Reply Thread Archive {Hot topics}
The truth behind other faiths. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

KraylorDePanthro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:04 pm
Perhaps what could have been meant, about the West, is that originally at least many of the founding fathers were big Christianity types. And many of the pilgrims were some form of Christians, The Puritans for example.
America is where LDS was formed, or reformed as the case may be.

According to LDS thought,
All people have the light of Christ within them. Not all have the holy spirit with them always. Back in the pre-existence, God had many spirit children.
Jesus was the Eldest Brother. Lucifer was also there.
Both of them declared a way, Lucifer wished to not have free will for mankind, but to have them follow him, and he would bring all of them home to God not losing one, in exchange for the Glory to be his. Jesus wanted mankind to have free will, he would go himself and be an example to mankind and they would choose to return to heavenly father or not as they wished and the Glory be to God.
those who followed Lucifer when he was angry that Jesus's path was chosen by God, and himself, after losing the war, left, not able to get physical bodies.
Those who followed Jesus came to earth, as a chance to be more like God, and get a body and eventually return to him, and achieve celestial glory through their love and obedience to Jesus. Earth is our proving ground, all of us who are on earth in physical bodies chose to follow Jesus in the pre-existence, we just have to learn again the lessons and choose for ourselves to follow him and obey him and Heavenly Father. Lucifer and the sons of perdition and those who chose to follow him still seek to gain followers, for whatever nefarious purpose. We are to seek out whatever is good and wholesome and virtuous. All mankind has the privilege of worshiping who what and where they may. The other churches may contain truth, not nec. the whole truth.

The idea of the elephant comes to mind in general, the blind monks each grab a part of the elephant and describe it, each saying a true thing but not the whole thing.

What is truth? Pontiate Pilot asks us. Perhaps one day we shall know, hopefully not too late. wink  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:40 am
Thank you for using the Jain story of the blind monks and the elephants. I was about to use it too!  

freelance lover
Crew

KraylorDePanthro

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:59 pm
Welcome. biggrin  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:38 pm
freelance lover
Thank you for using the Jain story of the blind monks and the elephants. I was about to use it too!

The irony is that not one of the people who grab the different parts of the elephant ever considers the possibility that they are not even holding part of an elephant at all.  

Priestley

freelance lover
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:28 pm
Priestley
freelance lover

The irony is that not one of the people who grab the different parts of the elephant ever considers the possibility that they are not even holding part of an elephant at all.

So what does that say about God then?  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:05 pm
So, at the dollar store where I work, we have these little garden statuettes, and some of them have Bible verses on them. While recovering the store one afternoon, I passed by one that really struck me as regards this discussion:

Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God. ~ Matthew 5:8

I just thought it was rather interesting. It makes me think of people like Ghandi, Mother Teresa, and others like them.

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

Priestley

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:36 pm
freelance lover
Priestley
freelance lover

So what does that say about God then?

Well, the story itself was never originally about a deity or deities but was a lesson on the relativity of individuals' perspectives. It was later used in a religious context, in some cases that they were told beforehand and/or afterwards that it was an elephant.

In which case, it's important to question whether what one is told is actually the truth.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:27 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
So, at the dollar store where I work, we have these little garden statuettes, and some of them have Bible verses on them. While recovering the store one afternoon, I passed by one that really struck me as regards this discussion:

I just thought it was rather interesting. It makes me think of people like Ghandi, Mother Teresa, and others like them.

Exactly, especially with Ghandi. I just can't believe that the loving God I know would send someone like Ghandi to hell simply because he didn't believe in Jesus in the way Christians do.  

freelance lover
Crew

Priestley

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:14 pm
freelance lover
Fushigi na Butterfly

Exactly, especially with Ghandi. I just can't believe that the loving God I know would send someone like Ghandi to hell simply because he didn't believe in Jesus in the way Christians do.

By 'Hell', do you mean ultimate destruction or eternal torment?  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:19 am
Priestley
freelance lover
Fushigi na Butterfly

That's a good question. To be honest, I've never given much thought into what any kind of afterlife might actually be like. I've just always had faith God would take care of me after my death, and left it like that. I'm very Methodist in my theology, in a lot of ways. I believe that walking with God will give me a more fulfilled life. There's not a whole lot of focus on the afterlife.

I suppose I mean... hell. Whatever that hell may be.

freelance lover
Crew

Priestley

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:46 pm
freelance lover
Priestley
freelance lover
Fushigi na Butterfly

That's a good question. To be honest, I've never given much thought into what any kind of afterlife might actually be like. I've just always had faith God would take care of me after my death, and left it like that. I'm very Methodist in my theology, in a lot of ways. I believe that walking with God will give me a more fulfilled life. There's not a whole lot of focus on the afterlife.

I was just curious. Whatever happens to me, I can be sure that I won't be suffering eternal torment. I imagine that is the same for anyone, whether Ghandi or your average serial killer.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:01 pm
Priestley
freelance lover
Priestley
freelance lover
Fushigi na Butterfly

I was just curious. Whatever happens to me, I can be sure that I won't be suffering eternal torment. I imagine that is the same for anyone, whether Ghandi or your average serial killer.

I think it would be the deepest hypocrisy for an all-loving, all-forgiving Father to create an oubliette of eternal torment to contain inconvenient souls. But, of course, that's just my flawed human morality speaking.  

Galad Aglaron

freelance lover
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:56 am
Galad Damodred
Priestley
freelance lover
Priestley
freelance lover
Fushigi na Butterfly

I think it would be the deepest hypocrisy for an all-loving, all-forgiving Father to create an oubliette of eternal torment to contain inconvenient souls. But, of course, that's just my flawed human morality speaking.

I kind of ascribe to the belief that hell is where people go who reject God. They don't want Him in their lives, so obliges and sends them somewhere where he is not present. That's always how I've kind of viewed it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 2:08 pm
freelance lover
Galad Damodred
Priestley
freelance lover
Priestley

I kind of ascribe to the belief that hell is where people go who reject God. They don't want Him in their lives, so obliges and sends them somewhere where he is not present. That's always how I've kind of viewed it.

It really depends on how you view God: whether His character in your mind is how you would like Him to be or how He is presented in Scripture. Specifically, whether His love and His hate are equal in size/duration/permanence, or whether one is greater in size/duration/permanance than the other.

The idea of a loving God fits with the Old Testament ideas of fire being a method of permanent destruction rather than eternal suffering, and Gehenna (figurative image of the Valley of Hinnom outside Jerusalem) not being a place of eternal torment but of the destruction of unclean things like trash, excrement, dead bodies of criminals, etc. Rather than receiving life eternal, it is the opposite in both duration of time (final) and existence (death).

This is more of an annihilationist view.

Priestley

Thread Archive {Hot topics}

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces