Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 11:48 am
Steampunk + Hip-hop = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YT_J5HRsIY

Discuss.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:41 pm
I don't really do musical reviews/critisism.....but I think that the perticular cartoon format is highly appropriate for the song.  

Henneth Annun
Captain

Digital Malevolence

Greedy Bloodsucker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:32 pm
I think that guy has the best marketing scheme I've ever seen, or heard.

And is music is quite different then most other music I've heard...and I listen to power electronics and noise. neutral  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:26 am
The way I see it, Dr. Steel pretty much defines what steampunk music should sound like.  

L Ron Jeremy

Aged Hunter

AdrianaKitten

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:43 am
Caaaaaaaatchy.
I'm not familiar with streampunk, is this what most of it sounds like?
It's okay if for a long playful day and almost seems like very odd alt. pop without the darkness that usually goes along with "odd" pop. (tears for fears seems like odd pop to me)
I did not read the lyrics to make this judgement, should I have? sweatdrop

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:35 am
AdrianaKitten
Caaaaaaaatchy.
It's okay if for a long playful day and almost seems like very odd alt. pop without the darkness that usually goes along with "odd" pop. (tears for fears seems like odd pop to me)

Steampunk isn't a genre of music, really. People often try to apply the term to music, but there's no unified "steampunk sound". Steampunk is an aesthetic and a theme, and there are a large number of bands of very different genres who all call themselves "steampunk".  

GilAskan
Crew

MEOWITSTERRA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:39 pm
Aw, Dr. Steel is fun. The DJ played back and forth at his venue the other night. It was a blast!

Dunno about being a toy soldier, tho.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:47 pm
GilAskan
AdrianaKitten
Caaaaaaaatchy.

Steampunk isn't a genre of music, really. People often try to apply the term to music, but there's no unified "steampunk sound". Steampunk is an aesthetic and a theme, and there are a large number of bands of very different genres who all call themselves "steampunk".
Yeah, I never knew it to be anywhere near music just a theme, or style.  

Digital Malevolence

Greedy Bloodsucker

Keevan Draco

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:42 am
don't know if it's art, but I like it...

but that's the tricky point of art I suppose.
the whole "life imitates art imitates life" dichotomy.

Who's to say that the steampunk art inspires, in some weird fashon, a new genre of music?

I know it's a long stretch in comparison, but some of Blue Man Group's early works could be said to be the forerunner of "steampunk music". Another long stretch could be the crew from "Stomp". Both have played with the notion of a very industralized sound originating from basic mechanical means...i.e. hammer hits steel, mallet pounds drum in a rythmic fashion like an engine, throw in some basic vocals, and you have the simple frameworks of steampunk music.

I would compare the new style of music as "reverse goth". Instead of the fashion being inspired by the music, the music is being inspired by the fashion. I'm curious as to where it evolves from here...  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:01 pm
Just bought a bunch of his stuff....

Now I need to listen to it all. I really like what I've heard so far.  

Henneth Annun
Captain

Music - Related Topics

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces