Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Sheji's Art Thread; UPDATED: 06.26.09

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

mascarpone pudding

Conservative Millionaire

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 5:38 am

Welcome one and all to my art thread~

My name is Lee :]
Well it was said that we should maybe write a bit about ourselves, so here it goes;

I go by my middle name, I'm 17, I've always been a trouble-maker.
My favorite color is teal, I have two pet chihuahuas, I've been watching Sailor Moon since I was 6.
I hate salad dressings, or any kinds of condiments. I am told I can be rather obnoxious.

Art wise;
I've been drawing since I was 9 after I saw an episode of Inuyasha, before that, I didn't really get art or understand it.
When I was a Sophomore, my art teacher told me I sucked so badly that my drawings cried after I finished them- she made it hard for me to draw after that.
I've only taken 3 1/2 years of art in school, and everything else is self taught.
I have trouble with backgrounds and bending my anatomy to fit my style.

My favorite artistic quote is; "It is not the medium that makes the art, but the artist that makes the art"

My pros and cons

I have trouble with:
Backgrounds.
Some anatomy.
Inking.
Animals.

I am good at;
Finding colors and mood.
General expression.
Showing what I'm trying to say.

I am willing to do:

Whatever types of practices are given to me.

I am not willing to do:

Change my coloring style and or the way I draw faces.
My only exception is that when I am asked to practice drawing a realistic face for just the sake of learning, I will.
But other than that, I draw the way I do because it makes me happy.

My styles

Updated
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Sketch :3

User Image
Cute anime mouse. :3
PERSPECTIVE WORKING ON! SEE?
: D

User Image
Perspective sketch ;D
<3

User Image
2 DAYS OF HARD WORK.
pleasedon'tcallmebymyfirstname ):<

Old;
User Image
My full body type.
How I draw now.

User Image
Headshot.
I color differently, I know.
O:
DX

Thank you everyone who has read :]
PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:36 am

I see that you're not afraid to try perspective. That's great.

Here's a tip for keeping anatomy in perspective. Make a bounding box around your figure. This helps you keep your alignment in mind and could help problems like how the breasts aren't drawn to the same alignment as the rest of the body.

Errol McGillivray
Captain

iJigyakuteki_Cookie

4,500 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Window Shopper 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:43 pm

Errol McGillivray
I see that you're not afraid to try perspective. That's great.

Here's a tip for keeping anatomy in perspective. Make a bounding box around your figure. This helps you keep your alignment in mind and could help problems like how the breasts aren't drawn to the same alignment as the rest of the body.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

He stole my idea. sad But yes! Guidelines like boxes n stuffs help. They make the figure of my work before the work comes to life. lol. Some anatomy problems, yes. like on the 1st picture posted, the jawline seems lower than it supposed to be. Otherwise, it seems fine. You're coloring style is nothing anyone could change just because they say so. I myself sat stick to it because it gives you're work it's uniqueness. There's one thing I have to point out about the faces [I know you don't want to change them] is... If you think of it, not everyone has the same faces [except twins]. They style of the faces fit the characters well, but the way it seems is that the characters have the same faces. There are ways to change faces without changing the loving lashes you put on them. heart Men have different faces than women, usually more defined and sharper angles [unless he's extremely feminine]. There are exceptions to things like this but it all depends on how his body works with it. Experimenting with that should help. Just think of how a character's face is what a person remembers them by, especially they eyes, and right now, you can only tell the difference by the eye color, which would throw someone off if two had the same eye color.

Hope I helped! biggrin
PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:13 pm

Errol;
Why thank you smile
I always think perspective puts things to life.

Neko;
That was very helpful!
Thank you very much : )
I'll have to work on a lot of things, but time spent drawing is never wasted <3

mascarpone pudding

Conservative Millionaire

Folken_Schezar
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:11 am

great stuff i really like the way you colored the hair in the 2nd piece. you may color differently but it works for you and that's all that matters

as for the bounding box thing i would like to push that idea a little further and recommend you use skeletal landmarks with the bounding box that way its like an easy to follow map to figure drawing ^_^
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:38 am

Folken;
What's a skeletal landmark?
o.o

Why thank you : )

mascarpone pudding

Conservative Millionaire

Folken_Schezar
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:26 pm

oh hahaha it was like 4 am when i posted and i forgot not everyone uses that terminology.

a skeletal landmark is like a spot on the body where the bone kinda sticks out. the pelvis is one of the best places to start learning. the ASIS*(trying not to get technical but those are the pointy hip bones that you can feel under you skin where your tummy starts to kinda become your groin and legs) the reason using muscular landmark a tend to be avoided when possible is because they can change too easily. either by flexing or just moving different parts of the body. also joints are used, the clavicle, the sternum and xiphoid process are common landmarks

i know i'm throwing a lot of information and technical terms at ya so if anything is confusing let me know

*ASIS is the acronym for Anterior superior iliac spine if you were wondering
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:19 pm

Oooh alright, I understand now. Thank you smile

mascarpone pudding

Conservative Millionaire

Folken_Schezar
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:45 pm

i like the new drawing

but she is too stiff in the shoulders and the arm. the hand when relaxed falls below the crotch. so when drawing the grabbing the junk pose the arm should have a slight bend to it. that should fix the stiffness in the shoulders as well.

she looks as if shes bending backwards slightly. i think it was you trying to add the perspective of a lower camera angle right? if so it might be alittle too late to fix now.

also i wouldn't go as far to say that its socially acceptable for either boy or girls to grab their junk and say suck it per say. its just more frowned upon for girls
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:12 am

Why thank you Folken smile

Ahh, so which way should the arm bend? To relax the shoulders should I widen and lower them a bit?

Yes I was trying to add perspective like that, but it didn't work out to well D:

LOL I guess.
You should really come visit my neighborhood ;D
Hahah.

mascarpone pudding

Conservative Millionaire

Folken_Schezar
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:15 am

as for the arm it should bend out. not by too much it should be an obtuse angel. remember that you have to reach up to grab your crotch

as for the shoulder i think moving it back alittle should do the trick

haha i don't think i live close to you.... for some reason i think you live in FL. i for certain live in CA
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:23 am

LOL I SHOULD KNOW ABOUT CROTCH GRABBING.
You can smack me at any time haha.
I was just messing.
>w<

I will try and red line it and show you it then? : )

I ENVY YOU.
AND I WISH.

I live in Illinois.
) :

mascarpone pudding

Conservative Millionaire

Taelune

Familiar Gaian

5,800 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:34 am

Your art looks swell, just one question, did you mean to color your stuff in high contrast? I was just wondering, I never saw your old stuff 'cause I'm new here.

It just is really bright...
The anatomy is excellent! I love the shading detail as well.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:27 pm

Why thank you Raeyu : )

Yes, I find it hard to not shade with dramatic contrast.
I sometimes shade with blues and yellows and oranges and crap instead of like, brown gonk

The anime mouse girl was actually my attempt at simple shading.
LOL WE SEE HOW FAR THAT WENT.

But yeah, its the way I color and I wouldn't have it any other way : )

mascarpone pudding

Conservative Millionaire

Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces