Priestley
Fushigi na Butterfly
Priestley
Fushigi na Butterfly
Priestley
Fushigi na Butterfly
But why are curse words so much more effective at releasing anger than any other words? One day, I will know the answer to this. 3nodding

Didn't we just answer that?

It's to do with understanding meanings of words, how we identify those words and the emotional response from that identification. It's like if I said to you that we'd be going shopping, you'd get excited, right? biggrin

I mean the physiological reason why. What power does the f-bomb have over releasing whatever chemicals it releases that fiddlesticks or fuddyduddy doesn't? Your guess is good, but it's just a single hypothesis, and I have the feeling the answer isn't as simple as that.

Because it's socially more acceptable to say fiddlesticks and fuddyduddy. The risk of being socially shunned is lower, thus the physiological reward is reduced for getting away with saying it. Besides, fiddlesticks and fuddyduddy don't evoke the same imagery as the f-bomb, so it's expected that they don't have the same effect as the f-bomb on the imagination and expression of emotion.

-sigh- Well, we can't argue this anymore in here- we're getting off-topic. sweatdrop

Well, I could wheelydeal back to the definition of 'in vain'. If it indeed means 'without purpose', then surely curse words can't be 'in vain', because their purpose is to express feeling/emotion more accurately than a replacement word.

Oh, you. xd