90%  [ 9 ]
Saturday
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 10

The Amazing Ryuu
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:20 pm
I think what we're trying to get at here is that your Sabbath day and your day of rest can be two different days. I can keep my day holy while I'm at work. Or, I can wait until my day off. It's not a disregard, it's just that not all of us are fortunate enough to have one day open enough to be restful and still go to church (or however you spend your fellowship).  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:59 pm
SavageDamsal
All I'm saying is that the focus of this day needs to be on God and thanking him for what he's done for us durring the week. It's not simply a day to do whatever it is you feel like.

We should technically make everyday our Sabbath. Our commitment to God isn't something we should renew only once a week- it's something that should be done every morning when we realize that we've been blessed with another day. I think that's the way in which Jesus fulfills this particular commandment, because if you notice, He totally said "forget those other ten, cuz I fulfill those, and take these two as the most important- the other eight are wrapped up in these two." Jesus shows us that relationships with God can be renewed. That was why He came. To show that God was reaching out to His people and trying to draw them closer. His resurrection seals this point I believe, and drives it home that while God may have asked for one day, now He asks for every day. By the same token, God also wants us to not burn ourselves out with work. It's a good precaution to have in there, especially for people whose work is their god.  

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

Priestley

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:20 pm
SavageDamsal
Wow! I don't mean to sound condemning or anything but really everyone is just twisting this commandment to however it suits them best. Does no one think that God really knew what he was talking about when he made that commandment? Everyones like, "well, he said this but I want to do this so..." I mean, I get the whole worshiping on Sunday thing even though its true roots are different from what people say now, but the total disregard for the Sabbath really gets me. I don't understand it.

Well, if you'd actually read any of the scripture to which I pointed you, you'd realise not to get on people's cases about this commandment. Jesus is Lord of the Sabbath. Jesus forgave sins. Jesus healed the sick on the Sabbath. Jesus and his disciples picked food to eat on the Sabbath. Jesus was against the Pharisees when they told him not to heal on the Sabbath and when they told a recently healed man not to pick up his mat afterwards. Jesus preached on the Sabbath. If it is okay by the Lord of the Sabbath, it should be okay by us.

You ignored my points about the definitions. 'Shabbat' means 'rest/inactivity' in Hebrew. 'Holy' in this context means 'set apart (for divine purpose)' as confirmed by (1) being different than the other six days and (2) because God rested on it. 'Blessed' means 'bestowed goodness/kindess upon'. It shows that God has given time for us to rest from our labour because He himself did it. Again, if it's good enough for God, it's good enough for us.

Any more objections?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:08 am
Really, I don't see that it matters. All days are the Lord's days. So long as you set one aside as especially holy in which to keep Him first and foremost in your thoughts, whose business is it to tell you whether it should be Saturday or Sunday?  

Galad Aglaron

The_Cursed_Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:28 pm
Well what i think is that it doesnt matter on which day you worship you should worship everyday if possible it doesnt matter when it just matters what not when what you worship.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:14 pm
I think it's important to note that 'shabbat' does not mean 'worship'. This isn't to say that you can't worship, just that it's not particularly set aside for worship.  

Priestley

Thread Archive {Hot topics}

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces