Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
The Occult?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What's this Poll doing here?
  Why are you asking me?
  Good question
  To Screw with us?
  Whatever it's doing, it's freaking me out.
  DB, you neeed to get a real sense of humor. Like, one that's funny?
  I refuse to pick any of your options.
View Results

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:50 pm
I hear this word thrown around alot, by people who study it, by people who have no idea what it is (most preachers) and those who exploit it for sensationalism (American media).

My question to you dear pagan brothers, sisters, and non-cisgendered kin, what exactly is The Occult?

Is it a group of faiths? Is it an Umbrella term for certain ideas? What makes something Occult as opposed to any other thing?  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:14 am
My understanding of occult has been that it ment hidden. Hidden knowledge, hidden disease. So from that I always thought that Occult also ment something that you look for. It isn't something available to the general populace, and shouldn't be. I consider the Wiccan mysteries to be occult, because they are a knowledge that is only available to those who have proven that they are capable of knowing those mysteries.

*Everyone feel free to rip my post to shreds. I do not claim good knowledge on this subject, and really don't mean to come off that way. In this post I am only offering opinion. If I am wrong I welcome correction.  

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

RubyLight

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:32 pm
The dictionary definition of occult is indeed "hidden". However, the term has been used to describe other things. The things I've heard as described as "occult" are paganism, magic, divination, hauntngs, astral beings, psychic activity, societies dealing with anything previously mentioned, ect. An "occultist" is supposedly someone who studies things considered occult. Then there are the various "occult" practioners (what mainstream society calls them anyway) who practice any of the above mentioned.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:25 pm
I use the term to refer to specific types of esoteric study, those that are either by nature or design hidden from society.
Thus, I am not an occultist. I do not study the occult any more.
Those who practice mystery traditions, though, would be.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Tsuzuki

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:08 am
Occultism is an excuse to be pretentious, which I enjoy taking advantage of.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:52 pm
Occult, as has been said before, means hidden.
Ironic that the Occult section of many bookstores is clearly labeled and easy to find.
So I would tend to say, anything that claims to be occult, publicly and well known, is not.
See also Occluded.  

Fiddlers Green

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:04 pm
Read the Magus.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:06 pm
CuAnnan