Submit

FaeDreamer

Dapper Gaian

1,650 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:23 pm
I've only actually read the first book of the Cleric series, it wasn't bad, definately interesting characters. I thought that the battles were a bit drawn out and overly discriptive of every action. But I'm not sure if that was just because it was the first book in the series and he's trying to get you used to the characters fighting styles.

I can say that my fiance is seriously into D&D and he loves the Elminster series by Greenwood and he really liked the Drizzt series as well.

Although I do find it amusing that when I told him about your debate as to whether Drizzt is EMO he replied "Yah...Drizzt is a little EMO" blaugh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:54 pm
Boy oh boy it's been a while since posting might as well start with a forgotten thread involving the Forgotten Realms twisted . I love the Drizzt books I read a lot of posts about the lack of emotional growth in the Drizzt character but you all seem to forget he is a relatively young elf. It can take decades to grow emotionally hence the slow change relative to the time line. The books are well written maybe a tad dull at times. Salvatore seems to be a character based writer and generally does a good job getting you to like the good guys and hate the bad guys. As far as Forgotten Realms fiction goes hes one of the best and unlike Ed Greenwood he is thankfully low on the random characters and red herrings.

twisted  

Onimaru-Sama

violet angel 824893

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 6:03 pm
i love Ra salvatore!
i've read the whole series and my fav characters are pikel, Gwen, and drizzt. Drizzt comes from a pretty rough place, and though he's good natured, he still has some characteristics in common with all drow too. thats why he's not as emotional. i dont like what happened to Wulfgar though. The last book i read though, they all were going seperate ways on new adventures, is there going to be new books?  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:39 pm
I love the legend of Drizzt series, I have just about all of them. One thing I don't think I could do though is sit down and read the whole thing through start to finish the way I can with other series. R. A. Salvatore has also been working on a new series recently called The Saga of the First King it consists of the Highwayman, The Ancient, and The Dame (coming out in August). It is an awesome series, once I picked it up I couldn't put it down.  

koorimefiregirl

Nimue_of_Avalon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:02 am
koorimefiregirl
I love the legend of Drizzt series, I have just about all of them. One thing I don't think I could do though is sit down and read the whole thing through start to finish the way I can with other series. R. A. Salvatore has also been working on a new series recently called The Saga of the First King it consists of the Highwayman, The Ancient, and The Dame (coming out in August). It is an awesome series, once I picked it up I couldn't put it down.

I've almost finished the Drizzt series and I've enjoyed most of them. I haven't tried his other series yet. Did you like the Saga of the First King better---was it similar at all to the other one? I'll have to check this one out.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:21 pm
Nimue_of_Avalon
koorimefiregirl

I've almost finished the Drizzt series and I've enjoyed most of them. I haven't tried his other series yet. Did you like the Saga of the First King better---was it similar at all to the other one? I'll have to check this one out.

I can't really say if I like it better or not, I like both series a lot. The Saga of the First King is similar to the Legend of Drizzt books in the action but the main character is more flawed and faces some very different challenges, also it is less of a "faithful companions" type story where the hero makes friends and they help him out on most of his adventures. I hope this helps.  

koorimefiregirl

Nimue_of_Avalon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:00 pm
koorimefiregirl
Nimue_of_Avalon
koorimefiregirl

I can't really say if I like it better or not, I like both series a lot. The Saga of the First King is similar to the Legend of Drizzt books in the action but the main character is more flawed and faces some very different challenges, also it is less of a "faithful companions" type story where the hero makes friends and they help him out on most of his adventures. I hope this helps.

Yes, thank you!  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:14 am
Sadly, i can't really get into the Drizzt series...but i love the Cleric Quintet and the Spearwielder's Trilogy (omg, monty python, guffaw xD) My fiancee owns like *every* Salvatore book.... he's obsessed!!!  

MusingDragonfly

Nimue_of_Avalon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:21 pm
I checked out the Spearwielder's Trilogy on Amazon and it looks interesting and not as indepth as the Drizzt stuff. I may have to check on that one.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:08 am
Onimaru-Sama
Boy oh boy it's been a while since posting might as well start with a forgotten thread involving the Forgotten Realms twisted . I love the Drizzt books I read a lot of posts about the lack of emotional growth in the Drizzt character but you all seem to forget he is a relatively young elf. It can take decades to grow emotionally hence the slow change relative to the time line. The books are well written maybe a tad dull at times. Salvatore seems to be a character based writer and generally does a good job getting you to like the good guys and hate the bad guys. As far as Forgotten Realms fiction goes hes one of the best and unlike Ed Greenwood he is thankfully low on the random characters and red herrings.

twisted

I don't know about that... I love Artemis Entreri, and Jarlaxle is pretty cool. Of course they're not really enemies any more so... idk the last couple of Drzzt books I read, it didn't seem like he was evolving as a character any more. Like he had kind of hit the limit of how much he could change.  

Angleic Shadow

Nimue_of_Avalon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:54 pm
Angleic Shadow
Onimaru-Sama

twisted

I don't know about that... I love Artemis Entreri, and Jarlaxle is pretty cool. Of course they're not really enemies any more so... idk the last couple of Drzzt books I read, it didn't seem like he was evolving as a character any more. Like he had kind of hit the limit of how much he could change.

My son has finished reading these series and said he was a bit disappointed in the way it was winding down. That may be why I haven't pushed myself to read the last two books yet, plus the fact that I've got so many books lined up to read!  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff