Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply [Rant and Rave]_____GLBT, Life-Topics, Politics, Rants
[Personal] Coming Out

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

pockyvampyre

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:49 pm
Ok So I have a question first...
Is it wrong to hide your orientation if you live with VERY Homophobic people?
Well, I KNOW Im Bisexual and my brother knows, alot of my friends from school know, Ive had a relationship with a guy. Who is know unfortunately an Ex...but what if your Parents or guardians are extremely homophobic, is ok if they don't know your Bisexual/gay?
Its pretty much impossible for me to express my orientation unless its on Gaia (because they don't know about y Gaia...hehe) Because...
1:My Grandfather is a major christian who will shove the bible down my throat.
2:My Grandfather is a church teacher.
3:My Grandmother works at the same church.

I have confronted my Grandparents, (Not in a good way.) About my orientation... It pretty muh went like this...

Brother: "Josh is making out with guys!"
Grandmother/Grandfather: "GASP!"
Pocky: "Ok, Ok, Im GAY!"

Then from there my Grandfather started to choke me and hit me, saying...
"Not while im alive."

So since then, I can't hangout with my now Ex ever.
So If I do get a chance to see him I have to sneak over there. (And I have to cross a highway, so he better appreciate it! xd )

So... I just want to know if its ok to hide my orientation to my Parentals. O.o

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:59 pm
Well...yeah. Go ahead and hide it, I mean of course you will have to tell them at some point, but by then if your dad chokes you you can break that old man's neck. Not to say he deserves such a harsh reaction, but to say you can finally defend yourself. Until then I really wouldn't want it free until otherwise. You coudl placate your ex as your best friend because they don't expect it to be so bad, believe me I have seen best friends I thought were damn gay but aren't. So yeah...go with that.  

Ceveo

Lady Gyrfalcon
Crew

Dapper Ghost

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:02 am
I'd say you don't really have much of a choice but to hide your orientation. D: I mean, with what your Grandad did and all. gonk
If your guardians are much the same in their way of thinking, it's definitely best to keep it under wraps for now. Since, well, I assume you're dependant on them, ja?

It might be helpful to look up some tips on coming out. I did, but then again I'm a little bit obsessive when it comes to being prepared for anything and everything. (I have a zombie uprising survival plan! ) Also, I like knowing stuff.
But anyway, here's the Beeb's (BBC's) guides to coming out: here and on H2G2.
Even if you just google the term, you're bound to get a lot of results back.
I'm only okay at giving advice myself, so I think those might help. 3nodding
The one thing that annoys me slightly is that some guides give no mention of bisexuality, but what can you do? The advice is still good.

Hmm, but finally, I have to say I don't think it would be a good idea for you to come out to them, at this time. D:  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:07 pm
Well believe me they know my bestfriend/ex is gay. My brother kinda caught us in the act...If you know what I mean. sweatdrop lol

Thanks for the help guys! ^_~

heart  

pockyvampyre

iLessThan3 Jamie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:18 pm
I know I'm a bit late to jump onto this bandwagon, but hey, I've nothing better to do at the moment! ^^; Not saying that your siuation isn't important or anything x.x

I have to say, I had a very similar terrible terrible experience with coming out. My father found some Yaoi I accidently left on the computer, and the conversation wen smoething like "Do you know what this is?", "...No...", "Don't lie to me boy!". Then, with the scent of vodka strong on his breath, he started to yell at me before back handing me for looking away. On many later occasions he singled me out from my siblings and abused me on a more regular basis--- then again, I always was the "smart" one who decided to stand up to him.

There is no problem without "officially" coming out to ANYONE, although, chances are, they've already heard it from one source or another. Your personal safety, physical or emotional, comes far before the opinion of any parental figure.

Coming out can be a horrible and scarring ordeal. I'd just like to make note that if your grandfather acts like this on a regular basis, if you can't match him in strength or wit, you should take the "cheap" shot. Then kick him a few times while he's down. No regrets, no regrets.

Peace love and prosper <3  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:38 pm
pockyvampyre
Ok So I have a question first...
Is it wrong to hide your orientation if you live with VERY Homophobic people?
Well, I KNOW Im Bisexual and my brother knows, alot of my friends from school know, Ive had a relationship with a guy. Who is know unfortunately an Ex...but what if your Parents or guardians are extremely homophobic, is ok if they don't know your Bisexual/gay?
Its pretty much impossible for me to express my orientation unless its on Gaia (because they don't know about y Gaia...hehe) Because...
1:My Grandfather is a major christian who will shove the bible down my throat.
2:My Grandfather is a church teacher.
3:My Grandmother works at the same church.

I have confronted my Grandparents, (Not in a good way.) About my orientation... It pretty muh went like this...

Brother: "Josh is making out with guys!"
Grandmother/Grandfather: "GASP!"
Pocky: "Ok, Ok, Im GAY!"

Then from there my Grandfather started to choke me and hit me, saying...
"Not while im alive."

So since then, I can't hangout with my now Ex ever.
So If I do get a chance to see him I have to sneak over there. (And I have to cross a highway, so he better appreciate it! xd )

So... I just want to know if its ok to hide my orientation to my Parentals. O.o

yeah, i know how you feel man.
My mom has no problem with it, but my step father is catholic. and if my brother found out, he would tell my dad who is EXTREMELY homophobic and he would pretty much hate me forever. I think my mom might know but idk. I don't really tell much anyone cept my friends, and they know not to tell my parents. I'm open about it, i just don't wanna deal with my parents talking to me about it.  

Jimmy Kitten

BlackBleedingRoses539

3,750 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Full closet 200
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:09 am
Go on and hide it. my plan was to wait till college so that i'd be out of the house, but it sort of slipped to my mother and after her reaction, and her homophobic family, i don't plan on telling them anytime soon!! my father wouldn't care(probably), but we have relationship issues and i think his family is homophobic too so i won't say anything...  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:38 am
I'd wait until you're living on your own--- out of college, steady income, no depending on you family for funding, ect., and then break the news. That way, backlash is kept to a minimum, and if they decide to cut all ties to you or whatever, it will have the least effect on your living and (from what I've read) status of well-being.  

The_Radioactive_Woman

[Rant and Rave]_____GLBT, Life-Topics, Politics, Rants

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff