Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Everything For Everyone Guild (EFE)
I'm screwed.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SapphireSara3
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:33 am
>>

I made a huge mistake. D:

In the beginning of the summer I decided to enjoy myself, putting off the summer assignment.

I decided I would start on the first day of August, but failed miserably. I was held back by work & stuff, so on the 20th, when I went to Arizona, I read Kite Runner & finished my math HW. All I had left then was to read King Leopold's Ghost & take down the main idea for each chapter & get an important quote.

I planed out the whole book so I had more than a week to read it, but it was so boring that I just gave up. I just erased it from my mind & decided not to worry about it anymore.

.... so now school starts on Tuesday & I haven't done the history summer reading. I was so desperate that I went online & looked for summaries, but they don't have them.

I'm so stressed out right now. D: I can't believe what an idiot I was.

I'm really sick now & I have a horrible cough & I just got the flu. I can't read for my life, it makes me feel more sick.

So guys, I really need some advice. What should I do? If my mom or dad find out about this, it's no going to be pretty at all.

<<

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:07 am
User Image

Dang. I did the same thing. Except my book in really small. >w<

I just finished To Kill A Mockingbird a couple days ago. Was only able to finish half my homework and school is the day after tomorrow.

I found a summary for chapter 1 but you probably already have it. I would have to pay $6 to get the full summary of all the chapters. gonk

I would buy it but I have no credit card. sweatdrop

I'll keep on looking summaries up.

Summary:

CHAPTER 1. "I Shall Not Give Up the Chase"
Summary
Henry Morton Stanley, who eventually discovered the source of the Congo, was born John Rowlands in 1841, a quarter-century after the Tuckey expedition. The b*****d son of Betsy Parry, he was unsure of who his father was and shunted from home to home before winding up at the St. Asaph Union Workhouse at the age of six. He left St. Asaph's at fifteen and at seventeen was offered a job on the American merchant ship the Windermere. He sailed to New Orleans, jumped ship, and then asked for a job from a cotton broker named Henry Stanley. Rowlands eventually took the man's name, but the story of his affectionate relationship with Henry Stanley and his wife is called into question by historical records; such embellishments were not unusual for Rowlands / Stanley, as seen by another story about a sailor named d**k Heaton who turns out to be a woman in disguise. Henry Morton Stanley fought for the Confederate Army, was captured, and got out by fighting for the Union as a sailor.

Stanley abandoned the Union navy in 1865 and became a newspaperman: he covered the Indian Wars in 1867 in dramatic detail, which caught the attention of James Gordon Bennett, Jr., the publisher of the New York Herald. Bennett sent him to cover a war between the British government and the Emperor of Abyssinia; a bribe to the telegraph clerk in the Suez assured that he had the scoop to this war, which further propelled his career and had him named a permanent roving foreign correspondent for the Herald.
Based in London, Stanley was aware of the growing interest in Africa and the increasing celebrity of African explorers such as Richard Burton and John Speke. There was not only a strong interest in the raw materials available on the African continent, but also a fervor to "civilize" and bring Christianity to the natives. The British were particularly interested in combating slavery, though the empire's high moral stance had a questionable basis, at best. Further, the main focus of much of Britain and France's antislavery fervor was directed not at Spain and Portugal or Brazil, but at Arab slave-traders raiding Africa from the east and bringing slaves back to the Arabian Peninsula. This was seen as abominable as it was one "uncivilised" race enslaving another (while the enslavement by other European or Europe-colonized countries continued); further, the term Arab was misused in such rhetoric, as they actually tended to be Africans adopting some aspects of Arab culture.

The epitome of all these European impulses was the British explorer Doctor David Livingstone, who became a national hero when he was the first white man to cross the continent from coast to coast. In 1866, Livingstone went on another long expedition and was not heard from for years. According to Stanley, his employer Bennett called him to Paris in 1869 and told him to find Livingstone. In spring of 1871, Stanley set out on an expedition of 190 men - the largest to date - and found Livingstone over eight months later, uttering the famous phrase, "Dr. Livingstone, I presume?" Stanley traveled with Livingstone for a time; the doctor remained in Africa and died there, while Stanley returned to Europe to great acclaim across the continent. There was some controversy with Britain's Royal Geographical Society, who sent their own expedition to find Livingstone just as Stanley prepared to leave Africa triumphant, and his nationality was questioned. On a more personal level, his fiancée Katie Gough-Roberts had married while he was away, wounding his pride deeply.

EDIT:

I don't know if these are too small or if you can't squeeze the chapters into each other but here's a website.
http://www.bookrags.com/studyguide-king-leopolds-ghost/chapanal002.html

Emo_Like_A_Dinosaur

SapphireSara3
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:08 pm
>>

Aww thanks Aaron.

I found that website, but I don't have a credit card either. : / That would be stupid anyways.

That's the closest I got to a summary also.

<<

Everything For Everyone Guild (EFE)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff