Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Back to Guilds

Achieve your weight loss goals! 

Tags: weight loss, weight, health, overweight, exercise 

Reply Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)
o_o;... Help me?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kay-VW

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:58 pm
DX, Guys, I really need help here. I want to lose weight sooo badly. I try not to eat too much, and too much junk food, But yet I still keep eating it. Today for example, my family had cookie candy day ( family tradition were everyone gets together and bakes a crap load of cookies and a ton of candies.) There was cookies and candy everywhere, EVERYWHERE! gonk I have had way too many cookies today.

Also, I have no idea what kind of exercising I should be doing.

So,basically, I need help!  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 8:16 pm
Something that really helped me (that I haven't been doing lately gonk ) is keeping a food journal. (I keep mine on the guild). It's nifty for days like today so you can see how much you've had and think "Okay next time I'll make sure to have one less cookie than I had today!"  

Starlurk

Lady Schist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:17 am
So. Cookie candy day? Does the rest of your family have weight problems? How often does this happen? If this is a once a week kind of thing, your family needs a new tradition. If this is a once a month kind of thing then overindulging on cookies isn't that bad as long as you're not overindulging on everything.

I'm overweight because I went through about two years where I'd just eat way too much of anything that went into my mouth. Now things are better, but I still over eat some times. Everyone does, don't beat yourself up too much. That's not constructive.

Is it possible to choose healthier recipes for cookies? (They exist)

If not, can you make it a cooking dinner event? or a potluck? Or, and here's what I'd do, not go every time? When my family has pizza, A) I'm vegan, B) it drives me wild because cheese is a weakness. I go for a walk. But I don't live at home so it's not terrible for me. Can you talk to your family?

Cookie candy day seems SO unhealthy for everyone involved. My mother would have an aneurysm at the mention of "lets get together and bake cookies and eat candy". Then she'd kill me all the while telling me that that's why I'm fat. Because she's got some issues with her weight and she projects them onto everyone. But that's my family not yours.

As for exercise, it depends. Do you have any physical things that you like? Can you ride a bike (my partner can't!) do you like to swim? Can you work exercise into your life in a way that means you'll be getting your workout AND something else accomplished? Like riding a bike to work, or something else?

Give me/us something more than "I don't know what to do!"

Asking for help is good, it's constructive, but you have to give the people you're asking for help more information. And above all else, you have to be ready to make little changes, or big ones. But your life needs to change. You and I didn't get to a place where we're uncomfortable with our weight by over eating once or twice at a family gathering.

And please don't let me frighten you or scare you or hurt your feelings. I know I sound mean but I maintain that I get it from my mother and she's always helped keep me in line. ._.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:39 am
Lady Schist
So. Cookie candy day? Does the rest of your family have weight problems? How often does this happen? If this is a once a week kind of thing, your family needs a new tradition. If this is a once a month kind of thing then overindulging on cookies isn't that bad as long as you're not overindulging on everything.

I'm overweight because I went through about two years where I'd just eat way too much of anything that went into my mouth. Now things are better, but I still over eat some times. Everyone does, don't beat yourself up too much. That's not constructive.

Is it possible to choose healthier recipes for cookies? (They exist)

If not, can you make it a cooking dinner event? or a potluck? Or, and here's what I'd do, not go every time? When my family has pizza, A) I'm vegan, B) it drives me wild because cheese is a weakness. I go for a walk. But I don't live at home so it's not terrible for me. Can you talk to your family?

Cookie candy day seems SO unhealthy for everyone involved. My mother would have an aneurysm at the mention of "lets get together and bake cookies and eat candy". Then she'd kill me all the while telling me that that's why I'm fat. Because she's got some issues with her weight and she projects them onto everyone. But that's my family not yours.

As for exercise, it depends. Do you have any physical things that you like? Can you ride a bike (my partner can't!) do you like to swim? Can you work exercise into your life in a way that means you'll be getting your workout AND something else accomplished? Like riding a bike to work, or something else?

Give me/us something more than "I don't know what to do!"

Asking for help is good, it's constructive, but you have to give the people you're asking for help more information. And above all else, you have to be ready to make little changes, or big ones. But your life needs to change. You and I didn't get to a place where we're uncomfortable with our weight by over eating once or twice at a family gathering.

And please don't let me frighten you or scare you or hurt your feelings. I know I sound mean but I maintain that I get it from my mother and she's always helped keep me in line. ._.

We have cookie candy day once a year. And no, I'm the only one in my family with weight problems. I do try to be more active, I walk to and from school, except during winter when there's snow and ice. And another question I have is is there anyway I can still try to keep active in the winter? Also, I don't own a bike, nor did i ever learn to ride a bike, and I also don't like to swim, the reason for that is I have had a slight fear of water/swimming pools since when i was about five and my parents signed me up for swimming lesons, and one day, I was walking by the side of the pool and slipped and fell in and about drowned o_o.

I try to eat healthy too, like, for a snack, I'll have a piece of fruit, or some kind of a vegetable; such as carrots.  

Kay-VW

__penguin__
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:45 pm
People are probably sick of me suggesting this by now ( ninja ) but have you tried Dance Dance Revolution? You can get old versions of it for PS1 for pretty cheap (old versions are just as good as new ones; my favorite is Konamix for PS1) and a dance mat for like $15. It's *great* exercise, especially once you get good at it (if you're new, though, don't expect to get good at it for at least a week or two of playing it every day... although I think it's fun even when you're a beginner!). I lost about 30 lbs in a few months by doing it for 30-60 minutes every day (along with eating a little healthier).

You could also run/jog or get a tae-bo video (I've only done that once but I got a really good workout from it) or other kind of aerobic exercise video. 30-60 minutes of aerobic/cardio exercise is a really good way of losing weight (and staying healthy in general).  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:09 pm
What i did to start is control my portion sizes, and try to exercise for at least 30mins for at least 5 days a week. That exercise can be anything i like, as long as it gets my heart rate up. I find that this is a nice way to ease into the exercise and eating regime. I also tried just changing one thing a week, so one week i cut out fizzy drinks, the next i cut out biscuits and so on. Now that im counting calories i have that stuff occasionally but i cant have too much because then i would go over my calorie limit. I've kept a food diary since i started on this site, if you want to have a look. I stopped marking down what i eat on that journal because i started to use a different online food journal and it took too long to do it twice over, but the begining is all fully logged  

Iconised Ghost

Lady Schist

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:35 pm
I'm getting smaller bowls as soon as I find out how expensive fixing my bike will be. That's the best I've heard for super easy portion control. Smaller everything. Small spoons, small cups for soy milk and cocoa, large cups for tea. : D

And really, cookie candy day isn't your problem, having a lot of good memories tied into food and food consumption, is not the best. But there are lots of ways to make super healthy cookies and then you A) won't feel SO bad if you overindulge, and B) you can try to influence your family into more healthy ways of life. And really, it's not even the worst, you guys bake your cookies, and cooking for yourself is always better than pulling it off the shelf.

If you're not the only one in your family with weight problems, does anyone else feel the same way about themselves as you? Can you get together with them and help each other?  
Gaian Losers (weight loss support guild!)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games