Reply Bible Discussion {Get in the Word}
How many people read the bible? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

mangachan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:08 am
I have never read the whole entire bible but I do read it. And you know, it's not simply about reading it. It's about analyzing what the message is applying to your life too. But OP, I understand what you mean about the other students, and even the teachers in the youth group. I grew up in a church like that. Nobody my age really took it seriously. I took it seriously alittle more than they did but not enough.

Now I'm in college and the group that I'm apart of are very bible oriented. If this is something you're worried about you should start your own bible study group, even if it's just yourself and a couple of friends.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:09 pm
There is always the alternative of schooling your leaders in scripture if you believe to know better. I think leaving and setting up one's own Bible study group in spite of them is unloving and flies in the very face of the example Jesus set by preaching and teaching the word to those who did not make him unwelcome.  

Priestley

mangachan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:42 pm
Priestley
There is always the alternative of schooling your leaders in scripture if you believe to know better. I think leaving and setting up one's own Bible study group in spite of them is unloving and flies in the very face of the example Jesus set by preaching and teaching the word to those who did not make him unwelcome.

In spite of? You're right it shouldn't be a "lawlz u suck I'm a better Chistian than u" type thing. Just like get together with a couple of people and study the bible, it doesn't have to be anything formal or exclusive. Or if that doesn't work engage yourself in the bible study more. I don't know how anybody elses' bible study is run but if the leader asks a question or mentions a scripture you might want to relate it to real life. People can be very responsive to that.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:57 pm
mangachan
Priestley

In spite of? You're right it shouldn't be a "lawlz u suck I'm a better Chistian than u" type thing. Just like get together with a couple of people and study the bible, it doesn't have to be anything formal or exclusive. Or if that doesn't work engage yourself in the bible study more. I don't know how anybody elses' bible study is run but if the leader asks a question or mentions a scripture you might want to relate it to real life. People can be very responsive to that.

Either you've misunderstood me or you've paraphrased what I said incorrectly, because I don't understand the point you are trying to make in response to my post.

The OP seems to have an issue with the youth group as a whole for not having read the Bible. I don't understand why this should necessarily be an issue. If anything, the OP is adding to the problem by not speaking up about it.

Priestley

Stargirl8480

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:23 am
I actually love reading the bible, I love taking everything in and learning about God and Jesus' life. But I've noticed that if I don't carry my bible in my hand, or have it out on my desk, I forget to read it from time to time. I guess it kinda goes with "out of sight, out of mind" but not really. I got my first bible last november (I'm sure you all know that I'm a new Christian by now) and I have a checklist of everything and every chapter I've read so far...

I've read Mark, John, Acts, Romans, 1Corinthians, James, 2 chapters of Revelation and reading 2 Corinthians now :] I'm trying to read it all in one year. That's my goal!  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:13 pm
My youth group is very fortunate in this area. Everyone there has very strong faith and they can recite scripture for various life situations like nobody's business! I am so blessed to be around so many people that know the Bible inside and out because I myself sometimes don't find the time to read it. My youth leaders know most of the stories of the Bible inside and out. We also do this thing called SOAP (Scripture, Observation, Application, Prayer) so we read out of a passage and find something that speaks to us. Maybe for those who attend youth groups, or even those who have a small group of Christian friends, SOAP could be a good way of getting into the Bible one small step at a time! (:  

Casanova Rodeo

Etaoin Shurdlu

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:07 am
I've read the whole Bible by now, but not in any systematic way. I need to reread parts of it because some of it has gone from my memory.

I'm strongest in the New Testament rather than the Old, mostly because I've studied the New Testament.

I want to learn Greek so I can read the NT in the original language too - and Latin. I have Latin and Greek NTs, although I can't read them very well as yet.

I started reading the Bible as a teenager, and then read more of it especially when I was at university. Now I need to find a church that goes into depth about the Bible.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:05 pm
As some have said, I think it doesn't matter who teaches God's message, as long as it's taught. But lately I've been reading my Bible, something I've never really done before, and I've got to tell you, God's teaching and messages make a lot more sense and have a lot more relevance if you read them yourself.  

kita44

5,250 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Window Shopper 100

Atreadia Allaani

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:09 pm
I read the Bible every day. I think all Christians should. Paul exhorts Timothy to study the scriptures and to be ready to give an answer to them when needed.

2 Timothy 2:15 (King James Version)

Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

2 Timothy 4:2 (King James Version)

Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:28 am
I have.

My father told me when i was young, not to blindly listen to a pastor and only listen to what he says about the Bible. To always want to read things for myself and see opinions from a different view.

Very glad he told me that, I didnt realize until my teen years how FEW Christians actually read the entire Bible.... eek  

Call Me Apple

Sparkly Shapeshifter

Bible Discussion {Get in the Word}

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas