Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians
Can I have some help finding sources, pls?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Kasumi Ocada

Smitten Citizen

6,850 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:55 pm
Respect is given to all of other opinions, but I'm in the pro-life guild and recently a girl posted something she had heard in the Abortion thread that's in the ED forums here on Gaia.

It was basically a claim that pro-lifers should be vegetarian since pro-life should (in that person's statement) mean pro - all life. Most responses were moderately against this idea and I wouldn't have said much of anything at all except that someone made the claim that we need to continue to raise livestock to feed the masses as "we have a food shortage as it is."

I tried explaining to them that the resources could be used to feed far more humans by comparison, but this is the general response that I received:

I.Am
Kasumi Ocada
If it's unnecessary for me to require the life of an animal to survive, then I don't do it. You can live a perfectly healthy life without consuming any animal products at all. In regards to what I.Am said, even if it is or were true that most grains fed to animals are unfit for humans, the point I was trying to make earlier is that the resources (land, manpower, etc...) could be used to grow foods for human consumption and, indeed, that conversion could cut down on hunger worldwide.
Well, while that's possibly true and I did consider that, it strikes me that, if the land used to grow food for feed were capable of growing food for humans, it would be; Animals are just as willing, I would assume, to eat the good oats, and that way you wouldn't have to waste any. The reason they aren't is because a lot of land can't support the good-tasting grains, but can support hardier plants that animals don't mind eating.

This, of course, doesn't mean all land used for animal food. But there's a substantial amount.

So... would anyone be willing to help me find sources to show what I mean? I just want to make sure they understand not only my point of view (agreeing with the original statement) but also what I mean. This man is under the assumption that we don't use the land to grow crops for humans because it just isn't possible.  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:05 pm
I would ask that person for sources to support the notion. I've eaten oats meant for livestock, and it seemed edible by humans to me. It takes more investment to grow something like beans than hay, and then with beans you have to have a processor, where hay is just put into bales....  

OregonLoveShaman

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff