Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Keep Calm I am The Doctor

6,200 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:43 pm
I haven't done painting yet for the army (I say army. Its one unpainted Rhino and one armless heavy gunner. lol ) and had the idea of painting the tank, then,as it dried, sprinkling traces of sand over it to try and make it appear as if it'd seen heavy action before on a sandy planet.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:35 am
i wouldnt advise that... instead look at photos of tanks currently fighting in the east. (as they are mostly on arid, sandy areas) these tanks are not covered in sand, as it is dry, it doesnt stick much. mostly just on the tracks. wet sand is darker in colour (brown rather than tan) and even then would only stick to the underside of the tank and maybe just above and around the tracks as they throw it up if the tank is moving fast enough.

if you wish to do dry sand though, as brown sand would look like mud on a model. you could use what i said for wet sand but paint it Tan coloured (Snakebite Leather if you are using GW/Citidel paints) this wouldnt be strictly true in life, but you should be able to get away with it.  

Darkweaver66

6,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Brandisher 100

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:42 pm
There was something on the GW site I saw a long time ago about doing weathering on tanks, but I could never navigate that site worth a damn. Does anyone know the section I'm talking about?  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:54 pm
do you mean Tank Environmental Effects?

(this is on the United Kingdom GW site)

::EDIT::
i advise using the 'Dust' effects to represent sand  

Darkweaver66

6,400 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Brandisher 100

[.Psycho.Doughboy.]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 2:31 pm
Hmmm, I guess I need to pick up some bestial brown, since blasts seems to be the best for making battle damage, but I don't have a dremmel tool. Any other ideas for doing battle damage on a tank?  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:03 pm
fire - link
do you mean Tank Environmental Effects?

(this is on the United Kingdom GW site)

::EDIT::
i advise using the 'Dust' effects to represent sand
It's not, actually. There was one with the Tau Devilfish with the salt crusting paint job...?  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:35 pm
The Angels Knight
I haven't done painting yet for the army (I say army. Its one unpainted Rhino and one armless heavy gunner. lol ) and had the idea of painting the tank, then,as it dried, sprinkling traces of sand over it to try and make it appear as if it'd seen heavy action before on a sandy planet.
Give it a heavy drybrush of light browns to represent the amounts of sand dust. Also, heavily weather the tank around the edges to represent the scraping effect of sand on a vehicle.  
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games