Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Hair Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gambling Setzer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:25 pm
When it comes to hair, when I was a child, I believed that hair was in important to memory. Foe each strand lost, a memory was lost. The longer a hair, the better the memory, or more detail in it. Shorter or newer hairs were newer memories. It goes on. Although now I find it kind of silly, I still can't come to terms with having to cut my hair. (I'm balding on top, but my hair is fairly long now, roughly halfway down my back.) for fear I may forget something important.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:06 pm
i haven't had too much experience with my path and hair (Deo, that is very interesting and would love to learn more...i'm still such a newbie with my Germanic roots, confused )

otherwise in just life, i did notice that i had an amazing urge to cut my hair super short after my ex and i broke up. i donated it to Locks of Love and got a new style and highlights. my family and i always thought that when we got our hair cut, it was almost a sign of releasing the past (we felt lighter afterwards).  

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Ulfrikr inn Hrafn

Friendly Gaian

4,900 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:22 pm
Heilsan,

Personally, I find that having long hair and beard is a symbolic recognition of my Germanic Folkway heritage. Most depictions of the age of Germanic men show them with longish hair, and some form of facial hair.

For further good information on the hairstyles and some of the significance of hair to the Germanic Folk, you can visit: http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/hairstyl.shtml

Much of the time I have my hair tied back in a pony tail, for the simple reason that it is most of the time rather warm in Australia. I love the colder months when I can let my hair out more often. Typically, when I undertake a Blot, I do prefer to have my hair out, but it often depends upon my mood on the day.

Ver thu heil  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:50 pm
Ulfrikr inn Hrafn

Much of the time I have my hair tied back in a pony tail, for the simple reason that it is most of the time rather warm in Australia. I love the colder months when I can let my hair out more often. Typically, when I undertake a Blot, I do prefer to have my hair out, but it often depends upon my mood on the day.
Have you come across any references to hair and "family luck"?  

TeaDidikai

PrayThatThisEnds

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:20 pm
niamhybeag
I read an article about a British girl who was recently told by courts she was allowed to wear her kara as a symbol of her Sikh faith, and I know that not cutting ones hair is important to the Sikh faith too. So I was wondering. Does hair play a part in your beliefs or practices at all?

That goes for males also, btw.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:53 am
Long time since I've posted here...

My hair is close to 4 inches past my shoulders right now. I'll probably get it trimmed soon.

I prefer having longer hair. For one, I think I look better with it. It feels great too.

I'm currently trying to grow out my beard, but my hair is too patchy and bears an awkward resemblance to peach fuzz.

One custom I grew up with was to never have my sideburns shaved. It's a Hasidic Jewish thing (although, other Jews have adapted the custom). Even though my father abandoned the faith at a young age, he always made sure my hair was slightly longer in the sideburn region.  

Astrox

Ulfrikr inn Hrafn

Friendly Gaian

4,900 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:09 am
TeaDidikai
Ulfrikr inn Hrafn

Have you come across any references to hair and "family luck"?

To date no. From what I have come across, we have some indications of the possible connection, but nothing firm.

Tacitus provides that the Chatti grew their hair full until they had slain someone, at which point they would shave off their facial hair (pre-supposing that the hair on the head remained long), and hence become a member of the community. For them the wearing of a beard was a mark of cowardice according to Tacitus.

Conversely the Suevians grow their hair long, and tend to either tie it in a knot or pile it atop the head which Tacitus supposes is done to increase the height of the warriors.

The only other mention of hair from Tacitus is the practice of the removal of the hair of a woman whom commits adultery. It can be seen from this that the tale of Loki's removal of Sif's hair, would then have additional meaning and hence for the aggravation of Thor upon it's discovery.

From what I can gather, it seems that the idea of hair being linked to Hamingja, for the most part is a modern concept, albeit one can see that the Germanic Folk did have particular patterns of thought on the wearing of hair, and that there were many more Germanic tribes than just the Suevii and the Chatti, so attitudes towards hair certainly could have a great deal of variation.

Ver thu heil  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces