Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
a question and a half...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Indie_Marauder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:05 pm
I'm sure there have been endless answers posted previously, and perhaps I have not been devoted enough in my search, but I find myself slightly at my wit's end in trying to establish some reason.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what to do concerning cravings?

you know... those 3-in the morning-eating your stomach i taste so good-could be chinese or maybe a chocolate sundae type of cravings... :p

thanks!  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:10 pm
Drink water, distract yourself by doing something that keeps your mind occupied, allow yourself to give into cravings a little bit sometimes (so they're not super-powerful next time), eat something that's like what you're craving but healthier (candy = fruit, chips = crispy minis/low-fat crackers), etc.  

STATlC ECH0

Aeren
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:28 am
for sweet cravings try eating pickles. it sounds crazy but the salt does something to satiate that sweet craving. its worked for a lot of people i know.  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:18 pm
I made potato candy recently (easy to find recipes on the net)- I'm good all day, and I'm allowed a piece at the end of the day- it's so sweet that it fixes sweet cravings.

Or sometimes I make myself a sweet cup of tea. Not sure what a good substitute is if you don't like it.

As for savoury stuff, a little bit of cheese does it for me (must have been a mouse in a past life). ^^  

Fuzzykit

Aeren
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:32 am
i really find that mind of matter is important to. I really have to WANT To overcome the craving. I think its a mindset.. "I'm going to get past this craving" Otherwise no matter what I do I totally cave.  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:58 pm
Ive had alot of those cravings and what I do is I give my self pain to distract me from the food. lol jk

well I just try to do something else to and i try not to think of food  

hiroshi726
Crew

Divash
Vice Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2006 1:00 pm
All of this is great advice. I've found that three chocolate chips, eaten one at a time, will fix a chocolate craving. One half-cup of apple sauce will fix the generalized "I want something sweet right now" craving. For salt, celery -- they're naturally rich in sodium, AND they're a zero-calorie food, which means that they take as many calories to digest as you would gain by eating them. If I crave starchy foods, a half-cup of rice is usually perfect.

First, drink a big glass of water, plain tea or coffee, or something without sugar or fat in it (diet soda's fine, Crystal Lite is fine, but don't go for the milk). If that doesn't help, reach for a piece of fruit or a vegetable -- nobody ever got fat from eating apples or eggplant! If that's still not enough, have a VERY SMALL portion of the food you're craving, then set a timer for one hour. Don't eat anything else until that timer goes off. If you can, brush your teeth if you're satisfied/full, or when you've eaten what you've judged a healthy, responsible portion of your food. The taste of the toothpaste will disrupt your craving by giving you a different taste to focus on.

I find that it also helps if I keep in my wallet a picture of myself at my most attractive (which was not actually the time when I was thinnest), and I look at it every time I think of giving in to temptation. I think, "Will this cake taste as sweet as it will feel to see THIS in the mirror again? Will this pizza be as satisfying as the look on my relatives' face at the next family gathering?" That's usually more than enough to make me rethink an eating binge.

Above all else, write down everything you eat. Read it before every time you eat anything; it'll keep you honest. "If you bite it, write it."  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:19 am
that was really good advice Divash.

i saw this program on sky a while ago that said the best way to get rid of food cravings is to tap pressure points on the back of your hand and on your forehead. i've no clue if it works or not.

i've only ever had cravings for take away pizza so i'm quite good at resiting those cravings as i have no cash lol  

Miya12
Vice Captain

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games