Tax dollars to pay for abortions? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

The Amazing Ryuu
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:10 pm
Mmmm, I saw that article on Yahoo news a few days ago, and it looks very legit. He purposely signed that bill quietly, so that things just like the people in this threads are saying aren't thrown in his face. Planned Parenthood alone isn't affected. This is making sure that IF clinics like PP need money, they can get it. The bill isn't directing the flow of taxes, merely opening another avenue. And, as previously mentioned, almost all clinics who DO perform abortions try to convince the woman otherwise first. They tell her alternatives and people to talk to, and all the risks involved. And now he's trying to help all countries have that same sort of information. Family planning facilities also educate on safe sex and, gasp, abstinence. Bush was denying not only his own people, but those around the world access to more than just a service. Just as abstinence-only education doesn't lead to less babies, establishments that offer abortion as an option don't always USE that option. Information needs to be available to the public, because as much as I think most of this is common sense, a LOT of people still need to be told, and I'm sick of funding getting cut and voices silenced because someone doesn't like the content. I have a lot of respect for Obama is putting his name on this. It's something that most people will hear and hiss about, but once you get down to it, it's not all that bad, and really quite necessary.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:35 pm
Ryuu, Matt, thank you for sticking to the topic and explaining this more fully. That makes alot of sense, and see, I'm less outraged now. I hadn't thought of it that way. As long as these organizations (Planned Parenthood and so on) are actually educating women on their options and offering counseling and such, then yes, these programs should be supported. We're good now. xd  

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:38 pm
ryuu_chan
Mmmm, I saw that article on Yahoo news a few days ago, and it looks very legit. He purposely signed that bill quietly, so that things just like the people in this threads are saying aren't thrown in his face.

Again, it is not a bill. It is an executive order.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:22 am
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090123/pl_nm/us_obama_abortion;_ylt=A0KjqehrYIxJujoA5abZn414

there is a link to it.

As it stand they already get tax dollars but where restricted in how they could spend it and where. They have been using tax money as to my understanding of things for abortions here in the U.S.

As to the person who said they went down with Clinton and up with Bush. I have seen studies to show a continued decrease but I would like to see the ones that show that and will myself look for the ones that I saw previously. The ones I saw have shown a decline since the mid ninties not a recnt growth trend but instead a increased decrease. I would not be suprised though that as pro-life people thought they had a president on their side they would slack off.

I wonder with every issue that is so divisive that if the side that is fighting from the outside gets more gains because they feel they have more reason to fight and the others are like thats ok we got the president. Sorry that sounds more like a question on sociology.

As to the comment that abortion is not a sin, I fail to see how the killing of one who is that innocent should be considered ok and justifiable. I understand and wavier on the issue of capital punishment for similar reasons, but an infant or unborn is way more innocent than someone on death row but they have no advocate. Not to mention the mounting evidence of the unhealthiness of the practice both medically and mentally. Sorry I will stop there because I just read some more of the post and see this is not a thread of debate but information. I hope the site I linked helps.  

ClaranceSH

Xandris

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:59 am
zz1000zz
Again, it is not a bill. It is an executive order.

You're right. Thank you for correcting my error. smile  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:06 am
ClaranceSH
As to the comment that abortion is not a sin, I fail to see how the killing of one who is that innocent should be considered ok and justifiable.

I suppose I could make a topic on abortion?

ClarenceSH
Not to mention the mounting evidence of the unhealthiness of the practice both medically and mentally.

This simply does not exist.  

zz1000zz
Crew

ClaranceSH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:41 pm
You can find many a peer reviewed journal on the subject if you type it into a search engine.  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:48 pm
ClaranceSH
You can find many a peer reviewed journal on the subject if you type it into a search engine.

Unfortunately, the burden of proof is on you. That's just the way it is.  

Priestley

Priestley

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:50 pm
zz1000zz
ClaranceSH
As to the comment that abortion is not a sin, I fail to see how the killing of one who is that innocent should be considered ok and justifiable.

Another one? xd  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:56 pm
Priestley
zz1000zz
ClaranceSH

Another one? xd

This way I get to use a funny title though.  

zz1000zz
Crew

Fushigi na Butterfly

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:01 pm
zz1000zz
ClarenceSH
Not to mention the mounting evidence of the unhealthiness of the practice both medically and mentally.

I beg to differ, and I'm pretty sure the women who experience increased risks of breast cancer and who seek counseling after their abortions would agree with me, but this is a discussion for your actual abortion thread. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:48 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
zz1000zz
ClarenceSH

I beg to differ, and I'm pretty sure the women who experience increased risks of breast cancer and who seek counseling after their abortions would agree with me, but this is a discussion for your actual abortion thread. 3nodding

I think it may have been unclear what I meant. I was not meaning to imply there are no health risks to abortions. Rather, I would disagree with two things. One, the evidence is not "mounting." The risks of abortions have been understood for over two decades, and there has been no real change in this understanding over the last decade.

Also, agreeing there are health risks is not the same as calling the practice "unhealthy."  

zz1000zz
Crew

Fushigi na Butterfly

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:56 am
Oh, okay. I apologize for the misunderstanding then. I actually think the understanding of evidence about the risks of abortion has been a back and forth battle. At least, it would appear so by the women who go in thinking that abortion is as easy as getting a haircut, and don't realize that one: they are ending life (whether they feel it is a human life or not); and two: it's major surgery- their reproductive organs are being invaded by often sharp but mostly just weird implements in order to remove an initial "invader." It actually seems a little backwards to me. sweatdrop  
Thread Archive {Hot topics}

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff