Submit

YellowRavenInk

Opinionated Bibliophile

12,775 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:55 am
Ok so I will be moving near London before the end of the year ( I currently live in Norway) and somehow I had the idea to open my own Gothic shop. I still need to find out a lot about it but I'm really willing to do it so if anyone here has suggestions and good ideas it would make me really happy and help me as well ^^.
Just post whatever you would like to find in the shop or the style people would like it, so that people can feel confortable once they enter it.
I personally don't feel confortable in most of the cloths shops for some reason =P  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:35 am
well, the best thing to do is to try to do something original! do you plan on making it a retail shop, or just a small, privately owned one?
i always envied the goth-lolita shops they have in japan, i don't know if there are any in europe but it heard its quite popular over there. just be creative and try to shy away from anything that would make people think of hot topic. they're ok but i mean they're all over the place. i'd like to see something different out there without having to make it myself.

Ayame_Rikimayu

doom1000

2,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Window Shopper 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:38 pm
my suggestion would be; start advertising a month before you open your store. Send flyers out to the local goth/punk/metal/alternative/emo clubs and bars in the area. And concert's.
Dont just buy stuff for you store that you like, but buy what you think other people within the scene would like.
Let your costumers be able to order things online. That way you can reach people who dont live in London.

And offcourse, be aware of what kind of style in londen like most. Its dumb to buy a lot of cyber falls and goggles, if every bodys more into the deathrock or rock'a'billy style. But dont dismiss it tottally. If a cybergoth comes in, and asks for some a certain kind of cyberfalls, it would maybe be a good idea to order some for her. Or at least help her find somewhere ells to find them.

A good reputation is basicly alfa and omega for a store like that.

oh, alomost forgot. Before you decides what exactly you want to sell, make some market research. Are there any other goth/punk/metal shops in the area?  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:43 am
Also, my one major problem with a lot of goth shops is they're so dark and cramped.
Sure, it might be a good look for a mysterious parlour, but not when you're trying to show off your wares.

If it's a chore to go through your items, people will avoid the shop.

Tainted Deity

YellowRavenInk

Opinionated Bibliophile

12,775 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:05 am
Ayame_Rikimayu
well, the best thing to do is to try to do something original! do you plan on making it a retail shop, or just a small, privately owned one?
i always envied the goth-lolita shops they have in japan, i don't know if there are any in europe but it heard its quite popular over there. just be creative and try to shy away from anything that would make people think of hot topic. they're ok but i mean they're all over the place. i'd like to see something different out there without having to make it myself.

Yeah I would definetly try to go for something original and kinda elegant, definetly a private shop, not something too little thought.

I never though that black would actually be bothersom for some people, that's good to know.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:48 am
What kind of items are sold at a goth shop? confused  

Eyelash Curlers and Stars

YellowRavenInk

Opinionated Bibliophile

12,775 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:54 pm
What kind of items are sold at a goth shop? confused
Well you sell gothic clothes and accessories, like bags wallets also jewelery accessoriesa and piercings, books regarding goth culture and shoes.

Basically almost all kind of stuff ^^  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:30 pm
try selling TRIPP clothing and have insence burning in the store don't just sell clothing sell nic naks and sell real black and red roses  

Bloody_Vampire_Heart666

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:53 pm
Bloody_Vampire_Heart666
try selling TRIPP clothing and have insence burning in the store don't just sell clothing sell nic naks and sell real black and red roses

Don't do this.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:07 pm
great ideas ppl, keep em rolling!

a. know your market.
b. find your niche and fill it.
c. multi task by finding the hard to find.
d. sometimes word of mouth beats out full page adds.
e. know your market.
f. being helpfull instead of pushy goes a long way.
g. be honest with your customer base, if you don't have it, then find a way to acquire it for them, or offer them a similar product at lower prices.
h. find what's hot and what's not by frequenting those places where your customer base hang out.
I. you can start to build your customer base by finding out how much they are willing to pay for their clothing and accessories and find a way to beat that price.
J. custom handmade items and clothing command top dollar due to the labor involved in the creation of the items.
k. remember to have fun in your store, if it's all hard work 24/7 then you get burned out and tired and you pass on your negative attitude to your customer base. customers can smell negativity in a store like a shark in a feeding frenzy.
L. remember to "have a life" outside your store. business is business and play is play, and rarely should the two ever meet in the real world.  

Keevan Draco

Nikki the Juggalette

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:28 pm
Bloody_Vampire_Heart666

Sounding too close to hottopic, like everyone said try to be different than this. And she never said she was just selling clothing, but shoes acessories, items, ect. Keep a wide range of items as there is a wide range of goth styles, have a little bit of every kind in your store. That way if someone comes in you have something there for everyone or you know how to help them get it.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:58 am
KeevanSixx
a bunch of wise words of advice

I have to second the indie-design market. While a lot of people here don't like Tripp (IE Hot Topic style clothes), I think it is a good idea to have at least some. Because you know some of their items are staples for certain gothy types (especially more fashion-inexperienced ones). It is good to have variety. My favourite shops here in town are the ones that have that perfect mix of clothing.

I would add, that you should try and canvass the local designers (of both clothing and jewelry). Look around at the shops that are already there and find out who the most famous local designers are. Try posting on craigslist, kijiji, or local papers asking if anyone is interested in selling at your shop. Then you can pick what you what you like best.

Good advice from everyone so far.

Slightly OT: I'm jealous of you for getting to live in both Norway AND London razz  

trampyre

YellowRavenInk

Opinionated Bibliophile

12,775 Points
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:38 pm
trampyre
KeevanSixx
a bunch of wise words of advice

I have to second the indie-design market. While a lot of people here don't like Tripp (IE Hot Topic style clothes), I think it is a good idea to have at least some. Because you know some of their items are staples for certain gothy types (especially more fashion-inexperienced ones). It is good to have variety. My favourite shops here in town are the ones that have that perfect mix of clothing.

I would add, that you should try and canvass the local designers (of both clothing and jewelry). Look around at the shops that are already there and find out who the most famous local designers are. Try posting on craigslist, kijiji, or local papers asking if anyone is interested in selling at your shop. Then you can pick what you what you like best.

Good advice from everyone so far.

Slightly OT: I'm jealous of you for getting to live in both Norway AND London razz

Thanks a lot smile
hehe yeah is actually really interesting to live in different places, I did live in Denmark as well 3nodding and I must say that after venice Copnhagen is the most beautyful city I have seen so far.  
Life Issues & Fashion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games