Welcome to Gaia! ::

~*The Official Post Your Progress Guild*~ Writers Support!

Back to Guilds

We support fellow writers by tracking and displaying word and page counts. 

Tags: Writing, Write, Poetry, Novels, Stories 

Reply Plot/Character/Genre Discussion
Plot Research Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Psychotic Maniacal Sanity
Crew

Chatty Pumpkin

8,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:43 am
I understand that completely. My boyfriend also writes, primarily action-based novels, which is totally different to what I write. However, I think we have a good thing going since his interests are totally different to mine and we can swap advice. Just yesterday he was helping me through a problem I'd been having with my 2010 NaNo novel (the underwater world detective one, if you remember) and thanks to him I think I'm about ready to get going on it again! All because he was more experienced than me with that particular research/plot problem. cool  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:05 am
Oh I wish I had that...I just get a turned up nose for genre. It is very frustrating! It's good you can bounce ideas off each other smile

DesertRoseFallen
Vice Captain

5,900 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300

Psychotic Maniacal Sanity
Crew

Chatty Pumpkin

8,800 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:45 am
My guy turns his nose up when I suggest he reads something literary. xd  
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:37 pm
When ever I want to write on a subject, I find a book that uses a similar concept and learn as much as I can about it.  

Shielsia

DayhawK68

Romantic Hunter

7,950 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:37 pm
User Image
私の愛さようなら。私が死んでいると私が戻ってくることはありませんのためにあなたの周りを参照してください。
Goodbye my love. See you around, for I am dying and I won't be coming back.

Personally, I love to research. I research even when I don't need to. Depending on what I'm writing I may research a bit to a lot. With my own sci-fi series I research on genetics, space travel, planetary systems, and general space facts. I consider this lite research.

Heavy research would be for my dark fantasy which takes place in history and in earth's some-what near future. Not only that but it deals with mythic creatures. So I research history from the 1300s (Scotland) to the 2000s (America), I research Dracula, the history of the Fae, and other mythic creatures, as well as the end times according to protestants and catholics. In other words I am STILL researching all of this after two years.

But then I have my current novel/series which is a complete fantasy world. Mostly what I research are weapons, animals used for battle/scouting, and things like that. I consider this kind of research fairly easy.

But anyways, I think it's a must to research as much as you can. The more you know the better you are able to translate the world in which you are trying to create and convey. I once met the author of the book 'Queen of the Underwold' Gail Godwin. Her advice to me was to research and then reseach your research. Meaning, don't just trust one source or bias, and make sure what ever you read is credible.

User Image
私の愛さようなら。私はたまらないのためにあなたの周りを参照して許してください。
Goodbye my love. See you around, for I am dying so please forgive me.

Plot/Character/Genre Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff