Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
The Unuttered Myth

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:16 pm
Jungian psychology, symbolism and the comments that Campbell offered have become part of popular culture- they have become an unuttered myth that has reversed engineered spiritual metaphor.

Like the ebb and flow of the tide, this cool ocean of symbols and meanings washes back onto the shore, providing new understandings and acting as a spring board for new religions.

Where has the Silent Myth touched your life? Was it for better or worse?  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:28 pm
TeaDidikai
Jungian psychology, symbolism and the comments that Campbell offered have become part of popular culture- they have become an unuttered myth that has reversed engineered spiritual metaphor.

Like the ebb and flow of the tide, this cool ocean of symbols and meanings washes back onto the shore, providing new understandings and acting as a spring board for new religions.

Where has the Silent Myth touched your life? Was it for better or worse?
Well, what I know of Jung's work has touched my life. It influenced a lot of my spirituality, and it gave me this sense that most anything can have meaning and importance (whether it's actually there or not).

What is the Silent Myth by the by?  

Gho the Girl

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:10 pm
Gho the Girl
It's a term I coined to deal with this subtle, almost unconscious understanding of myth and metaphor as a psychological tool, and how that has been redirected at our culture.

For example, the colors we use when we dress have cultural meaning. As do patterns. At one time, these meanings would have been ingrained through oral myth traditions. We don't have that in the same way we did before the industrial revolution. Now we have cinematography that uses a lot of these popular symbols in very thoughtful ways- but it's not myth generating symbols, it's symbols generating "myth".

It's pervasive. It's become part of our every day language and thoughts.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:20 pm
TeaDidikai
Gho the Girl
It's a term I coined to deal with this subtle, almost unconscious understanding of myth and metaphor as a psychological tool, and how that has been redirected at our culture.

For example, the colors we use when we dress have cultural meaning. As do patterns. At one time, these meanings would have been ingrained through oral myth traditions. We don't have that in the same way we did before the industrial revolution. Now we have cinematography that uses a lot of these popular symbols in very thoughtful ways- but it's not myth generating symbols, it's symbols generating "myth".

It's pervasive. It's become part of our every day language and thoughts.
I see.  

Gho the Girl

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:50 am
Gee, no one else? gonk I like this thread.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:01 am
Gho the Girl
Gee, no one else? gonk I like this thread.
All in good time.  

TeaDidikai

TatteredAngel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:22 am
I had no idea how to talk about my spiritual interaction with the world until I started exploring Jung and Campbell and the symbolic. That said, I still have plenty of reading to do.

My syncretism leads me around to heavy use of archetypes and symbols, so the psychology of symbolism and mythmaking is very important to me.

So much of what is important to me boils down to telling a story. The more I understand in terms of our ancient and modern myths, our symbols and our ability to weave patterns, the better I can tell a story. Storytelling, in various forms, is hands-down the most magical thing that I do.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:02 pm
TatteredAngel
Storytelling, in various forms, is hands-down the most magical thing that I do.
I can see that.

It's a fine line to tread, because on the one hand there's an appreciation for shared experience. Even when I talk with Cu about our traditions, we often make analogies between are two very different paths because we share experiences and perspectives.

This is where it can get messy- someone not paying attention will shift subtly from simile to metaphor.  

TeaDidikai

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff