Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unashamed - A Christian Discussion Guild

Back to Guilds

Tags: Christian, Discussion, Religion, Theology, Philosophy 

Reply Thread Archive {Hot topics}
The line between being a zealot and being over-zealous.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ixor Firebadger

Tenacious Wife

32,075 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:56 pm
The Bible encourages us to be zealous for God and, surely, zeal can be a very inspiring, encouraging and contagious thing. But is it always the way to be? Is there such a thing as too much and where does one draw the line? What effect can zeal have if it is misplaced or uncontrolled, even if the intent is good?

I think that too much can drive us to say things that are not carefully measured and that can damage a persons spirit just as much as it can inspire it. It's all well and good to be a zealot, it's even one thing to speak the ugly truth, but we must do it gently lest our message come across wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:41 pm
Equally, that control should extend to the people receiving the message so that, in their assessment of whether the message applies to them or not on a personal level, they do not overcompensate for that zeal by perceiving it as an attack and reacting aggressively to it.

On giving, there is a receiving as well, in that receiving is a seperate but linked act rather than simply the effect of having been given. Surely the receiver has a responsibility to act a certain way as does the giver.

Extending the discussion, not providing a contrary argument. smile

Priestley

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:06 am
Exactly, because no one tells you to feel a certain way. No one "makes" you feel angry/attacked/hurt/sad/insert emotion here. You allow yourself to feel that way by the other person's words. I think it's best to remove oneself from the negative energy of the tone and evaluate the words for their truth.

Look at David for example. He was so zealous he danced naked in the street and his wife thought he was being a little ridiculous. She was embarrassed by his display of worship, but how could David be expected to contain himself when he was so overflowed by the Spirit? If the Spirit commands we get up and be on fire for God in front of a crowd of people, and if we are to let the Spirit speak through us, who are we to censor His words or urgency?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:31 pm
Fushigi na Butterfly
Look at David for example. He was so zealous he danced naked in the street...

I did no such thing. talk2hand xd  

Priestley

Edith Puthie

Lunatic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:56 pm
Although I agree with what you said, God obviously wants us to stay in some control. If all of us where running around naked in the streets... not a lot would get done! I mean, I know we can't be reponsible for how others feel, but we have to realize that there is a possibility of offending someone.
Nor should we care about what others feel. But on the flipside of that, how can we help someone come close to God if we offended them?

Ah, it can be so complicated sometimes, that's why we need God. smile  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:46 pm
Even the idea of God is offensive to a lot of people. It's not possible to navigate around that effect, regardless of the spin you put on it.  

Priestley

Edith Puthie

Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:57 am
Priestley
Even the idea of God is offensive to a lot of people. It's not possible to navigate around that effect, regardless of the spin you put on it.
Which brings us back to the point of saying "we cant control what people find offensive". :/

PEOPLE NEED TO LIGHTEN UP D<
lol. <3  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:30 pm
And that's kinda my point. Their has to be some balance. We can't censor the message, but we can choose our words and methods of sending it carefully. After that, yes, it is up to the reciever of the message. But the process starts with the zealot.  

Ixor Firebadger

Tenacious Wife

32,075 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Nudist Colony 200

Samsoonie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:24 pm
wow.. i am so korean... when i saw zealot the first thing i thought of was.. starcraft D:  
Thread Archive {Hot topics}

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games