Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
Sexual Identity and Obesity

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Grip of Death
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 8:35 pm
Having a sexual identity and being obese are pretty touchy issues. Understandably, although very superficially, many guys I've noticed do not like to date heavier girls. As touchy as it is, I still feel it's important to acknowledge and address. To stuff these feelings away isn't going to solve the problem- nor any problem. Here I have an article to share. I found it brought new insights to me.

Quote:
http://www.ediets.com/news/article.cfm/cmi_860889

By SALISBURY, Robyn

January 11, 2005 Pages(3): 1 | 2 | 3 | Next Page >

"It's cruel to write an article about fat at this time of year when many feel sensitive about the results of their festive indulgences.

HOWEVER, while I was waiting at the airport recently an enormously overweight woman sitting in front of me triggered some thoughts on the role fat can play for us.

First were concerns about how she was ever going to fit into a tiny aeroplane seat and, I have to admit, some selfish concerns that she might be placed next to me! Then my reflections moved on to the role sexuality plays in obesity.

Being heavily overweight can signal many things, from a simple case of bad habits to deep psychological issues.

One of the latter causes not often articulated and explored with obese people, is the urge to hide a sexual self beneath a layer of fat. That's not to suggest that people of any size can't be sexy in their own and others' eyes because of course they can.

However, sex therapists often discover as they explore their clients' feelings about being sexual, an inner fear that has been responded to with overeating. This may have been a conscious decision or may be something of which the individual is totally unaware.

For some, the transition from asexual child to sexual adolescent and adult has not been managed well. It can be difficult for parents to know what kind of information to give their children and when (a good subject for a future column).

This part of life education is often left until early adolescence; a phase of life when young people are often not open to parental input, especially on such an embarrassing topic.

Schools do tackle issues of sexuality now, there are lots of books available and television and film spill over with the topic.

However, the messages given -- particularly in the latter medium - - may not be conducive to the delicate task of discovering and learning to enjoy, be comfortable with and proud of one's sexuality.

Even for those who receive optimal education and support, critical incidents can occur at any stage of life that leave the individual uncomfortable with or actively hating their sexual self. These can be as extreme as molestation or rape, may involve being looked at in the shower by a family member or simply inappropriate comments about teenage breast or genital development.

Regardless of gender, body shape alters dramatically as puberty arrives and young people need lots of appropriate positive feedback and support to own and enjoy their changing body. It's very important for family members to avoid critical or joking comments that can only enhance discomfort or awkwardness. The surging hormones accompanying the changes also take lots of learning for young people to be able to handle.

Anyone struggling with these adjustments has available to them various substances that can comfort, numb, distract. Alcohol, drugs and food all offer temporarily effective yet ultimately destructive ways of distancing oneself from this troublesome body, its sexual feelings and the emotions it houses.

When substance abuse results in weight gain only a few will consciously welcome that as a way of reducing unwanted sexual attention or feelings. There's so much social pressure to be slim that anyone carrying extra weight will often also carry a sense of shame.

When a therapist asks the question "What might you be gaining by placing this layer of fat around your body?", the initial response is often incredulity.

"You've got to be joking, there's NOTHING positive in being fat."

Spending some time reconsidering this response is an important beginning. Susie Orbach, internationally renowned psychotherapist in the field of eating disorders has developed fantasy exercises that can help people visualise themselves in different situations as ways to identify the meaning and purpose of their protective layer.

Those interested to explore the possibility of issues of sexuality being a contributing factor to their weight problem can do some of this on their own.

In a quiet space with closed eyes, imagine being at the current weight, dressed to go to a social event. Picture entering the room, notice any feelings and notice other people's responses. Fast forward the picture to a few hours later and observe some more. Now do the same fantasy exercise at a slimmer weight. Does that create changes and are those positive or negative?

If it's a struggle to complete these exercises alone or the results are very distressing, its time to seek professional help.

Some people discover that in their minds shedding their protective layer will expose them to unwelcome attention. Others associate slimness with releasing a sexual self that frightens them. If uninhibited sexual expression is in any way seen as bad or dirty there can certainly be a vested interest in repressing sexiness.

Its most commonly thought that losing weight requires willpower and a determined effort to reduce calorie intake. When people focus their energy on identifying the need the fat is serving for them and finding other ways to meet or resolve that need, the fat becomes redundant and the urge to overeat diminishes markedly. Owning and enjoying one's sexuality plays a further role in wanting to nurture and enjoy one's body. After all it is a miraculous creation, capable of doing everything from carrying around an individual to generating enormous pleasure for them and their partner to enjoy.

* Robyn Salisbury is a clinical psychologist and director of Sex Therapy New Zealand, a referral network. To seek professional help with any sexual relationship problem phone 06 354-2449 or visit www.sextherapy.co.nz

(C) 2005 Evening Standard. via ProQuest Information and Learning Company; All Rights Reserved

It really wasn't all too long ago when I was very, very uncomfortable with my own sexuality. I wouldn't say that I was a conscious overeater, but that I never had a firm grounding about living a healthier lifestyle. I had serious self-esteem and confidence issues, but they were related in a lot of things that I would not feel very comfortable talking about here. It would have been safe to say however that I would have developed better had I access to decent therapy. So does this article make a connection? I think it has merit to it.

Nowadays? I still think I'm struggling with developing a sexual identity? But I feel I am ready to face those issues now. Infact, I'm yearning to do so. wink I've developed more confidence in myself now too. And Weight loss is one of those paths to being a sexual adult, in my view.

views, anyone?  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 2:19 pm
It's a very interesting topic. Such a vasy number of people these days aspire to be slimmer and have a better body, and people are recognising the importance of having a healthy lifestyle but at the same time people are putting on more weight. It's kind of unfortunate. sweatdrop

Me, I'm very shy on the matter. You woudn't think so if you met the rest of my year at school- most of them are more than comfortable with their sexual identity. And I get on with the opposite gender alright (just as long as they have a reasonable intelligence level and aren't mean jerks). I'm just really shy on this particular matter. Having said that, it's still early days for me, yet. whee

All I know is I'm losing weight for my own self esteem. Maybe there is a subconcious alterior motive, but I don't know it. xd  

Fuzzykit

Grip of Death
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:52 am
I guess that article would be something your psychology students would love to dig into, huh? Well.. being that I'm interested in that psychology junk, I can say I was interested in that article.

and hey, having a self-esteem is sexy, don'tcha think? ^_~  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 1:11 pm
I read the article and I have to agree. It was the truth, for me at least. I just hope that I can learn to face the uneasiness with my sexuality so that I can lose the weight.  

BlinkyTheRed

kochi~mochi

4,750 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Friendly 100
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:46 pm
I think that at the time i was really gaining weight, i was rather uneasy with the thought of boys finding me attractive, and i was afraid of the thought of becoming a "popular girl." Since then i have had a boyfriend (only for a short while, granted, but thats cause he moved) and have seen my friends who (even though i'm a VERY straight girl) are hott deal with the unwanted attention, and the knowledge that i'm too strange to ever become a scary popular girl, i'm ready to lose the weight. For a while i didn't care, and now i do. I think that says something too.

When i did the little exercise thingy that they mentioned in the artical, the only thing that was really different was the entrance itself. I was in tighter fitting cloths, and more energetic. I litterally pounced somebody, and i sat in somebody's lap (someting that i never do for fear of crushing them) In all honesty, i'd rather have the less-weight reaction then the current one.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 2:44 pm
Well, that article was certainly an eye opener, and has given me a great deal to think about at a later date.

I know I began to develop early, and I always have had one of the bigger bust lines in my school; there were few girls who could hold a candle to my abundant bossom! But I can remember clearly around the fifth and sixth grade when I was starting to ahve a real interest int he opposite sex that I also started to think myself fat; I was socially awkward, and probably more than a little immature for my age. It was then that I became accutely aware that I was different; during the transition from elementary school to junior high, when my peers were shrugging off games of make-believe, I still heavily indulged in them, and was shunned for it. Looking back, I can see how thin I was and longingly wish I could get back a wieght like that.

This article is certainly going to lend a new perspective as to how I approach my own weight loss attempts.

24 Hour Story Mule

Divash
Vice Captain

Eloquent Conversationalist

3,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:39 pm
I never made this connection before, but once I did start wearing more modest clothing, weight 'magically' started dropping from me. I could hide in clothing instead of having to hide in unhealthy fat.  
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 11:39 pm
I know that this is probably an issue for me. I've always been glad that i wasn't one of the "pretty" girls, though until recently it wasn't the 'fat chick' thing. I don't think I hide behind the fat, because I would still be unattractive without the fat, and in fact, putting on weight has actually made me more social, because I think us Ingin girls look better with the fat, we gain like Leelo's sister (I can't remember her name), all boobies and bottum. I have JLo booty, and apprently, random guys are always looking at my a**, and taking pictures of it with their phones. I would never believe this, but a few of my male friends pointed out guys who were doing it as they were doing it. They didn't do that when I didn't have an a**. I've also had a lot more sex and a lot more offers since I gained all my weight, but some of the attention has definatly been unwanted- and I think I've lost a few friends over it.

Or maybe guys are just vultures- that what my girlfriend thinks. When I broke up with my boyfriend a while back, three of them pounced on me before I could get him out the door. ********. Saying, "I need time" apperently means nothing when their little male brains are going, "must ********, must ********, must ******** know, I think this rant just proves that I am not at all comfortable with my sexuality, though I'm a pretty flaming bisexual. I think that losing weight and regaining confidence will be a way to get around the type of guys attracted to me now- the "must ********" mentality, and into guys who actually want a relationship and will love me for who I am...

If such a thing is possible... Which I'm not entirely sure it is.

What was the question again?  

takocos

Dapper Genius

4,275 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Befriended 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games