Night Goblin Shredder
View Results

Darkweaver66

6,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:57 am
wow, 1st update in a long time... probably the 1st update of '09 for me.

anyway, my 1st army was the night goblins, and i still love them now, although i never had many (damned attention grabbing space marines)
well, i recently dug them out again, and found them all in disrepair... so, now that i have a job, and money, im gonna try to start the army up again. (yeah, back to fantasy for me!)

well, if you have chatted to me for long before, or seen my other threads, i always convert my models, and in a number of cases, create whole new units and rules (Codex: Mercs, for example) so when i found some random bits from my orcs, ogres, night goblins and empire stuff, i built this:

1:2:3:4:5:6:7

i built this because i don't like orcs (except black orcs) and i want a goblin army, not an orcs and goblins army, and goblins arn't exactly known for their strength OR firepower.I am still working on a name, so please vote at the top.

i know i shouldnt go into rules here, but the shaman in the 1st photo isn't just there for scale, he is also a needed part to field the golem/shredder. as his magic is the link between the lever in the pilots hatch (under the cannon) and the saws, legs and arms (as there are no workings there)

so, what do you guys think? and what is the best way to paint lots of wood on a flat surface? (like the pieces of sprue)  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:50 am

The model is pretty slick, though I'd suggest to add some kind of inner mechanisms to the legs. I know it's supposed to be magically propelled or something, but it could still use some additional supports.

Also, I'm curious to see the rules on it. Is it meant to be a stand in for something else?

Caleidah

Eloquent Lunatic

Darkweaver66

6,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:36 am
i thought that since it is made by goblins, it wouldn't be hugely technologically advanced, hence the fact that the shaman powers it. (plus, it was made with the remains of my bitz box, and i don't have anything suitable for workings, although if you can think of some way to do it with sprue, then i could give it a shot)

rules-wise, i have no idea what it would stand in as. i just decided to create something with a bit of power to replace the non-existant orc mob. so i will probs work on some custom rules for it.

anywho, anyone got any ideas for painting wood onto a flat surface?  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:07 pm

Start with a flat color to show the primary color, and then use a really fine brush to add in the grain. What might work would be to take a scratch awl or a thin tipped knife to cut in grooves for the grain so that you can just use a wash to add in the grain.

Caleidah

Eloquent Lunatic

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:39 am
It might work as a stand-in for either a troll or snotling pump wagon, maybe a giant if stretching things.

I wouldn't bring it to regular games, they wouldn't let you/  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:12 pm

If the rules were adequately presented and modeled on for whatever it's supposed to be, I'd be cool with it.

Caleidah

Eloquent Lunatic

Darkweaver66

6,500 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:41 am
well, you know me and my custom models... although i think that the troll is the closest thing to my golem... so if i had to use it as a stand-in, i guess thats what i would choose, thanks blodwynn!

as to painting, i dont think i would be able to maintain a steady hand throughout the model for painting grain, im a converted, not a painter after all. i have to spend days painting my best stuff. but i remember a friend of mine who painted a defiler in what looked like wood, if i remember right, it was done with a bleched bone basecoat, and a dark brown wash. so i might see if i can get ahold of him and see what he says... and maybe get a photo next time i see him.  
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games