Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
Food Temptations. Help!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sell Out Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:05 pm
So, I am going to try and write this in as few words as possible, so that you aren't reading a million bazillion paragraphs.

My Dad's girlfriend just moved in, and so did her kids. Unfortunately, they are wonderfully skinny unlike I. And they seem to have a much larger and much more unhealthy lifestyle than I. When they moved in, all of the fattie foods moved with them. I have chips, cookies, ice cream, skittles, donuts, and many more treats lying within the sugary abyss of my kitchen.

It's tempting. What should I do!!!!!!????? I have lost 3 pounds on my diet thus far, and that is a lot for me. I don't want to go back. HELP!  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:19 pm
Try talking to your dad and his girlfriend at the same time about this.

Don't suggest that they keep the food out of the house, although ideally they would. Ask if perhaps they could hide the food from you?

When talking to them don't mention wanting to lose weight. Instead tell them that you're easily tempted by the sugary goodness but you're trying to create a healthier lifestyle for yourself.

I've noticed people, especially family members, tend to not be supportive when it comes to helping another family member lose weight. But when it comes to developing a healthy lifestyle, that seems to gain more respect from other family members.  

Starlurk

Sell Out Kid

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:49 pm
Starlurk
Try talking to your dad and his girlfriend at the same time about this.

Don't suggest that they keep the food out of the house, although ideally they would. Ask if perhaps they could hide the food from you?

When talking to them don't mention wanting to lose weight. Instead tell them that you're easily tempted by the sugary goodness but you're trying to create a healthier lifestyle for yourself.

I've noticed people, especially family members, tend to not be supportive when it comes to helping another family member lose weight. But when it comes to developing a healthy lifestyle, that seems to gain more respect from other family members.

I know what you mean. When it comes to 'getting thin' they don't take me seriously. I think that'll work. I went upstairs and had an apple to cure my hungering lust for the cookies. XD Ice cream, ughghghghghg.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:31 pm
oooo that stinks D: You can try drinking more water to get you full faster. Or you can get those rice cake snacks that taste like apple cinnamon or somethin. I know what you're going through

My sister is a chef and she's in a baking course and every other day she brings home these gorgeous cakes and goodies. At first I couldn't keep my hands off them but now it's like...I look at the stuff and I dont really care for it. Which is a very good thing XD. My friends are all "WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU? IT'S CAKE! WHO DOESN'T LOVE CAKE?!"  

Volta

Starlurk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:42 pm
I did hear a story about a man who lost about 70lb by surrounding himself with the foods he always craves.

His theory was: He always wants what he can't have so if he always keeps those foods around he'll stop craving them.

It worked for him but I know it wouldn't work for me. whee  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:41 pm
When I'm feeling tempted and I can't get out of the house, I play a video game or watch something. Or hell read a book. Man I can read and have read one of those all days.  

Soi Tsuba

Lady Schist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:35 am
Yeah, I can think of a few ways to turn this into a good thing as well. The first being that having my room mate move in with all his junk food actually helped me loose my worship of it. I think it would be hard, but you can overcome this and them. Just don't be around when they're EATING it. Go to a different room, write in your journal.

The strategies I would employ for myself would be very bad. They're not good. Like. They'd make me unhappy.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:13 pm
Starlurk
I did hear a story about a man who lost about 70lb by surrounding himself with the foods he always craves.

His theory was: He always wants what he can't have so if he always keeps those foods around he'll stop craving them.

That actually makes sense to me. It's been about three days and I've actually been eating really well. I don't know what it is, but seeing them eat their Fruit by the foot's and stir the cup of sugar in their Kool Aid has made me grow to strongly dislike the idea of chowing down on these...

Maybe it will work in the long run?  

Sell Out Kid

__penguin__
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:08 pm
Try keeping healthy alternatives in the house. They have cookies? Get crackers. They have chips? Get pretzels. They have ice cream? Get frozen yogurt. I know exactly how you feel about other people keeping junk food in the house (my parents were terrible about that :XP smile but I was usually fine as long as there were healthy alternatives as well as the junk food.  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:15 am
I fell into ice creams grasp yesterday, but it wasn't at home because my mom won't buy the stuff. But I know how you feel. When we lived with my mom's ex all they ate was junk food. It was all over the house! I gained most of my current weight in the year+ that we lived there. I like penguin's idea about changing from eating a cookie to a cracker or something else. I think that could have helped me when I lived there.

Good luck finding the healthy alternatives in the house. You could always as your dad to make sure there are some things in the house that are good for you. My parents will take request for specific things if it's for health.  

Bright October Skies

6,450 Points
  • Friendly 100
  • Member 100
  • Signature Look 250

Stars in my Pocket
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:15 am
Sell Out Kid
Starlurk

That actually makes sense to me. It's been about three days and I've actually been eating really well. I don't know what it is, but seeing them eat their Fruit by the foot's and stir the cup of sugar in their Kool Aid has made me grow to strongly dislike the idea of chowing down on these...

Maybe it will work in the long run?

I really do hope it works for you! I'm a sucker for icecream so I bought a gallon and a half of it and chowed down, as did my family (it lasted 3 days). Then I bought another, had only a bowl (it lasted a week and a half) and I bought another and it's been in there for 3 weeks.
Maybe knowing that it's always there, the novelty of it will wear off.

Just remember that your body doesn't really want it? I don't know. ):

I hope everything works out!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:19 pm
User Image

Mother Unit keeps purchasing various cookies, chocolates, candies, donettes, cakes, and other sweets in addition to a huge litany of white breads and other gross things.

I kind of stare at her and feel repulsed enough to not consume them. Then again, I am easily bored by having the same delicious foods frequently, so. S'why I don't drink soda anymore. Or Monster.

God I was an addict.

"If your stomach feels weak my work here is DONE."

Pink Rain Today

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games