Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Hierolatry

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:21 pm
The worship of Saints.
Most folks here are dyed in the wool pagans- and have worked very long and hard to distance themselves from Christian traditions.

On the other hand- a number of folks still have little figures of YHVH's henchmen lurking around their homes.

Still others practice Meso-pagan traditions that likely involve one form of hierolatry or another.

So- fess up. What icons do you keep? Angels? Saints?  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:12 pm
TeaDidikai
The worship of Saints.
Most folks here are dyed in the wool pagans- and have worked very long and hard to distance themselves from Christian traditions.

On the other hand- a number of folks still have little figures of YHVH's henchmen lurking around their homes.

Still others practice Meso-pagan traditions that likely involve one form of hierolatry or another.

So- fess up. What icons do you keep? Angels? Saints?
I have a rosary I bought from the Notre Dame Basillica in Montreal. Never officially used it. I got it because it's pretty, and the proceeds went to the maintenance of a very beautiful and historical building.

Yet I carry it in my purse for reasons unknown to me.

EDIT: I think my carrying it has something to do with my grandmother. I went to the basillica on a school trip. During this time my grandmother was very sick, and eventually, right before I was supposed to go, they decided to pull life support. However my mom prevented it from happening right about, because she felt that my grandmother would have been furious if they pulled it when I was about to go on a trip that I had waited for six months for. So they sent me, and effectly, what happened is that she died as I was on the charter bus coming home. (During which, I had a crying hyperventilating nervous breakdown *and of course, I'm listening to Sigur Ros while typing this, which puts me in a crying mood as it is sad Figures*).

I'm not nor have ever been a Catholic, but at the basillica I both bought the rosary and dropped money in the alcove with the patron saint for the sick.

So it's more a personal attatchment thing for me. Didn't originally occur because it's not a memory I love pulling up.  

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200

Collowrath

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:52 pm
Marie Sedembolestnej (Mary of the Seven Sorrows) is the Patron Saint of Slovakia and our people. I keep her in mind. At my university there is a statue of her that I spend time with.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:19 pm
I'm not sure she counts as either an angel or a saint, but I guess she's the closest I have to it. I've got a tiny brass statue (solid, too, she's got weight to her) of Kwan Yin on my desk above the monitor. I find her story comforting.

As for western style angels...the closest I own is probably my dead!Goku action figure. Hey, he's got wings and a halo! And he's practically guardian of the world! It counts!

Sad though - I spent years in a Roman Catholic household, and now have very little iconography from it. Unless you count stuffed dragons as a weird homage to St George or something. ninja  

Cranium Squirrel

Friendly Trickster

Neko_Bast

Tricky Cat

19,600 Points
  • Bookworm 100
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:31 pm
hum.....well my husband is into Christion mystisim (not really sure if thats the right term). Me on the other had, all I do is put up a tastfull nativity at christmas. My mom made it in collage and it just seems right to have it out.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:32 am
I don't have any christian icons per se (never was a proper christian).
But I have a variety of bibles I don't want to get rid of, I hold jesus in high esteem as a man and think his teachings hold alot of weight.
Similarly, I hold the Chruch of england in high esteem. I am thankful to those who established it and sorrowful about those who died because of it.

It paved the way to many things I see around me today and if I wanted to follow the religion of my ancestors, it would be this.

That said, christianity itself does not interest or fulfill me at all. sweatdrop  

patch99329

Conan The Barbie Doll

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:09 pm
I thought saint worship was a particularily Catholic thing. I've also read of saints being prayed to/called on in Voodoo.

Am I wrong?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:23 pm
Conan The Barbie Doll
I thought saint worship was a particularily Catholic thing.
Actually, that's rather insulting. It is specifically not a Catholic thing. Such would be considered heresy and has landed individuals in excommunication.
Quote:

I've also read of saints being prayed to/called on in Voodoo.
Hence my reference to Meso-paganism.  

TeaDidikai

patch99329

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:43 pm
TeaDidikai
Actually, that's rather insulting. It is specifically not a Catholic thing. Such would be considered heresy and has landed individuals in excommunication.

How is that?  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:51 pm
patch99329

How is that?
Worshiping Saints is strictly forbidden in Catholic tradition, the Catechism states that to do so is in direct contradiction with the Law of Agape.

If it is found that people are doing such, they are corrected. If they refuse to receive the correction they are excommunicated. Happened to some Nuns in the Mid-west US a while ago I recall. It doesn't happen often- most Catholics aren't that insane or stupid.  

TeaDidikai

TatteredAngel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:21 pm
It isn't in the form of an object or anything, but you'll often find me humming Christian folk songs. I grew up singing them, and not really in a Christian context, and they have nice words and nice sounds. I doubt I'll ever stop singing "The Land Where We'll Never Grow Old."  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:38 am
I don't remember personally owning any. My sister has a small coin with St. Christopher on it in her car, though - I think my parents might have given her that - and when we're missing stuff, we're told to pray to Saint Anthony.

There's another Saint for getting up on time, but that is either a mind trick that I've found works just as well without the prayer or I just turned it into one that does.

That, and most of my requests go to the universe at large, instead of specific people or angels or whatnot.

I used to wear a cross on a necklace, but I'd gotten that from a friend. I don't tend to wear jewelry for me, but I get necklaces as birthday presents every now and again, and I wear those for the friends who passed them to me.  

Maze

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff