? I mean, a practical one if you are looking for lines is in the concave corners of the rock, in which case I would say just paint a thicker line of like orange or red then gradient it into bright yellow or white in the middle.

Another useful piece of info would be, do you want it too look like lava would be flowing down the rock or like the cracks in the rock are red hot?  

billsabob

RevlinHeartsblood

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:44 pm
i like messyarts idea, i have a straight edged art sponge i could try using.

and billsabob, yeah, sorry i guess i never did mention where i wanted the cracks.... and yeah, in the concave edges of the rock.
as for what i want it to look like, i want it to look like the rock is cracking, the and the hot rock underneath is glowing and showing through  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:25 pm
Perhaps it would be easier to get the red hot painted first, so like make a heavy white undercoat at least in the cracks that you want and then just kinda fade to like an orange then to a cool red, and then paint the rest of the rock just without painting the cracks.

This is just an idea, ive never actually tried something like this before, but it sounds like a really cool idea. The above is just what I THINK would work, and I by no means guarantee that it would work.  

billsabob

RevlinHeartsblood

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:03 pm
ill use the white undercoat idea, will most likely make the orange stand out more. i wouldntve thought of using white.

i think im going to try painting it soon, using billsabob's idea, and using a sponge, and dab on black paint for the rock  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:12 pm
I agree with the white undercoat idea; it makes it stand out as brighter, just be careful with it and make sure you get it evenly layered down to the color you want, blended slightly so it's not quite all the same color.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

RevlinHeartsblood

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:27 pm
alright, so i think im going to start painting it real soon, ive never really done a whole lot of mixing to make different shades
anyone have tips to making good "glowy" orange colors? like, obviously im going to use my blazing orange and sunfire yellow (i think thats what its called) ive got blood red too but should i use it?

aaaass forr painting, should i just throw down a layer of orange, put some yellow on top, then add white? or should i try gradients?  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:30 am
Neogoth666
alright, so i think im going to start painting it real soon, ive never really done a whole lot of mixing to make different shades
anyone have tips to making good "glowy" orange colors? like, obviously im going to use my blazing orange and sunfire yellow (i think thats what its called) ive got blood red too but should i use it?

aaaass forr painting, should i just throw down a layer of orange, put some yellow on top, then add white? or should i try gradients?
You want white as the -bottom- coat. Apply gradually darker colors (yellow, then orange) on top of it with a technique similar to dry-brushing, except with much -less- paint, so that the layering comes out evenly, smoothly. That way, when you're done, you'll have some spots that are darker and some that are lighter, but they blend together well in appearance, without visible paintstrokes.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

RevlinHeartsblood

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:06 pm
alright thanks, im probably going to start on it soon, ive got 2 or 3 small projects i want to finish first, then ill probably take a pic of it and upload it here when im done, or under my collab thread  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:42 am
http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6410

Step-by-step guide for lava bases.  

Shinobi_8745

RevlinHeartsblood

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:03 am
Shinobi_8745
http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6410

Step-by-step guide for lava bases.

wow, thats cool
thanks
buuut, im already done the rock, looks pretty good. i just gotta finish up the dragon then ill take some pictures and post em  
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games