Welcome to Gaia! ::

Panic! At The Disco Fan Guild

Back to Guilds

A place for Panic! At The Disco fans to gather and discuss. 

Tags: Panic! At The Disco, Brendon Urie, Music 

Reply PANIC At The Disco Fan Guild
Interview (JON WALKER) with LiveDaily

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

jordanlaag

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:02 am
"I think when we wrote 'Pretty. Odd.,' it had more to do with the music we were just starting to get into after we were done touring," bassist Jon Walker said in an interview with LiveDaily.
"With this, it's a lot more about our real lives. When we were writing for 'Pretty. Odd.,' it was all overwhelming because we had just gotten off of a big tour off of our first album ['A Fever You Can't Sweat Out']. We didn't really know what we wanted to do. I think even after 'Pretty. Odd.' was finished being recorded, we still were kind of unsure if that was exactly what we wanted to do. I think this time around--now that we've been writing and things have been going the way they have been--we're a little bit more sure of ourselves this time around."
Walker explained he's not "discrediting" "Pretty. Odd.," but admitted Panic at the Disco was "a little bit lost then."
"We're very proud of the songs, but we were just unsure what we were supposed to actually be doing as a band," Walker said.
On a break from touring for the holidays, Walker spoke to LiveDaily about the forthcoming album, the new live CD/DVD collection "... Live in Chicago" and his sarcastic new song title.

LiveDaily:You're on a break from touring. Are you going to head out on the road again soon?
Jon Walker: You know what, yeah, probably sometime later next year. We're probably going to put out another record just after the holidays are over.

Have you already started writing and recording?
We haven't started recording, but we started writing. We kind of never stopped after the last record.

What's the direction that it's going?
It's hard to say. We wrote a lot of the songs pretty much just on acoustic guitar. They're probably going to change a lot once the whole band is playing them.

"Pretty. Odd." was your first album with the band, right?
Yeah, it was. It was great for me. I was one of the main songwriters in my other bands growing up as a kid. So, when I joined the band about three years ago, it was kind of unsettling for awhile because I was playing songs I didn't have anything to do with. Songwriting was a big passion of mine. When we started actually getting into the writing process, it was pretty nice that I was able to contribute. My relationship with the band really changed after we had that kind of experience together.

That's cool that the band is open to everybody writing songs.
I think we're just big believers in [the approach that] we all have our own duties to uphold. We are all good at certain things, and we kind of started to realize that about each other. I think we'll just continue to learn.

I recently watched "... Live in Chicago." It's so much fun.
Thanks. They sent the only copy to my mom's house. She won't give it to me. I'm going to have to go order one.

How does she like it?
She loves it. She's probably one of our biggest fans, besides my dad. They go to all the shows that they can. In Chicago, they haven't missed a show. They haven't been able to come to many others. They came to Vegas while we were recording. It was their first time there. It was a lot of fun.

Did you have fun shooting the extras?
It was really great having Shane [Valdez] around. He was around while we were doing the whole album. He's the one who filmed and put together the documentary for the deluxe edition of "Pretty. Odd." By the time we started touring, it was just so natural having him around. I really think the DVD came out well. It's really just who we are. It was just as natural as possible. It's just cool to be able to look back at that stuff. Even though it was only four or five months ago, it seems like it was already an eternity. It's kind of a bummer. I feel like we've been getting more and more progressively better live than the DVD, on the first tour. I still think the Chicago show was really good.

When you get the DVD, are you going to be able to watch yourself?
Yeah, I usually am forced to whenever I go to my parents' house. It's usually always on. I don't mind. We usually videotape the shows while we're on tour and watch them two to three times a week just like a football team, checking out what we did wrong and what we can do better. It's pretty interesting. Maybe in five or six years, I won't be able to do that anymore. Right now, I don't mind.

What's the most important thing you learned from watching yourself play live?
I think the most important thing I learned [is that] every little time I've messed up ... it's not as big of a deal as I think it is. Most of the time, you can't really tell.

I think the average viewer won't notice if you did anything wrong.
Subconsciously, knowing that in my head, it makes me more relaxed and more comfortable on stage.

One last question: do you have any song titles for your new album?
Yeah there's one tentative: "I Need to Take a Vacation."

That's not real, is it?
I don't know. [Laughs]

<3333333333JONNNNNN
lol aw jon's parents.
We're probably going to put out another record just after the holidays are over.

EVERYONE CROSS YOUR FINGERS

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:12 pm
But Jon, your whole life is like a vacation! xp heart
I wanna see the DVD User Image

Polyphonic Twilight

jordanlaag

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:47 pm
I love Jon. I want to marry him.

The DVD is on youtube!
just search panic at the disco live in chicago DVD in the days.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:34 pm
I know... but I feel bad watching it illegally! surprised
I probably will anyway though... because I don't have any monehz to buy it with.

Polyphonic Twilight

Asplosion Rainbow

Quotable Pumpkin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:15 pm
Hmm. OMG. An album.^^ I would love to see a new one after the Holidays.

xD Jon you can't take a vacation! We love you too much. 3nodding

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:54 pm
Haha. I think it's funny how he feels bad about messing up. Like, it's not like the crowd even notices. We'd only notice if Brendon messed up the lyrics. Musically, they can do just about anything and we'll only think they're trying something new again.

It's also funny that he watches the live videos. I didn't think Panic would do that.

PrimeOdd
Vice Captain

Polyphonic Twilight

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:54 am
PrimeOdd
Haha. I think it's funny how he feels bad about messing up. Like, it's not like the crowd even notices. We'd only notice if Brendon messed up the lyrics. Musically, they can do just about anything and we'll only think they're trying something new again.

It's also funny that he watches the live videos. I didn't think Panic would do that.
I remember one time Brendon messed up in "London Beckoned...", he said "better back your s**t up" both times. It was funny 'cause I was watching it with my brother and I said "better keep your mouth shut" and my brother is like "ha, you don't even know the words!" and I'm like "omg nuh uh, Brendon screwed up!" but he didn't believe me until I made him listen to the CD xp

I think it's funny they watch it too, it's like... either they really do want to improve, or they just like watching themselves play xp heart

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:47 pm
That Would Be Funny If They Named Their New Album That. Or If They Named It:

What. The. ********>  

Kylie the Cumbie

CipCake

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:31 pm
PrimeOdd

Spencer messed up in Atlanta and stoped the show. I'm still not sure if it was real or not because your not suposed to stop and apolose my freind said it was real.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:44 pm
CipCake
PrimeOdd

Spencer messed up in Atlanta and stoped the show. I'm still not sure if it was real or not because your not suposed to stop and apolose my freind said it was real.
Spencer messed up, and then Ryan stopped the show 'cause he thought the crowd deserved better. It was funny 'cause Brendon kept singing. And then they joked about it. And started the song over.
Good times <3

Polyphonic Twilight

PrimeOdd
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:07 pm
Polyphonic Twilight
PrimeOdd

I remember one time Brendon messed up in "London Beckoned...", he said "better back your s**t up" both times. It was funny 'cause I was watching it with my brother and I said "better keep your mouth shut" and my brother is like "ha, you don't even know the words!" and I'm like "omg nuh uh, Brendon screwed up!" but he didn't believe me until I made him listen to the CD xp

I think it's funny they watch it too, it's like... either they really do want to improve, or they just like watching themselves play xp heart

xD That's funny. 3nodding

I think we talked about how he messed up when you were at my house and we were watching the DVD together. Didn't we? -random flashback-

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:10 pm
CipCake
PrimeOdd

Spencer messed up in Detroit too! During the HCT, he messed up the beginning of one of the songs and then Brendon and Ryan just turned around and looked at him. They were like, "Nonono! Lets give this crowd a good beginning of the song like they deserve!" And Spencer apologized and then started the song correctly. xD It was like a, "WTF SPENCER?" moment.

PrimeOdd
Vice Captain

jordanlaag

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:11 am
PrimeOdd
CipCake
PrimeOdd

Spencer messed up in Detroit too! During the HCT, he messed up the beginning of one of the songs and then Brendon and Ryan just turned around and looked at him. They were like, "Nonono! Lets give this crowd a good beginning of the song like they deserve!" And Spencer apologized and then started the song correctly. xD It was like a, "WTF SPENCER?" moment.

You were at the Detroit HCT? I was there too, w00t w00t.
I don't remember that though.. Maybe it was because wherever I was in the crowd I couldn't really understand what they were saying.

I think during reading and leeds festival Brendon screwed up The Only Difference and he just like completely missed the first three lines.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:19 pm
PrimeOdd
CipCake
PrimeOdd

I think that's what I was talking about... Unless that happened in Atlanta and Detroit?! But that'd be weird.

& yeah we may have talked about it when I was at your house xp heart

Polyphonic Twilight

PANIC At The Disco Fan Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces