Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
I would like to improve =T

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Badeye

Shirtless Friend

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:21 pm
Hi guys, just your resident Badeye dropping in. My DA accounts are http://badeye.deviantart.com and http://eyestrain.deviantart.com .

So i'll post some examples of my work and try to keep coming back here with things I need help on.

Strengths:
Defining shapes in perspective (... sort of, it's a work in progress xD)
Male and female anatomy
Canines and birds
Hair/fur/feathers

Weaknesses:
Realistic anatomy D:
inorganic creatures
high detail
symmetry
composition

RECENT

Drawing of avatar:
User Image

Drawing of OC with digital color:
User Image

Tegaki roleplaying character- head at different angles:
User Image

Same character, but in serious drawing:
User Image

Please critique anything you can. I will organize things more/turn these into links instead of page stretching when I have new stuff to post. Please let me know if I can help you help me in any way xd

Thanks in advance!  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:52 am
Try defining your shapes with more light and shadow rather than relying on lines. Next time you shade/colour, imagine a light source. Use values for definitions and lines for distinction.

If you can get your hand on some Bridgeman or Loomis art books, it will be excellent.  

Mogtoats

Badeye

Shirtless Friend

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:41 pm
Thank you for the advice! I really do rely on lines a lot...
I will try to draw some stuff focusing more on lightsource than on lines.

I love Loomis, but i've never heard of Bridgeman. I'll look him up. Thank you!  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:25 am
Hi there! It looks like you're definitely on the right track, you've got proportions and anatomy pretty well on. Also great that you're comfortable drawing hands and feet since most people try to avoid it whenever possible. Regarding detail improvement, it's a minor tweak but will pump up detail and realism pretty quickly: if you just add a little more perspective indication on the belt (like, the top edge of the belt so it looks like it's made of thicker material) or add a couple more wrinkles to the wrappings around his forearms and at the bend of his wrist so it looks like the material's being affected by what's underneath it'll go a long way.

For your second image, if you want the ridge of his spine to be abnormally big then go ahead and push it out even more - exaggeration helps design decisions look intentional, instead of the possibility that it might've been a mistake. And again, adding more wrinkles on the fabric that follow the form underneath will help express that it's made of something with a certain amount of thickness and that it's a covering over the skin.

Good work! I'll be keeping an eye out for more of your stuff. 3nodding  

akanekun

Informer

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:16 am
The Martian
Try defining your shapes with more light and shadow rather than relying on lines. Next time you shade/colour, imagine a light source. Use values for definitions and lines for distinction.

If you can get your hand on some Bridgeman or Loomis art books, it will be excellent.
I'd like to add that you can use line to define light and shadow, as you've got in one of the later images posted.

I think you're doing well with figure work. Since that's your strong point, start posting things on your weak list. You can't improve unless you draw them.  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games