Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
I eat more fruits than vegetables ... Is that okay?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Pink Rain Today

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:47 pm
User Image

On an average day, I'll have four or more servings of fruits- grapes, a red grapefruit, an apple, strawberries, blackberries, whatever we have on hand.

I might have edamame and some steamed corn/peas/green beans.

Is that okay?
All kinds of websites and people are telling me that I have my ratio backwards, but I prefer fruits and they're much tastier raw, as opposed to veggies.

I detest carrots and celery. When I was on my anorexic-like phase, s'all I really ate.

"If your stomach feels weak my work here is DONE."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:50 pm
Fruit is better not eating fruit. So don't worry about it. I'd *try* to include more vegetables, but you're not doing anything wrong. It's just that fruits contain on average, less fiber, and much more sugar than vegetables, however, if you look at carrots which is what everyone thinks of when they think diet, they have tons of sugar in them perhaps not as much as fruits, but still a lot. It's all relative.

What don't you like about vegetables? Is it the bitterness on the outside? I'd try some organic veggies (well washed of course) I used to think that I hated celery until I realized it's the chemical taste I hate.  

Lady Schist

Starlurk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:16 am
I can't seem to find any vegetables to like. I like broccoli and cauliflower but only when sauce or cheese is involved.

Anytime I start to like a vegetable something about it drives me nuts, like baby spinach leaves, I LOVED those! But now they taste like rubber balloons to me. gonk  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:26 pm
Lady Schist
What don't you like about vegetables? Is it the bitterness on the outside? I'd try some organic veggies (well washed of course) I used to think that I hated celery until I realized it's the chemical taste I hate.

User Image

I'm going to Costco tonight to buy a load of healthy noms, so I'll try locating some good vegetables. :3

I detest tomatoes- I think the flavour is awful ... Kind of citrus but bitter. Mushrooms are earthy and the texture is horrid. Uhm. Lima beans are nasty and dry; in fact, the only beans I like are soy. All others make me vomit. Quite literally, as it were.

When I was a baby all I ate was mashed fruit. mad
I'm trying to not be picky.

"If your stomach feels weak my work here is DONE."

Pink Rain Today

Divash
Vice Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:03 am
I suggest a really good variety of vegetables, so that you don't get overexposed to anything enough to make you sick and tired of it.

I also suggest "sneaking" your vegetables into other things:

* Make zucchini bread, but double the amount of zucchini (the same recipe will work if you substitute pumpkin or squash for zucchini).

* When you make a meatloaf or any other dish involving ground meat, use half the ground meat, then mix it with an equal amount of ground mushrooms, zucchini, and onions -- it helps to have a food processor to grind up vegetables really well.

* Buy pasta sauce with something like "Garden Vegetable" or "Sweet Peppers" in the name, then use a stick blender to grind it up finely so you get the flavors but not the textures. Then put a bit more than usual on your pasta.

* When making pasta, get whole-grain noodles. Then substitute julienned/French-cut green beans for about 1/3 of the bulk of noodles, and put on extra pasta sauce.

* If you make cornbread, toss in some jalapen~os and a can of niblet or creamed corn, and maybe a can of diced tomatoes (Ro-Tel tomatoes are good, I hear).

* Corn, beans, and peas (and according to some diet plans, onions and carrots) are too starchy to count as proper vegetables. However, they are a great substitute for rice, corn, potatoes, and pastas, and especially breads. Have a side of corn instead of potatoes; a side of peas instead of pasta; beans instead of rice. Not all the time, but about half of the time. The other half of the time, go for whole grains, brown rice, and potatoes with the skins on.

* Try one new vegetable each week that you haven't had before. If you've had everything in the store at least once, try the thing you haven't had for the longest amount of time. Tastes change over time. I used to detest mushrooms, until I was about twenty. Then I fell in love with them. This past year, I ate some and decided I hated them again. But I know I'm going to make them about once a year anyway, because they're healthy, and because I know if I don't, I may never find out when my tastes change and I like them again.

* In the end, we are responsible for our own health. I don't adore brushing my teeth, and sometimes I gag several times while doing it, but I know that brushing is the way to keep my teeth, so I do it. Eating your vegetables may not be pleasant all the time, but it's the route to a healthy weight, glowing skin, and good energy, so do it.  
Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games