Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

vegito61283

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:06 pm
Steel Sterling

The problem with "Enterprise"-and I saw it coming before the series began-
is that Rick Berman decided that CONTINUITY wasn't going to matter a lot.
So, he decided the dedicated fans wouldn't COUNT.

That's how the show got confusing.
You go in knowing that the NCC 1701 Enterprise and her sister ships of
the Constitution class were the first Federation ships to get phasers.
In fact, the USS Hood was THE first to get retro-fitted. Then Berman
says "nuts to that" and moves their invention back 200 years.
Of course, now there's been nearly 200 years of stagnation between all
the inventions-now backdated to Enterprise- and TNG, with the exceptions
of experiments. (The transwarp drive, the phased cloak, better torpedoes.)

Here is something that a lot of people dont understand about this. It is also something that only a few or the writers explained. When they did this show, at first they tried to be as loyal to the series as they could, but they wanted to show that there were impacts to the timeline that were changed due to temporal involvement as well as other time travel problems.

For instance, never in the other series was there any mention of a Temporal War. That could explain a lot. It could also mean that those time lines were not corrupted and that the original corruption came from those time lines.

Another example is there was never any, and I repeat never any mention of anything wrong with the first flight of the Pheonix. In this series, it takes that into consequence as well. My example of that is the episode "Regeneration".

I could keep giving you examples if you want.

So when you are watching this you have to take into consideration that Star Trek deals with time travel and the effects of what happens with chronological changes.

One other thing was that they also had to take into consideration , which Gene Rodenberry did when he made the jump to TNG, was the technologcial advance we as a people in real life have achieved. Dont know how many of you knew, but he actually talked with some scientist from NASA for all of this technology because he wanted to make sure that what he put in his shows was really possible. For example, we do have for military experiments phase technologies (very crude models and theories), and have made the jump to actual cloaking technology with the military applications soon to be applied in the US military over the next couple of years. That cloaking technology is actually not a joke either. British and American scientists have actually come up with a material, a cloak if you will, that actually bends light.

You have to take all of this into consideration when judging any of the series. So Enterprise was not all that bad in context. It was better than DS9 when you have to take it into the big picture.

I am thinking of starting a thread that compares Star Trek technologies with real life technologies along with trying to apply them to the respective series. If anyone is interested, please PM me so I know there is actual interest.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 12:34 am
I find the "something interfered and changed everything we knew"
excuse to be just that- an excuse to justify throwing out the continuity.
This is one of many mediums to pull that old saw out.

Scientists haven't invented a "cloak", a device that "bends light."
They invented a substance that has many, many micropits and microfissures
in it, so energy hitting hit doesn't bounce straight back to its source.
To radar, it would not exist. To vision, it would appear black.

I find far too much was LAZINESS.
The most obvious example- they took an Akira-class ship, flipped it upside
down, and said "this is the old Enterprise".
They left everything in place, including parts that made NO sense to have
on the Enterprise, but were part of the Akira.

Rick Berman decided, BEFORE THE SERIES BEGAN, that continuity wouldn't
matter. Answers afterwards are there to justify his decision, not to explain
it.  

Steel Sterling
Captain

Brilliant Saint

18,265 Points
  • Battle: Mage 100
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Team Jacob 100

Treklink256

Animated Collector

29,200 Points
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Nerd 50
PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:28 pm
Steel Sterling
For those who saw Nemesis once and forgot it,
this is actually a pretty effective refresher...

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Nemesis/Pictorial-1.html
Wow, thanks for posting that XP  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:01 am
I'd have to say when you thought Janeway died was one of the saddest moments for me. I adore the character of Janeway and to think that the Cpatain was killed was hard for me, especially with how Commander Chakotay reacted.  

chayar1991

Nerthus_water_nymph

5,900 Points
  • Team Edward 100
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:21 pm
I'd have to say especially the end of the Generation movie where Kirk dies. I mean they had to go back to the time right before Picard went into the Nexus, they could've gone to any place in time, but they chose that time to come back, Picard could've even went back in time to save his family who he had been mopeing about the whole movie. I guess the writers had to have a viable way for Kirk to pass the enterprise over to Picard with his death because you know that he would find a way to remain the captain of the enterprise untill he died from a mission or from old age, though I doubt that genetics would've gone far enough even during their time frame to keep kirk alive 78 more years to even try and take the enterprise from Picard  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:27 pm
The Dumbest Moment in Trek is in the episode "Bread and Circuses", where they speak to a Character who is a participant in Gladiatorial games who refuses to fight, because he's found religion. He keeps talking about "The Sun".

At the end, they reveal he was actually talking about "The Son" as in "Christ"n Because Christianity was accidentally left on that planet and was starting to make it's way.

And I'm thinking.... WHAT? This is Campy even by TOS standards. Look, I am not the one to cringe at a Christ Paralell or religious themes. As long as they aren't Frickin stupid.

The other dumbest moment? Space Jack the Ripper.

Yeah. Everyone likes to remember City on the Edge of Forever or Balance of Terror. Nobody wants to even consider the fact that they fought Space Jack the Ripper, made even more idiotic by the fact that he is played by The Voice of Piglet.

79 episodes, about 20 good ones....  

Matt Pniewski

Boldly Go - A Star Trek Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas