Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
What is the best time to stop eating at night?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Pink Rain Today

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:25 pm
User Image

I've read to lose weight, one must finish consuming food by six PM. Others state that eight is just fine, while new studies say that it doesn't particularly matter as to when you eat [though doing so an hour before bed or sooner might keep you up when you're attempting to sleep].

Does anyone have any particular recommendations as to this query?

"If your stomach feels weak my work here is DONE."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:44 pm
ive been thinking about it lately, and i blogged about it on a different site. Copy and pasting what i reckon is this:

A calorie is a calorie, no matter what time of day it is. You cant change that. Your body gets the same amount of energy if it eats a calorie at midday as it would if it ate it at midnight

Yes, perhaps the way the body stores energy is different at different times of the day. I dont know a lot about it, seems plausible to me that the body might be more inclined to hold on to fat and store energy late at night, because you’re not going to need that energy over night, since all you’re doing is sleeping. However, i also think (and i am aware i may be wrong here) that the difference in how you store energy at different times of the day/night is not going to be huge. Its not going to be the difference between losing 1kg and 5kg a week. It might be the difference between losing 400g and 500g a week. Perhaps thats important for some people. Its not for me, and its not something i worry about if i am eating at night within my calories for the day

---

But im open to other people's input  

Iconised Ghost

Pink Rain Today

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:16 pm
User Image

I agree with that for the most part.

I've been trying to end my consumption by six, but hasn't been particularly working out for me; so long as I'm done by nine and not snacking all through the night, I barely feel the need to chastise myself.

"If your stomach feels weak my work here is DONE."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:36 pm
It depends on when you go to bed, the general rule of thumb is three or so hours.  

Lady Schist

Sell Out Kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:07 pm
From the people I talk to, they said 8 was the 'absolute latest'...because, despite that a calorie is a calorie, you won't burn anything in your sleep. So, my advice would be to stop after 6, 7, or 8.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:18 pm
well,technically you must burn SOMETHING in your sleep, to maintain muscle, keep breathing, keep your heart beating, maintain body temperature- ur basal metabolic functions etc. Having said that, no you're not going to be burning a lot. I dont know. When you stop eating probably does make a difference, but my opinion is that the difference is so slight its not going to be your biggest concern  

Iconised Ghost

Starlurk

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:24 pm
A friend brought up a theory to me that we were trying out (she might still be trying it, I haven't been participating much). Anyway, we weren't eating an hour or two before bed to see if it would help our stomachs shrink a little over night (while we sleep) to see if it'd make us a little less hungry during the day.

It could have just been a placebo effect but it seemed to work for me (I'm a constant snacker), does anyone know if this works?
3nodding  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:28 pm
you actually burn about the same cals watching tv and doing nothing as when you sleep.

I need to find that article but it's like 3 yrs old  

Soi Tsuba

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games